WA trip

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Loztralia

WA trip

Post by Loztralia »

I'm in Perth for Christmas and will be having a day or two in Margaret River. Time will preclude stopping at more than a handful of wineries, but I'm looking for some recommendations for unmissable destinations.

In the past I've been to Cullen, Gralyn, Voyager, Vasse Felix, Clairault, Sandalford and Wise - what else should be on the list? Good red recommendations especially interesting to me.
3, 65, 7, 50

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Does Howard Park have a CD in MR? Pity Mt Barker's somewhat further from Perth, the riesling's very nice.

Cheers

daz

TORB

Post by TORB »

Daryl Douglas wrote:Does Howard Park have a CD in MR? Pity Mt Barker's somewhat further from Perth, the riesling's very nice.

A very swish one.

It sounds like you hav ebeen to many of the best ones alraedy but these are also right up there.... Cape Mentelle, Happs, Woodlands, Woody Nook and Xanadu.
Last edited by TORB on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I'll second Ric's recommendation of Howard Park.

In addition to those already listed, I'd recommend Thompson's, Fermoy, and Brookland Valley. And, of course, there's always Leeuwin Estate.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Tom A

Post by Tom A »

Loz,
I just did a mad dash down last weekend, always good to get away for a day or two. We hit up a few of the wineries but the standout for me was Hay Shed Hill. I've never been a huge fan of their gear (nothing bad, nothing that good) but their recent stuff was easily the pick of the trip.

Two places I visited that I hadn't been before was Flametree and Brown Hill. Both a bit out of the way but the wines were quite good value for Margaret River. Juniper Estate had some nice wines (chard especially), Gralyn was a little bit of let down (even with 05 reds), leeuwin and voyager were as always pretty good. Venison farm also on song. Enjoy.

cheers

TA

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Thanks for suggestions so far. I had Woodlands on the possibles list already and I'd love to go to Howard Park, though doing so involves the ever-pointless task of trying to convince Mrs 'Tralia that Riesling is acceptable. I'll do what I can with the others, but keep them coming...
3, 65, 7, 50

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

I'd go for Woodlands, Brown Hill and Happs, all mentioned above and Flametree is on my list for a visit in Jan given its recent successes. Maybe Moss Wood too if you are into appointments. HP has a big cellar door in MR but the reds have rarely done it for me, I have to say, although I still have to try 04's and 05's of the top end stuff. Their riesling is usually a ripper.

Gotta love that venison shop and the best pies are at the Gull petrol station just south of the junction at Karridale. If you go that far south, try Briarrose Estate and maybe Green Valley on the outward/return leg.

Cheers

Dave

DaveL

Post by DaveL »

I've got a real soft spot for Willespie, I like their gear and they release their wines with a decent amount of bottle age.
Ground control to Major Tom, take your protein pills and put your helmet on.

naomi

Post by naomi »

definitely Brown Hill. I was in Margaret river just over a year ago and they were a stand out for me. Great reds, and great Sauv blanc too.

Paullie

Post by Paullie »

Happs

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Paullie wrote:Happs

Ten years ago, I thought Happs had the best Merlot in the country. Haven't had any in many years to give a current comment.
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

Mike_A

Post by Mike_A »

i'd also suggest you try Brookland Valley their reds and whites are great and Flutes resturant is very good as well.

regards

mike

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

Well Happs and Woodlands are on the definite list then, and I'll do my best with the others.

Been to Brookland before, in fact we got a quote off them for our wedding. I found their cellar door a bit impersonal I must admit though that probably shouldn't be a surprise - that said I've had better experiences at other big operations' CDs, Penfolds and Vasse Felix to name but two.
3, 65, 7, 50