Restaurants knocking off your wine?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Red Bigot

Restaurants knocking off your wine?

Post by Red Bigot »

An odd experience at a restaurant in Griffith (ACT), well actually it seems to have happened twice.

Late last year we had a wine-group dinner at this restaurant and fairly late in the evening a bottle of 96 E&E Shiraz was opened and did a quick pass up the table, people taking only small quanties, so should have been at least a third left. Soon after looking for a second sip the bottle (and any contents) had disappeared, although there were other empty bottles on the table.

We put it down to mistaken impressions at the time, but last Friday I went back with a small group of 6, 5 drinkers. The first wine was a Moet&Chandon NV. The waiter poured 5 glasses from the bottle, still in the chiller "skirt" I brought it in and then whisked the bottle and skirt away. The glasses were quite large flutes, but two of the glasses were a lower level than others, so I would guess an average 100-110ml serve. When we asked for a top-up we were told it was all gone. We asked them to double check and they told the same story. The chiller skirt was returned some time later.

Coincidence? Suspicious mind? Anyone else experienced anything similar.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I get the same problem at home, so it isnt just a restaurant issue.

A bottle of champagne in reasonable size flutes really is only 5 glasses anyway poured just below the rim

I had the experience of a whole bottle of chardonnay being poured into 4 glasses last time I went out! However they couldnt get the knives and forks the right way round so i didnt really expect too much pouring etiquite to be demonstrated!!

Angels share??

Handy

Post by Handy »

I've seen the same thing happen at a restaurant in Griffith, but not to me. I did have the same thing happen at a three hat restaurant in Sydney where I spied the staff sampling our wines. I don't let my BYO bottles out of my sight now. I can understand the temptation, and usually offer some to the waiter, but don't appreciate them helping themselves.

dlo

Post by dlo »

Brian,

Firstly, I must state, to the best of my memory/knowledge, I've never had such a thing as you describe happen to me in all the years I've attended wine dinners at restaurants all over the country. Most have been pretty obliging. One sommelier (at a renowned establishment) opening/trying every wine, out of sight and without our expressed permission, is about the worst case I can offer.

If your suspicions are correct, this is a terrible act verging on theft. I am most suspicious of restaurant staff and sommeliers whisking wines away immediately you get to the restaurant. While they're out of sight, who knows what's happening to them. I'm with Handy, by keeping them in sight, they remain safe. Even the occasional restaurant has taken (varying degrees) of offence at our insistence of opening, pouring, decanting our own wines, mostly into our own glasses, sometimes into our own decanters!

You'd think by paying reasonable (sometimes outrageous) corkage, supplying all the paraphernalia and doing all the "hard work", discreetly and without fuss, not to mention regularly offering a sip, a glass or the dregs for the staff and/or kitchen, might just be regarded as doing them [the staff] a mighty favour.
Last edited by dlo on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

I don't specifically remember being in Canberra recently...but this is exactly the sort of thing I like to do. Knock of other peoples wine...if they are good wines then they will find a better home this way. In the case of the 96 E&E I would have tipped it down the sink to save the diners the uncomfortable task of removing splinters from their tongues. I hope you tipped them well!

GW

http://www.winorama.com.au

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

dlo wrote:Brian,

Firstly, I must state, to the best of my memory/knowledge, I've never had such a thing as you describe happen to me in all the years I've attended wine dinners at restaurants all over the country. Most have been pretty obliging. One sommelier (at a renowned establishment) opening/trying every wine, out of sight and without our expressed permission, is about the worst case I can offer.

If your suspicions are correct, this is a terrible act verging on theft. I am most suspicious of restaurant staff and sommeliers whisking wines away immediately you get to the restaurant. While they're out of sight, who knows what's happening to them. I'm with Handy, by keeping them in sight, they remain safe. Even the occasional restaurant has taken (varying degrees) of offence at our insistence of opening, pouring, decanting our own wines, mostly into our own glasses, sometimes into our own decanters!

You'd think by paying reasonable (sometimes outrageous) corkage, supplying all the paraphernalia and doing all the "hard work", discreetly and without fuss, not to mention regularly offering a sip, a glass or the dregs for the staff and/or kitchen, might just be regarded as doing them [the staff] a mighty favour.

dlo, this is the only restaurant in a similar number of byo dinner years where I think it has happened to me, but I have heard the occasional anecdote of similar happenings and wondered whether anyone else had seen/suspected this happening.
Cheers
Brian

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Gary W wrote:I don't specifically remember being in Canberra recently...but this is exactly the sort of thing I like to do. Knock of other peoples wine...if they are good wines then they will find a better home this way. In the case of the 96 E&E I would have tipped it down the sink to save the diners the uncomfortable task of removing splinters from their tongues. I hope you tipped them well!

GW

http://www.winorama.com.au

We've tried putting out Hunter reds as bait, but they never disappear and the staff make sure we take it all with us when we leave. ;-)
Cheers
Brian

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

rooview wrote:If you're speaking of Rubicon I'd be mighty surprised. They are one of the most BYO friendly, good glass providing restaurants I've been to. The wait staff I've dealt with know their stuff and are reluctant to take samples even when suggested. As for Aubergine, I haven't been there for a year...

I wasn't going to name the restaurant as I'm not 100% sure of the situation, but it wasn't Rubicon.
Cheers
Brian

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

It seems obvious from these posts that people from Canberra and New Zealand are not to be trusted......just an observation....everybody else should be fine

Christo

Post by Christo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"You are what u drink!"

Adam

Post by Adam »

Brian,

You can relax, it wasnt the restaurant.

Next time if you watch closely you will see a man in a black coat and black hat with a white frilly shirt lofting around the corners and darkened areas. His name is Dr Ahnoose.

He is known to sculk around BYO dinners and pinch fine wines.

Billy Bolonski

Post by Billy Bolonski »

RB

I have experienced this happening to me in the past. Rarely thank god! I now keep my eyes open to the levels and location of my wines at all restaurants.

At this particular restaurant I would request to have the wines remain at your table or go to other establishments. Plenty of good BYO in Canberra.

You might also like to direct the owner/manager of the restaurant to this thread annonomously.
Philosophy, I'm in it for the money.

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

..and this si why we carry hand guns in Florida!
:)

Waiters Friend

No shortage of opportunity

Post by Waiters Friend »

I agree with the majority of posters that wine theft/fraud is a possibility when the precious bottles leave your sight. For most casual BYOs, I carry a Cellarmasters product that holds two bottles in styrofoam casing, plus 4 tasting glasses and a corkscrew (although I've replaced all the glasses and the corkscrew over time). I prefer to open my own bottles (especially by twisting the screw) and there's no dramas about ownership, and the 'laptop' (as the carry-case is lovingly nicknamed) seems to bridge the gap .

If a restaurant does the honourable thing with an older wine, then I would prefer if they decanted in front of me (or allowed me to do the deed).

If you're REALLY pulling out irreplaceable wines for a dinner, then you should insist on serving them yourself (unless you implicitly trust the establishment in question). There have been occasions where I have provided the wine and the glassware, and performed all the service, without causing offence or attracting a hefty corkage fee.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.