Calling the Hunter Valley Experts...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter

Calling the Hunter Valley Experts...

Post by Guest »

Hi Guys,

I'm planning a trip to the Hunter Valley soon and am seeking some advice regarding good cellar doors to include on the itinerary.

I've been to the hunter a couple of times and have been to many of the most popular / well known CD's including Mcwilliams, Tyrells, Brokenwood, Peppertree etc and am looking for some new places to try out

I'm a big fan of hunter Shiraz and Semillon so if anyone has any suggestions for quality cellar doors (please don't suggest mcguigans or Tempus 2 ....aaagghhh)

Regards
Steve

Handy

Post by Handy »

Try Tower Estate and Keith Tulloch. But make sure it's Keith Tulloch and not those other Tullochs. Keith's semillons in particular are excellent and his Kester shiraz is very much Hunter style.

Also up near Tyrells is Kulkinbulla who do semillons, chardonnay, shiraz and an excellent cab merlot.

I've also enjoyed trips to the Petersons cellar door but I think more and more of their wines are coming from Mudgee these days.

Scarborough has an excellent cellar door (with cheese!). They do semillon and shiraz now but are still best known for their chardonnays.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Tyrell's is an outstanding cellar door with it's Vat range on tasting with back vintage comparison. Keith Tulloch is excellent too.

Beware of slick Sydney like marketeers in the Hunter. Wine is often much cheaper at your local bottleshop. You will tire of Member's Only specials and Cellar Door only wines ( which you will dicover at Dan Murphys in the case of Lindemans ).

escargot

Post by escargot »

If you get the chance, call into Big Als for lunch - located in Newcastle CBD. A little off the track but worth it :D

DJ

Post by DJ »

escargot wrote:If you get the chance, call into Big Als for lunch - located in Newcastle CBD. A little off the track but worth it :D

:lol: Alright so I have fond memories of the joint as a teenager when the food was better than other fast options and it had my favourite video game but ...
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23