Bleasdale

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
VinoEd

Bleasdale

Post by VinoEd »

I haven’t had much Bleasdale wine, other than a few old bottles which have found there way to Christmas lunches and the like courtesy of others. They always seem (at least recently) to rate highly with certain critics and the pricing seems reasonable.

I grabbed a few bottles from last year (haven’t tried yet) and don’t often see them mentioned on this forum.

So…. Does anyone rate Bleasdale and if so, what are the picks?

Cheers Ed
Last edited by VinoEd on Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waiters Friend

Re: Bleasdale

Post by Waiters Friend »

I've only tried a couple myself, but there's some Frank Potts cabernet blend in the cellar, including one double magnum.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Ed, Apparently Paul Hotker (winemaker) can't put a foot wrong. At least in JHs eyes!!
Like Allan, I have a few vintages of the Frank Potts (Bordeaux Blend). Picked up the 2019/21s for less than $20.
On another forum that I am on, punters speak highly of the Mulberry Tree. The winery puts out a large range plus quite a few fortified wines.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I used to love the Frank Potts blend, for it having decent complexity on release, but also cellaring well. A brilliant each-way bet.

I've not seen any in a while though (it used to be an Oddbins stalwart until they f*cked themselves over)

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Thanks for the responses.

I’m fascinated by them in some ways, they seem to fly under the radar despite being a critic darling and very well priced. I’m going to have to dig one out of the storage and give it an early whirl to see if it’s a winery to invest some more time in.

Cheers Ed

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I recall they do some nice Malbecs and blends.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Great Malbecs and good Cabernet. The whole range is very good VFM. Frank Potts is a good wine.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Agree with all above comments, and they are certainly flying under the radar since ownership changes 10 - 15 years ago.
And you certainly don't fluke a Jimmy W. win with a GSM! Also, always good value on wine lists. There must be something in the water in LC because the other great VFM label is Lake Breeze.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

WineRick wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:58 pm There must be something in the water in LC because the other great VFM label is Lake Breeze.
Indeed I recall one of the peculiarities of the region, was regular winter flooding of the vineyards.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes Bremerton river floods the vineyards most years.
When speaking of LC...don't forget the mighty Metala...put LC on the map!
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

phillisc wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:25 am Yes Bremerton river floods the vineyards most years.
When speaking of LC...don't forget the mighty Metala...put LC on the map!
Cheers Craig
Yes, and I reckon the proportion of LC fruit in Wolfies first three Jimmy W's would have been quite significant.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Lake Breeze! That's a name I had forgotten about. First tried their wines back in the mid 90s. Fantastic value for money.
Why don't we hear any chatter about Langhorne Creek? We need some young and trendy winemaker to put it back on the map.
Is it's good enough for Wolfe then it's good enough for me. 😁
Cheers

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

TravisW wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:15 pm Lake Breeze! That's a name I had forgotten about. First tried their wines back in the mid 90s. Fantastic value for money.
Why don't we hear any chatter about Langhorne Creek? We need some young and trendy winemaker to put it back on the map.
Is it's good enough for Wolfe then it's good enough for me. 😁
Cheers
It's already on the map! Why get the Bogong moths to push a $25-30 bottle to $75 just so they can brag about it. Get on the mailing lists of a number of LC winemakers and just keep mum about it.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

WineRick wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 pm
It's already on the map! Why get the Bogong moths to push a $25-30 bottle to $75 just so they can brag about it. Get on the mailing lists of a number of LC winemakers and just keep mum about it.
I love the specificity of not just moths to a flame but Bogong moths ! :D
------------------------------------
Sam

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Langhorne Creek experienced massive planting of grapes a decade or 3 ago with majors the big players. LC fruit has been used in many multiregional blends for decades. As stated above Wolf Blass put it on the map. Cooling breezes from Lake Alexandrina and flooding from the Bremer River (although only experienced by some of the original wineries) produced some pretty smart fruit. Reds only I think. Malbec does well there. Lake Breeze produce some great wines. Their cabernets are excellent and age well.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work