Bleasdale

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
VinoEd

Bleasdale

Post by VinoEd »

I haven’t had much Bleasdale wine, other than a few old bottles which have found there way to Christmas lunches and the like courtesy of others. They always seem (at least recently) to rate highly with certain critics and the pricing seems reasonable.

I grabbed a few bottles from last year (haven’t tried yet) and don’t often see them mentioned on this forum.

So…. Does anyone rate Bleasdale and if so, what are the picks?

Cheers Ed
Last edited by VinoEd on Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waiters Friend

Re: Bleasdale

Post by Waiters Friend »

I've only tried a couple myself, but there's some Frank Potts cabernet blend in the cellar, including one double magnum.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Ed, Apparently Paul Hotker (winemaker) can't put a foot wrong. At least in JHs eyes!!
Like Allan, I have a few vintages of the Frank Potts (Bordeaux Blend). Picked up the 2019/21s for less than $20.
On another forum that I am on, punters speak highly of the Mulberry Tree. The winery puts out a large range plus quite a few fortified wines.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I used to love the Frank Potts blend, for it having decent complexity on release, but also cellaring well. A brilliant each-way bet.

I've not seen any in a while though (it used to be an Oddbins stalwart until they f*cked themselves over)

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Thanks for the responses.

I’m fascinated by them in some ways, they seem to fly under the radar despite being a critic darling and very well priced. I’m going to have to dig one out of the storage and give it an early whirl to see if it’s a winery to invest some more time in.

Cheers Ed

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I recall they do some nice Malbecs and blends.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Great Malbecs and good Cabernet. The whole range is very good VFM. Frank Potts is a good wine.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Agree with all above comments, and they are certainly flying under the radar since ownership changes 10 - 15 years ago.
And you certainly don't fluke a Jimmy W. win with a GSM! Also, always good value on wine lists. There must be something in the water in LC because the other great VFM label is Lake Breeze.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

WineRick wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:58 pm There must be something in the water in LC because the other great VFM label is Lake Breeze.
Indeed I recall one of the peculiarities of the region, was regular winter flooding of the vineyards.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes Bremerton river floods the vineyards most years.
When speaking of LC...don't forget the mighty Metala...put LC on the map!
Cheers Craig

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

phillisc wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:25 am Yes Bremerton river floods the vineyards most years.
When speaking of LC...don't forget the mighty Metala...put LC on the map!
Cheers Craig
Yes, and I reckon the proportion of LC fruit in Wolfies first three Jimmy W's would have been quite significant.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Lake Breeze! That's a name I had forgotten about. First tried their wines back in the mid 90s. Fantastic value for money.
Why don't we hear any chatter about Langhorne Creek? We need some young and trendy winemaker to put it back on the map.
Is it's good enough for Wolfe then it's good enough for me. 😁
Cheers

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

TravisW wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:15 pm Lake Breeze! That's a name I had forgotten about. First tried their wines back in the mid 90s. Fantastic value for money.
Why don't we hear any chatter about Langhorne Creek? We need some young and trendy winemaker to put it back on the map.
Cheers
It's already on the map! Why get the Bogong moths to push a $25-30 bottle to $75 just so they can brag about it. Get on the mailing lists of a number of LC winemakers and just keep mum about it.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

WineRick wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 pm
It's already on the map! Why get the Bogong moths to push a $25-30 bottle to $75 just so they can brag about it. Get on the mailing lists of a number of LC winemakers and just keep mum about it.
I love the specificity of not just moths to a flame but Bogong moths ! :D
------------------------------------
Sam

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Langhorne Creek experienced massive planting of grapes a decade or 3 ago with majors the big players. LC fruit has been used in many multiregional blends for decades. As stated above Wolf Blass put it on the map. Cooling breezes from Lake Alexandrina and flooding from the Bremer River (although only experienced by some of the original wineries) produced some pretty smart fruit. Reds only I think. Malbec does well there. Lake Breeze produce some great wines. Their cabernets are excellent and age well.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

So I retrieved a couple of bottles from storage and gave them a whirl.

The Grenache was a light cherry red colour, good acid profile, but of tannin, good mouth feel - a bit more structure than some Grenache I’ve had (noting I’m an absolute novice who hasn’t had much of the varietal). At the $30 a bottle mark it’s decent value. Not sure I love Grenache enough to purchase again.

The Mulberry Tree by contrast is a much darker colour, and is classic Cabernet. Tannic, dark fruits, oak and dense in its early life and to me showing a good potential to age and grow in interest. This is a great get at the $21 price per bottle.

Cheers Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

JH rated the Mulberry Tree at 95/100 so although JH's rating are generally generous, at $21 it looks like a steal to me.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Chuck wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:31 am JH rated the Mulberry Tree at 95/100 so although JH's rating can be generous, at $21 it looks like a steal to me.
Dan's have it as a member's special at $17 pb. Astonishing value.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Chuck wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:36 am
Chuck wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:31 am JH rated the Mulberry Tree at 95/100 so although JH's rating can be generous, at $21 it looks like a steal to me.
At that price it could be the new Metala, minus the Shiraz of course!! :wink: :wink:
Cheers Craig

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Chuck wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:36 am
Stop twisting my rubber arm!

Great value. Will have a look.

Cheers Ed

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

TravisW wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:15 pm Lake Breeze! That's a name I had forgotten about. First tried their wines back in the mid 90s. Fantastic value for money.
Indeed one doesn't hear much about Lake Breeze. Back in Canada I found a few bottles of the 1999 'Bernoota' Cabernet-Shiraz on clearance and after tasting one went back and picked up the remaining few to drink and cellar as I felt it could use more time. After a long hiatus I came across a pair of 2007 'Bernoota' and immediately scooped them up.

Wolf Blass credited Langhorne Creek fruit for his numerous show medals. The first Yellow Label Cab-Shiraz I ever drank, a 1983, had Langehorne Creek prominently on the label - and a fine bottle it was!

Cheers ................ Mahmoud.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

The fruit for Noon Reserve Shiraz and Cabernet comes from Langhorne Creek. Very sought after wines….
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Mahmoud Ali wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:08 pm
Indeed one doesn't hear much about Lake Breeze. Back in Canada I found a few bottles of the 1999 'Bernoota' Cabernet-Shiraz on clearance and after tasting one went back and picked up the remaining few to drink and cellar as I felt it could use more time. After a long hiatus I came across a pair of 2007 'Bernoota' and immediately scooped them up.

Wolf Blass credited Langhorne Creek fruit for his numerous show medals. The first Yellow Label Cab-Shiraz I ever drank, a 1983, had Langehorne Creek prominently on the label - and a fine bottle it was!

Cheers ................ Mahmoud.
I've always had bottles of Lake Breeze wines in the stash. Mainly the Bernoota and cabernet. Smart wines. Nice winery to visit. As you pass over the elevated entrance road (to escape floods) the gnarled old vines to the left give an indication of the history.