Adelaide Visit - Cellar Door Suggestions Please

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
I Love Shiraz

Adelaide Visit - Cellar Door Suggestions Please

Post by I Love Shiraz »

Going for a holiday to Adelaide for 6 days later this month, and not 100% settled on which regions to visit. Don't think I will go cellar door visiting for all 6 days, maybe 3-4 days.

I was thinking maybe Barossa, Clare, and tossing up between Adelaide Hills/McLaren Vale.

Any suggested itineraries? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

phillisc

Re: Adelaide Visit - Cellar Door Suggestions Please

Post by phillisc »

I Love Shiraz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:16 pm Going for a holiday to Adelaide for 6 days later this month, and not 100% settled on which regions to visit. Don't think I will go cellar door visiting for all 6 days, maybe 3-4 days.

I was thinking maybe Barossa, Clare, and tossing up between Adelaide Hills/McLaren Vale.

Any suggested itineraries? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Michael, there is plenty of info already on here. Suggesting these four areas is a tad overwhelming for the punters (well for me anyway) on this forum. We could give you a list of 100+ wineries which would all be good in some shape or other.
My suggestion to do a region in 3-4 days is just pick one, or pick a sub region e.g. Greenock, northern Barossa and then head north 50 km to focus on Clare. Yep its summer and it might be warm, but you'll have all those fabulous 2022 Rieslings to cool the palate and likely far less crowds. There are lots of wineries where you can do by appointment, e.g. Neil Pike's Limefinger, Kevin Mitchell's Woodvale Vinters, Steve Baraglia's Naked Run and so forth.
I was surprised by the BV in January, it was incredibly busy. MV will likely be the same, being too close to Adelaide can be a negative, plus there are too many 20 somethings going to all the gin joints and pizza palaces. I don't buy much AH, do like Petaluma Lenswood and Shaw and Smith Shiraz.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

Thanks Craig. Good advice

Yeah definitely will go to the Clare to taste 2022 Rieslings. I love Riesling. Picking a BV subregion also makes sense.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

Thanks Sean. Lots of great advice there.