Best Australian Chardonnays

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Dragzworthy

Best Australian Chardonnays

Post by Dragzworthy »

Curious to know which Chardonnays people find as the best that Australia has to offer. Obviously it depends on a stylistic preference (bolder with more Malo Vs leaner and more mineral) but perhaps fair to say that there's a consensus on some (Leeuwin Art Series, Giaconda spring to mind). What are your favourite chardonnays?

Mine, in no particular order, a top 10 if you will:

1. Giaconda
2. Pierro
3. Leeuwin Art Series
4. Tolpuddle
5. Fermoy Estate Reserve
6. By Farr GC Cote
7. Stoney Rise Holyman
8. Sorrenberg
9. Penfolds Yattarna
10. Cape Mentelle

People may find my selection of the Mentelle a tad unusual but I find it great year in year out, akin to a Chardonnay version of the Wynn's Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon.

JamieAdelaide

Re: Best Australian Chardonnays

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Great thread and will be following as I’m not so experienced with modern Aussie Chardonnay.

Yattarna has been quit age-worthy in my experience as has Giaconda

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Yes I like Yattarna as well.
I think there's a lot of variety in Australia with regards to styles and that's not just a function of taste but also ageability. I think whilst Giaconda ages well, I'm not convinced Sorrenberg does despite being from Beechworth as well.

I notice my list has nothing from the Huntee Valley or Yarra Valley.

andrewpc

Post by andrewpc »

A few more that I'm a fan of:

Cullen Kevin John
Toolangi Block F
Freycinet Vineyard
Garagiste Terre Maritime
Moorooduc

Andrew

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

The good thing about Australian Chardonnay is that there are differing styles and the quality is high. Personal favourites include

Tarrington
Yabby Lake Single Block(and single vineyard in good years)
Bobar
Latta Vino Jurassique
Flamtree STS
Brash Higgins Bloom
Cobaw Ridge
Vasse Felix Heytesburry
Penfolds BinA Series
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Tapanappa one not mentioned so far which I think is very good off the few tastings I’ve had.

I do find it hard to go past the Margaret River classics though.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Dragzworthy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:37 pm I think whilst Giaconda ages well, I'm not convinced Sorrenberg does despite being from Beechworth as well.
I'm with you on the Sorrenberg - love the wine, but not convinced it will age as well as others.

I'd add Vasse Felix Heytesbury and Howard Park Allingham to the mix.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Bytown Rick

Post by Bytown Rick »

Any fans of the Montalto Pennon Hill Chardonnay from Mornington Peninsula? Not at the same level as many of those cited already, but the 2018 was very enjoyable at a good price.

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Not had the Montalto Pennon Hill... I've had their basic level Chardonnay and that was good but a step away from excellent.

There's actually quite a few I've not had: Tappanappa, Cobaw Ridge, Bobar, Tarrington, Latta Vin Jurassique, Garagiste Terre Maritime etc. I may struggle to find these where I am (Singapore) but I'll keep them on the list for when I get back.

Its surprising to see the equivalent of Woolworths here stocks the Stoney Rise Holyman Chardonnay

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Dragzworthy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:37 pmI notice my list has nothing from the Huntee Valley or Yarra Valley.
I would have thought that Tyrrell's Vat 47 Chardonnay would have been a candidate for consideration. Furthermore they age really well, as evidenced by a 1995 Vat 47 that was drinking beautifully a couple of years ago.

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Yes I have only ever had this wine on one occasion, if was the 2012 vintage back in December 2019. My notes indicated that I enjoyed it but it wasn't remarkable. Perhaps I should try and seek out some more.

What would the other top end Hunter Chardonnays be? I recall Lakes Folly make one.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

nice list.
for me, Chardonnay is Australia's best variety, many world class wines.
Leeuwin Estate my number one, Giaconda has slipped appreciably over the past 5-7 years, and is hanging on courtesy of it's reputation and lazy wine critics. Best in the Beechworth region now Sorrenberg, as mentioned, and Savaterre, which should be on anyone's shopping list. The 2019 Savaterre is maybe the best Victorian chardonnay I have yet seen.
Margaret River the go-to area, then Beechworth, then Tassie, mainly up North.

I'd also add Flametree SRS Walcliffe to the list of Aussie greats, not many vintages thus far, but another excitement machine out of the Margaret River.

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

What would you say are the better less known Margaret River Chardonnays?

For me the Fermoy Estate was outstanding but I struggle to find it

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Bindi Quartz?
Mount Mary?
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

I confess, am I a luddite? I think I have maybe 1 bottle of Chardy in the cellar...way too much good Riesling and Semillon :shock:
I had a bottle of Petaluma Tiers a couple of weeks ago, was very nice, courtesy of a friend...shocked when I found out the price, $120 or thereabouts!!
Smashed though by a 2012 JB Florita :wink:
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Dragzworthy wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:08 pm What would you say are the better less known Margaret River Chardonnays?
Devil's Lair. Just days after I bought some 2013 Devil's Lair Chardonnay my friend served me the 2012 vintage. I was impressed and thought that it was worthy of putting away.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

I have always loved Dave's 864 from Oakridge.
MM and YY always good

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

grosset piccadilly.
Pretty consistent had a few of these.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

I am not really into Chardonnay that much, probably because I generally get underwhelmed with it, or it could be just my preference for the higher acidity Rieslings, hence looking at these posts with interest for suggestions.

One the best examples I have had was a 2015 Tumbarumba Chardonnay from the Courabyra Vineyard. No oak, no malo. It was 'minerally', and complex.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Been buying the odd 6-pack of Penfolds BinA when the price is right. The 17A is probably one of the great Australian Chardonnays at present.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

For me, the Leeuwin Art Series is still head and shoulders above the rest for constant quality. But the next best to my tastes are (not in order):
Mount Mary
Pierro
Hoddles Creek Syberia
Sorrenberg
Cobaw Ridge
Shaw and Smith M3
Domaine Naturiste Artus
Dappled Single Vineyard
Holyman

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

LEAS is the best IMO, but several of the ‘A’ series by Penfolds are outstanding.Even better than Yattarna most years for my tastes.

platinum

Post by platinum »

Yattarna is the best for my taste , followed by tolpuddle, bindi , yabby lake , pierro and (giaconda which used to be clearly ahead but has dropped off in recent years)

Chardonnay and shiraz along with sticky’s are Australia’s strongest wines on a world scale after shiraz cab blends

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

platinum wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:41 am Yattarna is the best for my taste , followed by tolpuddle, bindi , yabby lake , pierro and (giaconda which used to be clearly ahead but has dropped off in recent years)

Chardonnay and shiraz along with sticky’s are Australia’s strongest wines on a world scale after shiraz cab blends
That's the second or third mention of yabby lake so definitely need to try that.. actually not sure why but I've only really had (and thoroughly enjoyed) their Pinot Noir wines.

I also agree with regards to Chardonnay being one of the best varietal in Australia. There is an interesting article in the Age today though suggesting this is vulnerable to change in the next decade as a result of Global Warming affect our climate change.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

platinum wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:41 am Yattarna is the best for my taste , followed by tolpuddle, bindi , yabby lake , pierro and (giaconda which used to be clearly ahead but has dropped off in recent years)

Let's not forget Hunter sem.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

With Yattarna, whilst a bloody good Chardonnay, I feel you're paying a premium for 'the story', as with Grange.
I've always thought RWT was a better buy.
With LEAS Chardonnay, does anyone pick up rather strange secondary flavours with bottle-age. It doesn't seem to be varietal and is certainly not oak?

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Dragzworthy wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:08 pm What would you say are the better less known Margaret River Chardonnays?

For me the Fermoy Estate was outstanding but I struggle to find it
I'm really out of touch with many newer producers now. I just don't get to many tastings any more, so the breadth of my experience has dwindled...
My little list of Margaret River producers that make decent Chardonnay
Leeuwin Estate (both Art Series and Prelude)
Vasse Felix (both Heytesbury and Estate)
Voyager Estate
Pierro
Flametree SRS
Cherubino
Cape Grace
Brookland Valley (used to make an Estate version and a Reserve version)
Howard Park (Estate and Reserve)
Cullen
Moss Wood can be very good
Stella Bella
Clairault Streicker (Ironstone Block in particular)
Deep Woods
Juniper Estate
I could continue this list, there are just so many!
There are a number of very prolific consultant/contract winemakers showing off their considerable skills in Margaret River, and it can pay to follow them closely. Mark Messenger is one such individual, Mark Warren another, and Bruce Dukes, but I'm pretty sure there are others with the Midas' touch

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

If we had to narrow down to our top 3 Chardonnays, what would they be?
A clear winner might emerge.

I'll start;
Penfolds Bin A
Giaconda
Apsley Gorge

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I don’t have the exposure to make a definitive list. Never heard of Apsley ( gives an idea how out of the loop I’ve been ).

I’ve liked Cobaw Ridge and an accidental favourite, Craiglee, which has aged well under the premise of little expectation.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Penfolds Bin A
Leeuwin Art Series
Giaconda

Not in that order, necessarily