Discovery of 2019

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Ozzie W

Discovery of 2019

Post by Ozzie W »

Not your best wine (we have another thread for that), but what wine (or wines) did you discover last year that you: a) really enjoyed and would want to drink again, and b) you didn't know it existed before.

I discovered a little Italian gem of sparkling Pelaverga Rosé -- 2013 Castello di Verduno Verduno Pelaverga Sciopel Brut Rose

Pelaverga is a rare red grape from Piedmont. I'd tasted Pelaverga previously as a still red and also a still white, but I didn't know it was made as a sparkling. Best Italian sparkling I've ever had.

JamieBahrain

Re: Discovery of 2019

Post by JamieBahrain »

Roxeise ( Rossese Bianco ) another rare Italian white that ages nicely and provides high levels of interest for yep, about $20AUD. Resurgence of these native styles around Piedmont is a labor of love for many serious Barolo or Barbesco producers,. In this case, Manzone of Monforte.

Ozzie consider a stay at Castello di Verduno or at least dinner. You will enjoy that drink as an aperitif in their gardens.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Saperavi - Hugh Hamilton Wines Black Ops' from McLaren Vale. Ripping wine.

AdamR

Post by AdamR »

When I was introduced to wine I was always told how wonderful old Aussie Riesling was. And I agree it’s lovely. I kept buying older wine or late releases wines since.

Last year I bought them young and I’ve found regions in which I much prefer them within their first year. Polish Hill is one of those. So my discovery was O’Leary Walker Polish Hill. Under $20

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Matt@5453 wrote:Saperavi - Hugh Hamilton Wines Black Ops' from McLaren Vale. Ripping wine.
I have been a fan of their Saperavi (the Oddball) and the Black Ops for years. Haven't had one in awhile though.
------------------------------------
Sam

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

A couple come to mind...
The 2018 Quinta de Soalheiro Vinho Verde Soalheiro Primeiras, thanks to Ian's tips. Not that I hadn't had Vinho Verde of course but I guess that had fallen off my radar and I was stuck in a mind set they were cheap nothing wines to drink anonymously by the glass when in Portugal.

Or maybe the 2016 4 Kilos Vi de La Tierra Mallorca, 100% Callet, that reminded me a bit of the wines of Etna.

And then there was the White 2011 Orlando Abrigo Langhe Chardonnay, which was the current (aged release), remarkable for what it was.
------------------------------------
Sam

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

sjw_11 wrote:A couple come to mind...
The 2018 Quinta de Soalheiro Vinho Verde Soalheiro Primeiras, thanks to Ian's tips. Not that I hadn't had Vinho Verde of course but I guess that had fallen off my radar and I was stuck in a mind set they were cheap nothing wines to drink anonymously by the glass when in Portugal.

Or maybe the 2016 4 Kilos Vi de La Tierra Mallorca, 100% Callet, that reminded me a bit of the wines of Etna.

And then there was the White 2011 Orlando Abrigo Langhe Chardonnay, which was the current (aged release), remarkable for what it was.
methinks I need to try that Mallorcan wine! Best get an order in before Brexit slams the door shut :(

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Three for me:

Foradori. Love the Various Teroldegos, and also the Nosiola.

The Coriole "New Australians' range. Perfect fro just guzzling without having to think too hard. Sangiovese has been around for ages, but now Nero D'Avola, Montepulciano, Negroamaro, Barbera as well.

Australian Grenache. Geez Louise, S C Pannell, Yangarra, Ochota Barrells. So Good.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

2001 left bank Bordeaux.... I bought some, forgot about them and only heard plaudits for 2000 and 2005 since. Recent bottles, particularly Latour, were eye opening. The 2 Pichons were really good too as was Lafitte and Pontet. I was going to send the majority to auction, but not now... much better than I expected.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

2011 Barolo for me. Had a few in 2019 and all were drinking pretty well with the exception of the Vietti Castiglione that needed a lot longer sleep.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Rossco wrote:2011 Barolo for me. Had a few in 2019 and all were drinking pretty well with the exception of the Vietti Castiglione that needed a lot longer sleep.
This will be good for backfilling. Lesser vintages really seem to stagnate pricing wise on the market.

Teobaldo Cappellano

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

Benjamin Passot a youngster making Juliénas ‘17 & ‘18 (his first vintages) from his own (inherited) vineyards. He has some Morgon coming on stream next year.
And a first Aligoté ‘18 ‘1953’ from Patrick Piuze of Chablis.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

JamieBahrain wrote:
Rossco wrote:2011 Barolo for me. Had a few in 2019 and all were drinking pretty well with the exception of the Vietti Castiglione that needed a lot longer sleep.
This will be good for backfilling. Lesser vintages really seem to stagnate pricing wise on the market.
I have found this as well. They are easier to find and buy as people seemingly tend to ignore them....good for me, especially when 2016s are
starting to come out now/soon and people focus on those.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Wizz wrote:
Foradori. Love the Various Teroldegos, and also the Nosiola.
If ever the opportunity arises, then I'd definitely recommend a visit. The winery courtyard is a green haven for swooping birds and they have a much loved compost pile... but the winery tour is very interesting, for their methods in the winery, but also their views on the local wine scene / encroachment of industry/business. There is a charge, but it is fair. My only small gripe was just having 3 wines on tasting, as the range is so diverse that I'd have happily tasted everything.

However that is only part of the reason to recommend it. The wider area offers much that is rewarding.
- Trento is something of an undiscovered gem. Wide pedestrianised streets and piazze in the centre, making for easy going strolling and lots of options for aperitivi. Some wonderful food shops and some very good restaurants (without the prices being excessive).
- The mountains (and lakes). The scenery here can be breathtaking. We've stayed twice in Molveno, where the scenery typically consists of Lake, a tiny city of the town and moutains (tree covered in the manner of NZ). None of that pesky 'filler' scenery :) Walking is very good indeed, but with ski lifts available to help. A shame (IMO) the old Molveno waist high metal cages got replaced with glass enclosed gondolas. The fresh air and feeling suspended in nature was a better experience IMO (though better if raining/snowing/cold wind blowing).
- Other wines. Not all is great, but there is a great wine that isn't made by Foradori - the (Nosiola) Vino Santo wines around Vezzano / Lago Toblino (itself very picturesque). Unlike their near namesakes from Tuscany, they aren't made in an oxidised style, but do get long ageing prior to release. The result is intense / refreshing / vibrant. Prices remain stupidly low considering the nature of the wine / costs involved. Barely seen outside the region, let alone abroad (I think I've seen 1 or 2 listed in the UK). Let's just keep this little secret to ourselves eh? Grappa is the other big drink here, and a local speciality is grappa blended with local wild herbs (and a little sugar), which can even appeal to those who normally hate grappa.
- Food. Can be a little heavy / stodgy, as is the way in mountainous regions, but the quality of the meat is excellent, as are the local 'Malga' cheeses, made traditionally by migrating with the cows up into the mountains during warmer months & making the cheese there. Fruit also very good if you can time your visit, plus fine honey. Mushrooms aplenty in Autumn.

maybs

Post by maybs »

Garganega (and Garganega dominant blends). Had a few I wasn’t fussed on but had a few real beauts, including the Quintarelli Bianca Secco 2017. Not sure it’s good value, but was very nice.

Also Etna Bianco, such as the Tenuta Delle Terre Nerre Calderara Sottana 2017 .

Italian whites have always been a mystery and an u happy lottery for me but was put onto the former by a friend and the latter (and a few similar wines) by the guys at One Ford Street, my local very good Italian eatery. They’ve recommended 4 or 5 Italian whites for me now without a single fail.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Hi Maybs
I can remember a time when the vast majority of Italian whites were bland and neutral (and seemingly prized for this neutrality). These days there are some stunners, from the likes of Verdicchio, Timorasso, Fiano, Falanghina, Carricante etc. etc.
Definitely a source of joy

Definitely other Garganega to hunt down in the form of Soave. Pieropan the big name and leading standard-bearer through those dark times, but my personal favourite is Gini's Contrade Salvarenza Soave, from old vines that IIRC are not grafted onto different rootstock. Anselmi also worth a try, in a slightly different style that has taken them out of the Soave DOC.

Regards
Ian

Rory

Post by Rory »

Interesting the amount of Italian varietals on these posts.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Rory wrote:Interesting the amount of Italian varietals on these posts.
Indeed! With 3500 different indigenous Italian grape varieties one could say it's the final frontier for wine exploration.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Speaking of discoveries and of Italian varietals, has anyone had the Heartland 'Sposa e Sposa' which is a blend of Lagrein and Dolcetto? Neither have I had a Heartland wine nor a blend of these two varietals.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Ozzie W wrote:
Rory wrote:Interesting the amount of Italian varietals on these posts.
Indeed! With 3500 different indigenous Italian grape varieties one could say it's the final frontier for wine exploration.
Whatever you do, DON'T buy Ian d'Agata's brilliant book 'Native Wine Grapes of Italy'. It is a book that makes you thirsty to try out some of wines made from the lesser seen varieties. It may start an addiction, so consider yourselves warned! :D :wink:

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Sort of related to the subject, 2019 SA Rieslings...had half a dozen different ones over Christmas...all excellent.
Groan, just when I was going to taper off...very little room in the cellar now.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Angelo Gaja is frequently quoted as saying Italy has a big future in white wine. Perhaps not unmarketable indigenous varieties- I only know of his magnificent whites being of fashionable chardonnay or sauvignon blanc and a lesser a blend of international and local.

Teobaldo Cappellano

Redav

Post by Redav »

I think for us it's Oliver's Taranga Small Batch Grenache. I'd love to get some more of the Corina Cab Sauv but the Grenache has been a clear winner. I left a pair of 16's in Wine Ark just after Boxing Day to see how they go after five and ten years

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Leave pass to Fino Vino on Flinders street Ade and tried Ruggabellus Fluus.
41% Cinsault 35% Mataro 13% Grenache 11% Syrah.
Not sure what vintage 17 /18?
DO i detect some Bretty notes here? very very slight if so.
Either way really enjoyed it. :D
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

paulf

Post by paulf »

I was really impressed with Stanton & Killeen's 2018 Alvarinho from Rutherglen which was the first release of this wine. There is also an Arinto which is interesting too.
Another that impressed me was the 2017 Sentio Rouge from Beechworth

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

For me it was the winery of Bakkheia, in Geographe. Really good stuff for very reasonable prices. No green and its WA! Amazing...
Graeme

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Yarra yering Dry Red No.2 (can't remember the vintage)

Languedoc wines are underrated...I think I really like Cabernet Franc

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

phillisc wrote:Sort of related to the subject, 2019 SA Rieslings...had half a dozen different ones over Christmas...all excellent.
Cheers Craig
Any particular standouts Craig?

Aldready have half a dozen or so but usually like to have 12-18 of each vintage set aside....

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Michael McNally wrote:
phillisc wrote:Sort of related to the subject, 2019 SA Rieslings...had half a dozen different ones over Christmas...all excellent.
Cheers Craig

Aldready have half a dozen or so but usually like to have 12-18 of each vintage set aside....

Cheers

Michael
Not Craig

But

Torzi Matthews Eden Valley 2019

and

Rieslingfreak Eden Valley # (whatever number it is?) 3 I think (The Clare is very good also)

both excellent, and both built for the cellar, I am cellaring both.

regards

Gavin Trott

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Michael McNally wrote:
Cheers Craig

Cheers

Michael
Hi Michael,
thought Clos Clare, Pauletts, both Vickery's, Henschke Peggy's, Heggies and sorry 2 or 3 others that i can't remember. Clos Clare and Vickery were the standouts for me.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day