Apera Advice

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Mahmoud Ali

Apera Advice

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I had forgotten that Australian producers can no longer use the term "sherry" and now uses Apera. As a result I have not paid any attention to bottles that say Apera/Aperol. At home in Canada I save what I call my premium older bottles of Australian sherry for tasting dinners where I try to match it with apprpriate food. However, at other times, I enjoy dry sherry before dinner, often when cooking dinner. They are usually inexpensive daily drinkers where palate freshness and gentle character is the rule.

Can anyone advise me about dry Australian aperas that fit into the fino/amontillado or dry oloroso mould?

Cheers ............. Mahmoud.

Dang

Re: Apera Advice

Post by Dang »

When I was living in Aussie land (sadly yrs ago), my favorite drink was (not counting the usual Toohey or Southward beers) the extra dry sherry/apera. Compare that with the medium dry that we receive here in Canada ( with a sweetness number of 1) then you would understand why the extra dry apera is not available here.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Apera and Aperol very very different.

Apera, the new Aussie word for Sherry ... taken from Aperitif, I believe (?)

Aperol, delicious base for Spritz, similar to Campari, Herbal etc

Very different drinks, although both delicious in their ways! Love Aperol, and love love love Fino Sherry/Apera.

regards

Gavin Trott

paulf

Post by paulf »

I'm not sure that all the producers are all that keen on "Apera" as a name but there are a few producers still doing it (although not as many as years gone by I'd say).
I'll confess to not being an expert on the subject, but Seppeltsfield in the Barossa is usually the first option.
Some of the Rutherglen winemakers make them as well. Morris, Jones and Chambers all make versions although it has been a long time since I have tried any of those, if at all.
I quite liked the Pfeiffer "Seriously Fine" and "Serriously Nutty" when I tried them back in July. I note that on their website that the Seriously Pink is listed as an Apera although I always thought of it as a pink port style.
Google tells me that Sevenhill in Clare have a range and I think Pennyweight in Beechworth do an Apera or two as well.
There are the dodgy ones like the McWilliams.
I'm sure there are others out there. Interestingly There don't seem to be as many Oloroso styles as there are fino or Amontillado. There are a few Pedro Ximenez around. Turkey Flat always had a good one and the Dandelion 30 year old was very well priced for what it was

Redav

Post by Redav »

paulf wrote:There are the dodgy ones like the McWilliams.
My parents seem to love that stuff! I'd love to get them a decent bottle at some point but I might ruin it for them :D

Mahmoud, I'm glad you've asked as there's now some suggestions for me to keep an eye out for

Barney

Post by Barney »

Rutherglen region has been mentioned above, sampled and bought some of the Morris Dry and aged Flor Apera a few years ago and really enjoyed.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

paulf wrote:I'm not sure that all the producers are all that keen on "Apera" as a name but there are a few producers still doing it (although not as many as years gone by I'd say).
I'll confess to not being an expert on the subject, but Seppeltsfield in the Barossa is usually the first option.
Some of the Rutherglen winemakers make them as well. Morris, Jones and Chambers all make versions although it has been a long time since I have tried any of those, if at all.
I quite liked the Pfeiffer "Seriously Fine" and "Serriously Nutty" when I tried them back in July. I note that on their website that the Seriously Pink is listed as an Apera although I always thought of it as a pink port style.
Google tells me that Sevenhill in Clare have a range and I think Pennyweight in Beechworth do an Apera or two as well.
There are the dodgy ones like the McWilliams.
I'm sure there are others out there. Interestingly There don't seem to be as many Oloroso styles as there are fino or Amontillado. There are a few Pedro Ximenez around. Turkey Flat always had a good one and the Dandelion 30 year old was very well priced for what it was
It might be a memory lapse but I cannot recall tasting sherry in Rutherglen. Is it something new for the area? I have noted that Chambers make a "dry flor apera", or a "flor dry apera", and I will be picking up a bottle to try from a local vendor in Castle Hill. I will also keep an eye out for Morris and Pfeiffer. I also don't remember any at Sevenhill. However, I clearly remember McWilliams's excellent, limited release, museum and show release sherries at their cellar door in Griffith. I do not know what has happened to them but it is to my eternal regret that I did not buy them at cellar door as I never saw them again when I returned to Sydney.

The Dandelion 30 year-old PX is rich and delicious. I was fortunate to find it at home in Canada, four bottles going begging for less than what it costs for the Spanish PX we get there.

Mahmoud.

Tucker Wine Studios

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

Mahmoud,

Sevenhill has three Aperas, a fine dry, a fine sweet and a rich sweet, all made from PX, the rich sweet from PX & Grenache.
Have tried them in the past, hazy memory, ok-ish but not super impressive. Have to try them again when I visit next time.
I think their Liqueur Verdelho is a real star, tastes like really nice Madeira.

Cheers,
Mario

paulf

Post by paulf »

Mahmoud Ali wrote: It might be a memory lapse but I cannot recall tasting sherry in Rutherglen. Is it something new for the area?

The Dandelion 30 year-old PX is rich and delicious. I was fortunate to find it at home in Canada, four bottles going begging for less than what it costs for the Spanish PX we get there.

Mahmoud.
Nah, Definitely not new. You were probably just focused on other things :D I suspect there are a few less around these days. As recently as the the late 60s and early 70s Australia's production and consumption was largely fortified. You used to be able to find places making the full gambit of fortified styles, but less so now.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Tucker Wine Studios wrote:Sevenhill has three Aperas, a fine dry, a fine sweet and a rich sweet, all made from PX, the rich sweet from PX & Grenache. Have tried them in the past, hazy memory, ok-ish but not super impressive. Have to try them again when I visit next time.
Interesting that all three styles of apera are made with PX.
Tucker Wine Studios wrote:I think their Liqueur Verdelho is a real star, tastes like really nice Madeira.
I remember their Liqueur Verdelho very well, and though I don't recall it reminding me of Madeira, it was indeed rich and very moreish. The star of the lineup, for me, back in 2001, was their 1987 vintage port. I was inpressed enough to return to the winery on the way out of the Clare Valley. I was debating with myself on whether to buy one or two bottles when I walked in the cellar door only to find the 1988 on tap. When I expressed my disappointment I was told there were some 1987s in the clearance bin on the floor. They were $10 each and I walked out with six bottles and a smile on my face.

Mahmoud.

Tucker Wine Studios

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

Hi Mahmoud, nice story. Planning to visit Sevenhill in a couple of weeks and looking forward to taste their fortifieds range. Yes, their VP style wine can be great, too.
Cheers, Mario

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I picked up a few of the aperas mentioned above, namely the Chambers and a couple of the McWilliams Royal Resrve. The Chambers Flor Dry was head and shoulders better than the Royal Reserve Dry. The Chambers had much more going for it, with a delicate nutty nose and a broader, intense palate. The Royal Reserve Dry by comparison was muted in comparison. In contrast, the Royal Reserve Medium Dry was better than the Dry, a hint of sweetness conferring a better balance to the experience.

Mahmoud.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Very impressed with the Seppltsfield DP117. On opening it has a very pungent nose - almost Brett - but it calmed down after a day. Very complex and improving every night. $21 and fine value.

I have had the Pennyweight twice in the last year and it's brilliant. Totally different, with saline qualities and lots of fruit. Not yet found a bottle in Melbourne, but it is worth hunting out
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Tucker Wine Studios wrote:Hi Mahmoud, nice story. Planning to visit Sevenhill in a couple of weeks and looking forward to taste their fortifieds range. Yes, their VP style wine can be great, too.
Mario, let me know if they now make vintage port. Way back in 2001 they told me that the 1988 vintage would be their last.

Mahmoud.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

mychurch wrote:Very impressed with the Seppltsfield DP117. On opening it has a very pungent nose - almost Brett - but it calmed down after a day. Very complex and improving every night. $21 and fine value.
Seppeltsfield sherries are indeed very good and a cellar door visit a long time ago was very rewarding (including a barrel-aged, woodsy, and savoury sparkling shiraz!) but I'm afraid it is no longer available in my home town.

Mahmoud.