All I am saying is name ONE memorable one 2017

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
michel

All I am saying is name ONE memorable one 2017

Post by michel »

2013 Giuseppe Rinaldi Tre Tine
After some burgundy
We had some big gun burgs & were travelling and carrying our own wines
We had Rousseau & Vogue - fresh Red Emperor & salads
I opened this as a random taster and the World stopped moving while we slowly imbibed -we were flabbergasted by its spiritual transparency and ethereal perfume...
Last edited by michel on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
International Chambertin Day 16th May

Dragzworthy

Re: All I am saying is name ONE memorable one 2017

Post by Dragzworthy »

Chateau Rieussec Sauternes 1er Grand Cru Classe 2002
My first proper Sauternes and it blew my head off. Great balance of sweetness, fruit and acidity. Real door opener to dessert wine which I had largely ignored until then.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

A number of candidates, but special respect to a Quinta da Soalheiro vinho verde with almost a decade's age on it. Showing how a relatively modestly priced wine can still be complex and entrancing, and I've ventured further into their range since.

maybs

Post by maybs »

2011 Coche Dury Meursault Perrieres. Jeeeee-sus.
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

deejay81

Post by deejay81 »

2006 Pierre Péters Les Chetillons for me... Glad I've got 1 more bottle left!
instagram.com/wine_pug

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Taking QPR into account I would say 2004 Woodlands Margaret. Luscious velvetty and mouth filling.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

1994 Wendouree Cab Sav (Adelaide offline, thanks Craig :wink: )
Close but no cigar...2008 Mount Mary Quintet.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

For me, it's a tie between the '94 Wendouree Cab Sauvignon (another thanks to Craig!), and 2017 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling - which I'm looking forward to cracking open on Christmas day.

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

Great question. Hard one thinking back as lots of good wines this year.
Not necessarily the best but the one that stands out / most memorable for me was a bottle of the 2013 Marius Wines Shiraz Simpatico. Really enjoyed it, intensity of fruit, great mouth feel and balance and will get better with more time. Very sad when we finished the bottle. Brilliant QPR IMHO.

Other mention-worthy bottles for me included a 2010 Rockford Shiraz Basket Press and a 2012 Stoney Rise Pinot Noir Holyman (sorry I know you said ONE!)

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

Olek Bondonio Barbaresco 'Starderi' 2014
Gifted by the man himself after a tour of the Starderi vineyard and his new (almost complete) winery. Allowed to breathe in bottle for a couple of hours before we poured on the patio at Casa Boffa. The wine in and of itself would have left me totally floored, however since Carlo (owner/winemaker at Boffa) was there we of course offered him a glass, he was quite exited to try it and sat down for a good long chat about the wine and the unfairly maligned 2014 vintage in Barbaresco.

Experience 99/100, wine not far behind, it was complex and layered, yet also surprisingly approachable. None of the over the top rotting leaves or thin body that one saw from most 2014s from the Barolo region.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

winetastic wrote:Olek Bondonio Barbaresco 'Starderi' 2014
Gifted by the man himself after a tour of the Starderi vineyard and his new (almost complete) winery. Allowed to breathe in bottle for a couple of hours before we poured on the patio at Casa Boffa. The wine in and of itself would have left me totally floored, however since Carlo (owner/winemaker at Boffa) was there we of course offered him a glass, he was quite exited to try it and sat down for a good long chat about the wine and the unfairly maligned 2014 vintage in Barbaresco.

Experience 99/100, wine not far behind, it was complex and layered, yet also surprisingly approachable. None of the over the top rotting leaves or thin body that one saw from most 2014s from the Barolo region.
Wow ! Good yarn. I've know Olek for years and on a recent visit my VIP treatment was a pointed hand toward Starderi from La Berchialla and he said that's where his new vineyards were. :D

Yep, and Starderi 2014 is a joy. Olek says it will go for as long as Roncagliette though approachable now. Amazes me how far under the radar they are with critics. I've banged on about it before, but do they really know nebbiolo? The Amercians seem to review Barbaresco a year too early and have poor understanding of the wines.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

Not the best wine, but 2013 Hoddles Creek Estate Pinot, just so good for what I paid for it. The structure of it is what impressed me the most.

michel

Post by michel »

I appreciate the story with every wine
It is the experience or company that makes the difference :idea:

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Perfect Barolo : 1939 Cappellano Barolo capturing the vine and the land with the pathos of the vintage.

Had it twice this year. Amazing! Should not be so good. I was heavily scolded for posting the notes on beserkers as old Cappellanos disappeared from the market or became ridiculously priced.

[url=http://s236.photobucket.com/user/coronatowe ... 1.jpg.html][img]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/co ... 7347_1.jpg[/img][/url]
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

via collins

Post by via collins »

Until last week, it would have been cycling into Barbaresco after a huge day of riding on a perfect autumn day, and tasting the 2013 Proddutori del Barbaresco at the cellar door. An absolute epiphany of multi-sensory joy.

Except last Monday on Roger Pike's back deck topped that experience - first, tasting the 2016 Symposium and Symphony which were opened for the first time since bottling. But then, as it was a while until the cricket was due to restart, and we'd commence early, Roger decided to open his first ever wine. And then things got very religious indeed. Madre dio! The range of the 2002 Marius is extraordinary.

Sorry it wasn't one only. But both these occasions will live forever in my mind.

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

Coincidentally, I spent a couple of hours on Roger Pike’s verandah, the day before. We chatted about this, that 8 the other. He has an absolute passion for wine & a fine winemaker. Regretfully, impossible to obtain in UK.
Ended missing most of first session at Test - all worthwhile.

Attended a dinner of like-minded winos this summer. Someone fetched along M. Chapoutier Hermitage Vin de Paille 1999. Simply marvellous. With a fortnight to go, looks likely to be my WotY.

Dang

Post by Dang »

The '94 Rousseau Gevrey-Chambertin was most interesting, but the most memorable one was the '98 Grange!
Cheers.

via collins

Post by via collins »

aha!

Coincidentally, I spent a couple of hours on Roger Pike’s verandah, the day before.

We were initially going same day as you were, but fate, and a very late night out, got in the way. Would have been so excellent to meet up - and discuss both wine and cricket!

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

I have been lucky to have had a huge number of memorable wines in 2017, however:

1982 Lafleur

(consumed during an incredible lunch in Val d'isere in February, in a restaurant half way back to the village... the ski back was an interesting experience!!!!!!)

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Interestingly, looking through my CT notes I haven't scored anything higher than 94 this year (although to be fair, I am generally a tough marker). Haven't been to any serious wine dinners or the like so haven't had any real "big guns".

So for that reason I will give it to the 2006 St Hallett GST Grenache/Shiraz/Touriga. Memorable for being a cheap QPR arguably you would have thought kept too long but in the end result absolutely delicious.
------------------------------------
Sam

BHCC1

Post by BHCC1 »

1966 Latour - cellared for the past 40 years and opened to celebrate a special anniversary. A vibrant and beautifully structured 50 year old with some years ahead of it.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Thanks to both ScottyV and TQ...yes the Wendouree cab was good, think there are 3-4 left, and yes we definitely have to do another offline...its the best one I have been to so far. I did enjoy the wine and the '97 Pressings

That said its been a funny old year, I have really enjoyed so many sub $25 wines, cabs, Shiraz, Rieslings...I hope to get to the cellar next week to fish a couple of things out...I know its a first world problem, but I open the door, and just close it again.

TBA
Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

mjs

Post by mjs »

Probably have to say a bottle of ‘82 Wynns JR at Matteo’s almost twelve mths ago (along with a number of other exceptional wines, have to say). This was a bottle bought at release and cellared at home. It was in absolutely perfect nick, just a pleasure. Honourable mention to a number of exceptional 1er and GC burgundies (I can’t believe I’m saying that tbh).
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Difficult to pull it down to one. Perhaps the 1985 Grange consumed with a mate recently, in memory of another mate (sadly no longer with us).
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

JamieBahrain wrote: Amazes me how far under the radar they are with critics. I've banged on about it before, but do they really know nebbiolo? The Amercians seem to review Barbaresco a year too early and have poor understanding of the wines.
I sense a reliance on reviewing the same pool of wineries 'the established names and a few noisy newcomers', but there are great wines (at even better prices) to be had that rarely (if ever) get a review from the critics. It's a good reason to go there, and also to take a chance on an unknown winery to visit, or to get to a tasting event like Barbaresco a Tavola or Festa del Barbaresco etc.

Sigmamupi

Post by Sigmamupi »

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f ... ts#p145936

I was fortunate enough to participate in this dinner and it could have been any one of three - 2011 Coche-Dury Meursault Perrieres, 2009 Coche-Dury Corton Charlemagne, 1996 Sylvain Cathiard Romanee St Vivant - but forced to settle on one, it would be the RSV. A superb wine.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

The 4 Offline Wine Dinners I attended this year with my fellow Vic Forumites. Stunning wines, wonderful food and
sensational company.

Thank you kindly guys & I hope there will be more coming up.

cleanskinlover

Post by cleanskinlover »

mmmm '08 Prieure Roch Clos d Beze........ the looks on peoples faces during the blind tasting, and then on reveal.

michel

Post by michel »

cleanskinlover wrote:mmmm '08 Prieure Roch Clos d Beze........ the looks on peoples faces during the blind tasting, and then on reveal.
Wow o wow
For me Prieure Roche
The serial underperformer
Really glad you jagged a great one!

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

cleanskinlover wrote:mmmm '08 Prieure Roch Clos d Beze........ the looks on peoples faces during the blind tasting, and then on reveal.
Amen to Michel's comments. Without any doubt whatsoever, the Emperor with no clothes. I'm also very glad you got a good one, I have been unable to equal your success in about 40 tries!!!!