Any love for Merlot

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
tonym

Any love for Merlot

Post by tonym »

Any recommendations for the best Aussie Merlot? most I have tried have not been super expensive wines and while they are good drinking they don't sort of seem like top class wines that the French make, I was wondering if there is anything better made here?

catchnrelease

Re: Any love for Merlot

Post by catchnrelease »

I'm a big fan of the Blue Poles Reserve Merlot and Allouran (Merlot/Cab Franc blend) out of WA. Brash Higgins also make a nice Merlot with a touch of Nero d'Avola in it.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Irvine Grand Merlot also very good.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

"Any love for Merlot?" Not really. I have tried all of the above mentioned wines more than once - had a 2012 Irvine Grand Merlot only a couple of weeks ago. Good mid-palate but they all lack the supporting structure that a good dollop of cabernet would add to the blend.

I remain totally unconvinced of the worthiness of straight merlots.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Alan and Veitch from the adelaide hills is one of the better ones, but just not this current vintage 2012 and 2013 are much better.

Giant Steps Sexton Vineyard

Katnook Estate
Last edited by Rossco on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Leconfield do an aussie style. Fuller in body. More extractive.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Waiters Friend wrote:"Any love for Merlot?" Not really. I have tried all of the above mentioned wines more than once - had a 2012 Irvine Grand Merlot only a couple of weeks ago. Good mid-palate but they all lack the supporting structure that a good dollop of cabernet would add to the blend.

I've read that Australia's merlots are made with inferior clones and hence the difficulty in making notable wines. Also, I would be interested if anybody is making a merlot-cabernet franc blend?

Mahmoud.

cleanskinlover

Post by cleanskinlover »

2012 Irvine Grand Merlot yes, but drinks/tastes like a Cabernet.

catchnrelease

Post by catchnrelease »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
Waiters Friend wrote:"Any love for Merlot?" Not really. I have tried all of the above mentioned wines more than once - had a 2012 Irvine Grand Merlot only a couple of weeks ago. Good mid-palate but they all lack the supporting structure that a good dollop of cabernet would add to the blend.

I've read that Australia's merlots are made with inferior clones and hence the difficulty in making notable wines. Also, I would be interested if anybody is making a merlot-cabernet franc blend?

Mahmoud.
Blue Poles Allouran is a merlot/cab franc blend. I've enjoyed every one I've tried and rate them very highly in terms of their structure, tannin profile and length. They're also quite age worthy, I had an '08 recently and it took hours to open up, it'd be a 10-15yr wine easy. Their Reserve Merlot has a splash of cab franc in it sometimes as well.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

only ever had one good Aussie merlot... the 1994 Petaluma, an effort they failed to repeat since. Beautiful wine, was still going strong 5 years ago when I last saw it.
If you want good, cheap Merlot, look out for Lalande de Pomerol 2015, might be as good as 2009.
2009 Lalande de Pomerol produced literally scores of wonderful wines at ridiculously cheap prices.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

I assume you are referring to Australia? I could name a few decent merlots from Pomerol :wink:

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

felixp21 wrote:

I assume you are referring to Australia? I could name a few decent merlots from Pomerol :wink:
I hear good things about Petrus. :o

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Dragzworthy wrote:
felixp21 wrote:

I hear good things about Petrus. :o
Ah, Petrus! That scintillating, yet elusive conundrum of a wine. When I was in St Emilion, I could buy a 1945 for $45,000E. No, I haven't tried it either.

I wasn't only referring to Australia. I remain unconvinced of the worthiness of straight Merlots from anywhere in the world (a sweeping, statement, I know, but the only one I can draw from my experience to date). A fabulous wine for blending, but all of the straight Merlots I have tried are as described above - great mid-palate but lacking on the outside of the tongue leaving a feeling of "they almost got it".

Sorry - I bet this will let the cat among the proverbial pigeons.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Waiters Friend wrote:I wasn't only referring to Australia. I remain unconvinced of the worthiness of straight Merlots from anywhere in the world (a sweeping, statement, I know, but the only one I can draw from my experience to date). A fabulous wine for blending, but all of the straight Merlots I have tried are as described above - great mid-palate but lacking on the outside of the tongue leaving a feeling of "they almost got it".
Your post has me thinking, and I am surprised to find that I cannot think of a memorable merlot, from anywhere in the world. Now it may be partly my fault for not buying them but I cannot recall anybody serving me a straight merlot either. Off the top of my heard I believe I have only a single bottle of merlot, a 2005 Rombauer from California, mainly because it was sitting on a shelf marked down from C$45 to C$20 and I thought what's there to lose?

Mahmoud.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:

Mahmoud.
I also recall seeing that comment - would love to know where it is sourced. Iv'e also wondered why NZ seems to make a better fist of Merlot than Aus.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

I've never had a 100% Merlot that made me go wow. Same for 100% Malbec and Petit Verdot - there's always something missing on the palate. Never had Petrus or Masseto so there's always hope :)

After the the bad rap Merlot received in the 2004 movie Sideways and the negative effect it has on sales, I reckon many wineries focused their efforts on other varieties. Could part of the generally underwhelming nature of 100% Merlot be due to a lack of trying?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

No

However, Petaluma Cabernet Merlot is a lovely wine.

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any #$@!ing Merlot!
...had to be done...

An adult response: "I drink a lot of merlot because it is in the great QPR MR Cab Merlot blends. I've yet to taste a straight Merlot I'd buy. I did like an Irvine Grand Merlot brought by someone else but it was too expensive for me to buy ($100+) - if it was half the price I'd definitely have some in my collection."

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Merlot one of the great grapes of the world. Pomerol in particular, and St Em.
In terms of Australia - Blue Poles Reserve, Hillcrest Premium, Giant Steps have a good go, and Tarrawarra can be good. The old Coldstream Hills Reserve used to good too. There's a few more as well.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

bdellabosca wrote:No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any #$@!ing Merlot!
...had to be done...

An adult response: "I drink a lot of merlot because it is in the great QPR MR Cab Merlot blends. I've yet to taste a straight Merlot I'd buy. I did like an Irvine Grand Merlot brought by someone else but it was too expensive for me to buy ($100+) - if it was half the price I'd definitely have some in my collection."
What if someone plonks an 82 Petrus or a Chateau Le Pin on the table? I hazard guess you'd be sitting back down.... :wink:
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

Absolutely - of course I would!

Sorry for the confusion but my initial comment (that you have marked in bold) is a direct quote from the main character from the movie Sideways. I should have put it in quotation marks / attributed the line, rather than assume all the readers here would know the lines from the movie.

My second point was my actual serious response, I haven't bought any straight merlot due to QPR / my budget constraints. Full details, I don't pay over $80 a bottle (minor exceptions where there is sentimental connection / significance to the wines) and I haven't yet tasted a bottle of straight Merlot for under $80 that I then wanted to buy = No love for Merlot.

bdellabosca

Post by bdellabosca »

That said, Blue Poles has been on my radar for a while now given all the positive feedback but I have not got around to tracking it down to buy a bottle to it.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

bdellabosca wrote:That said, Blue Poles has been on my radar for a while now given all the positive feedback but I have not got around to tracking it down to buy a bottle to it.
Not far for a Perth resident to drive for a visit :)

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

felixp21 wrote:only ever had one good Aussie merlot... the 1994 Petaluma, an effort they failed to repeat since. Beautiful wine, was still going strong 5 years ago when I last saw it.
If you want good, cheap Merlot, look out for Lalande de Pomerol 2015, might be as good as 2009.
2009 Lalande de Pomerol produced literally scores of wonderful wines at ridiculously cheap prices.
Totally off topic - felix, are you and nick21 joined at the hip? Is it like Dame Edna and Barry Humphries are never seen in the same room together?
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pej

Post by Pej »

I found the Domaine A Merlot memorable. I wouldn't call it cheap but it was probably the first Aussie Merlot that made me reconsider the variety. Had the Giant Steps more recently and thought it was pretty solid too. I haven't had the Blue Poles straight Merlot but the Allouran Merlot/Cab Franc is a cracker.

Tucker Wine Studios

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

Not a lot of love for Aussie Merlot but some yes. I liked Majella's Merlot (although some vintages quite Cabernet-like) and also remember a very enjoyable Gibson Reserve Merlot from the Barossa. Occasionally I also enjoy a rich, plummy, fruit bomb-like Merlot, especially in the cold winter times (come on, why not), Springs Hill Blewitt Springs Merlot and Jeanneret Dilly Dally Merlot come to my mind.

Overseas, I really liked Veenwouden's Merlot (South Africa - Paarl region) and enjoyed a Duckhorn Vineyards Merlot (Napa Valley).

More love for some Italian Merlot. Actually liked Planeta's Merlot (at least some late 90's vintages, haven't tried any newer ones) and I remember a very good Falesco Montiano Merlot.

Heard good things about Tua Rita's Redigaffi Merlot.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

The best Aussie Merlots are from NZ

I think 25% of my cellar comprises of merlot dominant blends

mjs

Post by mjs »

Yes, don’t mind Katnook, Leconfield, Majella and Parker merlots, but I would, wouldn’t I. Have had enjoyable and crap Irvine’s.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Merlot was definitely in vogue in the early years of the new millennium in New Zealand. Though you won't hear the winery shouting it from the rooftops labelling it "Cabernets Merlot" with franc and sauvignon aggregated up, Te Mata Coleraine was a merlot dominant blend in 02,04 and 06 before returning to it's left bank roots subsequently. Redmetal and Selini were new to the scene and pushed the variety very hard with Basket Press and EV. There was also Goldwater on waiheke playing with the highly priced Esslin. Today though, aside from the Villa Maria Reserve it is hard to think of any 100% Merlot's that really play in the top echelon.

Merlot blends though are a different story. 2013 Puriri Hills Pope is 70% Merlot and is absolutely exquisite. I think it really would stand tall in any company - one of the best wines ever made in NZ in my books (but I am biased). Auckland has had a few small cult vineyards come and go Antipodean, Providence (still around), Messenger et al. Providence produces one of NZ's most expensive wines in extremely limited quantities for duty free a single barrel merlot at over $600 bottle. No idea how good it is, ask a rich asian tourist perhaps?

Craggy Range Sophia of course is a merlot dominant blend and really it is impossible after that to cage all the wineries that play here.