Xmas is Coming Up Fast. What Are Doing, Eating, Drinking This Festive Season

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Chuck

Xmas is Coming Up Fast. What Are Doing, Eating, Drinking This Festive Season

Post by Chuck »

Starting the Annual Thread.

Family going from Adelaide to Sydney for various family shindigs before kids go back to Adelaide for work. We are staying on for a few more weeks to help paint mother-in-law's house. Xmas eve with wifey's family before Xmas day at my sister's and her tribe. Plenty of seafood, fowl, pig, salads etc and some nice quaffers and special bottles loaded into the new car for the great drive across the Hay Plains, my favourite road. There's a farm between Balranald and Hay (134km stretch of billiard table flat straight road) with huge gates with the name spelt out in 50cm letters - Hells Gate. Always stop to admire this. Yes, I am a bit strange.

Anyhoo, what are you doings this festive season?

Carl
Last edited by Chuck on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Dragzworthy

Re: Xmas in Coming Up Fast. What Are Doing, Eating, Drinking This Festive Season

Post by Dragzworthy »

Italian restaurant in Singapore booked. They do a buffet of cold cuts, cheese and oysters etc. Main course is aka carte. 98$ per person with free flow non alcohol, $128 for everything and prosecco...$198 for everything aforementioned but Dom perignon free flow.

Thinking of the last option. Think I could easily drink my way to solid value.. :D

Croquet King

Re: Xmas in Coming Up Fast. What Are Doing, Eating, Drinking This Festive Season

Post by Croquet King »

Dragzworthy wrote:Italian restaurant in Singapore booked. They do a buffet of cold cuts, cheese and oysters etc. Main course is aka carte. 98$ per person with free flow non alcohol, $128 for everything and prosecco...$198 for everything aforementioned but Dom perignon free flow.

Thinking of the last option. Think I could easily drink my way to solid value.. :D
When I lived in Singapore we went to the Fullerton for Xmas lunch. Buffet with free flow Veuve.

I drank 2 bottles and washed it down with 3 lobsters and a dozen oysters. Didn't bother with any of the cheap stuff.
Best xmas lunch ever.

Go the Dom, go the Dom.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Croquet King wrote:
Dragzworthy wrote:Italian restaurant in Singapore booked. They do a buffet of cold cuts, cheese and oysters etc. Main course is aka carte. 98$ per person with free flow non alcohol, $128 for everything and prosecco...$198 for everything aforementioned but Dom perignon free flow.

When I lived in Singapore we went to the Fullerton for Xmas lunch. Buffet with free flow Veuve.

I drank 2 bottles and washed it down with 3 lobsters and a dozen oysters. Didn't bother with any of the cheap stuff.
Best xmas lunch ever.

Go the Dom, go the Dom.
Haha yes the only real thing holding me back on the Dom is the missus!

Somehow on ten years in Singapore I've still managed to not yet attend a Fullerton buffet!

shauno

Post by shauno »

Nothing specific planned yet, but stocked up on the weekend with 8 mixed bottles of bubbly - 4 x NV champagne, 2 x prosecco, a seppelt Salinger and a bests sparkling Shiraz.

Plus 2 mixed cases of red for presents!
I'll drink to that :)

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I plan on being in Australia for Christmas and will open something from among the several dozen wines that have been sitting in a back room in a house in Sydney. It'll be Chrismas lunch so probably a couple of whites in the form of a Mount Pleasant Elizabeth (either an '01 or '02) and an '04 Tahbilk Marsanne, and for the reds perhaps the '02 Seppelt's Sparkling Shiraz and a pinot noir. All subject to how accurate my list is and what remains there.

Mahmoud.

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

I may crack open a 1988 Calon Segur. Auction purchase so no idea how that will be.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

You are mad if you don't go for the Dom.

A single glass in a top end Sydney restaurant can set you back $90+.

If the missus kicks up a stink, blame it on those no-good types from auswine.

rooman

Re: Xmas is Coming Up Fast. What Are Doing, Eating, Drinking This Festive Season

Post by rooman »

Three weeks skiing in Vail. So living life on a tight budget before we go. One place I am looking to visit is Wallys Wine Shop in LA on the way to Denver. They appear to have a good stock of 2014 Passopisciaro Rampante R, S & P which I would like to stock up on for the trip back to Aus.

maybs

Post by maybs »

winetastic wrote:

I think there's been a few restaurants offering it around Sydney at $40 a glass recently. Not sure if that's permanent
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

Mahmoud Ali

Re: Xmas is Coming Up Fast. What Are Doing, Eating, Drinking This Festive Season

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

rooman wrote:One place I am looking to visit is Wallys Wine Shop in LA on the way to Denver. They appear to have a good stock of 2014 Passopisciaro Rampante R, S & P which I would like to stock up on for the trip back to Aus.
I've heard about Wally's, that they used have quite a number of interesting older vintages. Not sure if that is still the case.

Mahmoud.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Rockford Black Shiraz. Same as every Christmas, celebration, Birthday etc......

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

winetastic wrote:

Will you all be upset that blaming it on the Auswine crew holds little value with missus dragzworthy?