Grape Mates Premium Chardonnay Blind Tasting (Aus/NZ)

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TiggerK

Grape Mates Premium Chardonnay Blind Tasting (Aus/NZ)

Post by TiggerK »

[img]http://www.grapemates.org/files/TimMiscStuff/Chard-1.jpg[/img]

Following on from the AusWine Chardonnay (& Pinot) tasting a few weeks back (a great event), it was noted that many of the biggest names were missing. So we proposed that Grape Mates revisit the theme and round up as many of the highest regarded Chardonnays in Aus and NZ as we could and see how they perform in a blind lineup...... 10 of us tasted through 17 wines, with an extra taster joining in for the first four flights. We had a last minute dropout or two which saw the De Salis and Sandalford as late entries via a guest attendee. Sadly the De Salis showed poorly, possibly even a fault of some kind, and the Yattarna was gone. But otherwise it was a tasty lineup of very good Chardonnay.

It was a single blind format, where the participants knew what most of the wines were in the lineup (but not all and many without the vintage). All wines were served in a random order in flights of three and a final flight of two. Only two changes were made to the randomised lineup, one to avoid both Kumeu wines in the same flight, and one to ensure the 02 and 07 wines weren't next to a 16 wine. Votes were taken for favourite and 2nd favourite after each flight, then wines revealed. So by the end, people had some idea what the final few wines were but this system was deemed better than not revealing anything until the end. All wines were decanted for around 30-60 mins and I tried to serve them all at a similar temperature, erring on the side of colder than warmer. All wines were under screwcap except for the Yattarna and the PYCM. The Yattarna was flat and muted which led me to personally suspect very low level TCA but no-one really got TCA so it would be interesting to hear reports of other bottles. I know this one was well cellared, but not sure if bought on release or not (suspect it was). Delicious food as always from MissyK, really fun space for an offline.

So here are the results, thanks everyone for a great night out.

Grape Mates Premium Chardonnay Event @ MissyK - 3rd Nov 2017

Woodlands Chloe Chardonnay 2012 - 1 x 1st 10 x 2nd
De Salis Chardonnay 2014 (flawed?)- 0 x 1st 0 x 2nd
* Stoney Rise Holyman Chard 2015 - 10 x 1st 1 x 2nd

Sacred Hill Riflemans Chardonnay 2015 - 2 x 1st 5 x 2nd
*Penfolds Bin 15A Chardonnay 2015 ------ 7 x 1st 2 x 2nd
Moss Wood Chardonnay 2016 ------------- 2 x 1st 4 x 2nd

* Felton Road Block 2 Chardonnay 2010 ------- 6 x 1st 5 x 2nd
Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay 2007 -- 5 x 1st 6 x 2nd
Penfolds Yattarna Chardonnay 2002 (flawed) - 0 x 1st 0 x 2nd

Lakes Folly Chardonnay 2010 ----------- 3 x 1st 2 x 2nd
* Giaconda Chardonnay 2010 ----------- 4 x 1st 3 x 2nd
Kumeu River Hunting Hill Chard 2013 - 3 x 1st 4 x 2nd

Tyrrell's Vat 47 Chardonnay 2007 --------- 3 x 1st 4 x 2nd
* Cullen Kevin John Chardonnay 2011 ---- 6 x 1st 2 x 2nd
Sandalford Prendiville Chardonnay 2011 - 1 x 1st 4 x 2nd

* Kumeu River Mate's Chardonnay 2013 ------------ 10 x 1st 0 x 2nd
PYCM Hautes-Côtes de Beaune En Creuzilly 2015 -- 0 x 1st 10 x 2nd

(* denotes winner of each flight. I missed a 2nd place vote on flight 4 for those doing the maths)

Kumeu River Mate's Vineyard 2013 was narrowly voted Best Chardonnay Overall with 4 votes, ahead of the Giaconda 2010 with 3 votes, the Felton Road Block 2 2010 with 2 votes and the Penfolds Bin 15A with one vote.

Second Favourite Overall went to the Penfolds Bin 15A with 3 votes, then Mate's and Kevin John both on 2 votes each and one vote each for Holyman, LEAS and Lakes Folly.

Third Favourite votes were split between the Woodlands, 15A and Lakes Folly all on 2 votes each, with Vat 47, Hunting Hill, LEAS and Holyman getting one vote each.

(Although of course you could say the runners up for Best Overall were actually second and third etc)

My 2c....

Holyman and both the Kumeu's all had that bright tingly acid element that I love so much, a bit in the Kevin John too. Those 4, plus the Giaconda and 15A were my clear favourites, with honourable mention to the Lake's Folly, Felton Road and Riflemans. Wasn't taking notes but will try to say a few words on each one when I get a chance.

Did seem a pity to have the Kumeu Mate's up against only the PYCM in the last flight (the PYCM wasn't bad, just a bit simple, not even close to the same quality level (even though it's on the same price level)). But that's the way it worked out and hey it now leaves the gate wide open for another blind showdown between these winners, a young Yattarna and a decent white burg or two. :mrgreen:

The Giaconda was very good (and should improve), but while the flight of the Lakes Folly, Giaconda and Hunting Hill stood out as being the best flight overall, within that flight you can see the Giaconda wasn't a clear winner. Certainly those that voted for it as wine of the flight generally voted it their WOTN as well. Ah the label lovers. :D I preferred the Hunting Hill in that flight, but it was very close, all very good wines.

I got some good complexity and depth on the LEAS 07 but just couldn't get past the distracting heat on the palate, preferred the clean freshness of the Felton 2010. Also was my first Riflemans, thought it was very good, still young, well balanced, slightly more weighty, bit lower acid than the Kumeu's but a nice wine for $65. Not sure I'd buy over the top two Kumeu's though, maybe pick up one here and there for a point of difference.

We finished with three decent reds at the end thanks to Mick & Dave, a Lafarge Passetoutgrains 2013, Rockford Basket Press 2013 and Spinifex Esprit 2007. I'll confess I was too busy relaxing while finishing off my favourite Chard's at the end to have much red, but did like the Gamay and BP.

IMHO Conclusion : While we gave it a good go, without having 17 glasses each, you can never treat them all equally, and even that probably isn't equal. Either way the 1st wine vs 17th wine will always be judged differently, food was changing through the night which can make a difference, and of course you are only comparing three at a time, while keeping in mind those that have come before it for the final vote. But it was pretty obvious to all what wines stood above the rest, as per the results. One big factor with Chardonnay is that people prefer slightly different styles, oak treatment, acid level, aged characters etc. But we were mostly aligned this night. For me given the Kumeu Rivers and Holyman were around 50-70% the price of the Giaconda, Bin 15A and Kevin John, I know what I'll keep buying more of! We really are blessed with a lot of great Chardonnay over here.

(Thanks to dave vino for the pics)
[img]http://www.grapemates.org/files/Misc/ChardPrem.jpg[/img]
Last edited by TiggerK on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave vino

Re: Grape Mates Premium Chardonnay Blind Tasting (Aus/NZ)

Post by dave vino »

Great write-up Tim.

Was a fun night, although I did hit the Chardy Wall after about 12 of them.

Special thanks to you for your tireless work all night, getting everything sorted/poured/labelled while we sat and enjoyed ourselves.

I would drink most of them quite happily (non flawed ones), bearing in mind we tend to be hyper-critical in these type of situations so it can sometimes take the enjoyment out of them.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Thanks ObiWan, I mean Dave, modest effort but means even more coming from the master tasting writer-upper-er.

I reckon this is my lineup for the Grand Final Tasting...

Kumeu Mate's 13 or 14
Kumeu Hunting Hill 13 or 14
Giaconda 10, 13 or 14
Penfolds Bin 15A
Yattarna xx?
Cullen Kevin John 14
Holyman 15
LEAS 14
White Burg 14
White Burg 14

If my fellow AusWiners could pick one or two wines (max) to add to this lineup you think is a Genuine Contender, say so! Must be a recent vintage. I would like to get a Neudorf Moutere in there, but hard to find and I've not tried their more recent releases..

swirler

Post by swirler »

Chablis 14

maybs

Post by maybs »

TiggerK wrote:Thanks ObiWan, I mean Dave, modest effort but means even more coming from the master tasting writer-upper-er.

I reckon this is my lineup for the Grand Final Tasting...

Kumeu Mate's 13 or 14
Kumeu Hunting Hill 13 or 14
Giaconda 10, 13 or 14
Penfolds Bin 15A
Yattarna xx?
Cullen Kevin John 14
Holyman 15
LEAS 14
White Burg 14
White Burg 14

If my fellow AusWiners could pick one or two wines (max) to add to this lineup you think is a Genuine Contender, say so! Must be a recent vintage. I would like to get a Neudorf Moutere in there, but hard to find and I've not tried their more recent releases..
I've got the 13 and 15 Moutere Chardonnay Tim and on limited tastes I'd agree with putting it in the mix. Could argue the list til the cows come home but it's a good list
You can find me on Instagram at oz_oenophile
Follow for my little wine journey.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Cheers maybs,

I'm also curious about how the 2014 Kumeu River's compare to the stellar 2013's. Think we'll have to crack one or two for the team soon....

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

What an amazing lineup of the variety. That would have been an event to attend.... vic peeps.... perhaps the next offline theme now the
warmer weather is coming.

Thank you for the notes Tigger..... Im going to have to try the Giaconda now!

2014 Oakridge 864 Funder & Diamond block. Stunning wine that will hold its own in a tasting like this.

rooman

Post by rooman »

TiggerK wrote:
Following on from the AusWine Chardonnay (& Pinot) tasting a few weeks back (a great event), it was noted that many of the biggest names were missing. So we proposed that Grape Mates revisit the theme and round up as many of the highest regarded Chardonnays in Aus and NZ as we could and see how they perform in a blind lineup......
It is a bit of a pity for those of us who attended the earlier tasting that we couldn't have got the same range of chardonnays to that tasting. As you said there were some obvious gaps in the Auswine tasting especially around the NZ contingent.

Mark

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Maybe do a 15 White Burg to replace one of the 14s.

Not supposed to be a great year for whites..but quite a few have had surprising acidity...

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

many thanks Tim, really good read.
totally agree just how good Australian Chardonnays have become in the past decade. Really pushing white Burgundy at the Premier Cru level for quality, and obviously trouncing them for price at that level. (not up to GC level, but you never know in 30-50 years!!)

the PYCM HCdB Blanc is a decent wine, but never, ever shows well this young (actually, that applies to all PYCM wines). EP up here it was available for about $30, which is reasonable, but i can only shudder what you guys have to pay for it down there!!

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Polymer wrote:Maybe do a 15 White Burg to replace one of the 14s.

Not supposed to be a great year for whites..but quite a few have had surprising acidity...
Not had too many 15's as yet, but I've preferred the 14's every time thanks to that higher acid in the 14's. I find the 15's a bit flabby by comparison, but then again, the 15's I've had so far haven't been from my favourite producers either.... More research needed. :D Pricing is getting more painful every year though.

And felix, paid NZ$60 for the PYCM, think it was around $68 in Oz, gimme Kumeu River any day at this price point. More time would have helped it, nice balance and texture, but I don't think it's got the fruit weight to develop much interest. I should have put the PYCM 2014 La Pucelle in actually, would have shown better, and was around the same price.
Last edited by TiggerK on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Tim,

14s are good..15s can be riper with less acidity but some actually do have good acid....they might surprise you..especially blind..

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

I have seen around 300 whites from 2015, maybe a few more. It is a MUCH better year than the scribes first penned, interestingly, already some are back-pedalling and changing their tune. Some may be over-ripe, by Burgundy standards, but the lesser wines will really appeal to the general consumer with their up-front fruit and generous nature.
Also seen a similar number of 2014's, this is a fantastic year, probably as good as 2010, and only behind 2007 this century. They certainly are more structured but retain good depth and richness. I prefer 2014, but IMO 2015 has plenty to enthuse about.
As much as the scribes under-rated 2015 whites, they under-rated 2014 reds. Whilst not as good as the stellar 2015's, again there is plenty to enthuse about.
For me, the 2016's are variable, but mind-bogglingly good examples abound. The best of 2016 are as good as any barrel samples I have yet seen.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

I agree..There are some meh 15 whites but some are very surprisingly good...much better than what people were talking about early on...for whatever reason the acidity started coming around on a lot of them...

15 Reds...A good number are overripe..the fruit is probably too dark....but you have a lot that are in that perfect ripeness area...You also have very good ripeness levels for village and 1er...

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

spot on there Polymer.
IMO, too much weight is carried by the quality of GC vineyards in Burgundy. By that i mean, if your RSV is "too big" or "lacks finesse" then the scribes are quick to call the vintage as a whole average (or even worse!)
However, the vast, and I mean vast, amount of Burgundy is at the Villages and generic levels, and how they turn out is, logically, far more important than how DRC fared.
In 2015, the Burgundy satellites,and the "lesser" villages, think Santenay, Fixin, Beaune etc etc, performed remarkably well. The average Bourgogne Rouge is of a quality not seen before, and those appellations that struggle for ripeness on a yearly basis have produce wondrous wines. Therefore, for me, 2015 is an absolutely stellar year, and my advice is that the average punter should look to the fantastic QPR the lesser wines deliver from this vintage. Gosh, always hard to have "Burgundy" and QPR" in the same sentence!!!!!

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Quite a number of people love the 15 GCs...and the 15 Reds people keep talking about..but I'm with you...it is not the super expensive Burgs where 15 is impressive..it is all of the lesser wines that looking very good...

A lot of the 1ers are in that GC ripeness level but in a good way...you have a lot of village or even Bourgogne level wines that sometimes even too ripe...

Not everyone got it right...and some wines are lacking in acidity (16 looks like it'll be better) but lots of pretty good buys out there..

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

felixp21 wrote:spot on there Polymer.
Polymer wrote:but I'm with you
[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/l2QE5hd8ISLNuI17G/giphy.gif[/img]

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Nice GIF work Odyssey. BFF.