2016 Wendouree Mailer

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
trufflequeen

2016 Wendouree Mailer

Post by trufflequeen »

Yes, it's that time of the year again... Giddy with excitement as I spotted the now familiar hand-addressed envelope in my mailbox this afternoon.

On offer:
Shiraz Mataro - $45 / bottle
Shiraz Malbec - $45 / bottle
Shiraz - $60 / bottle (slight increase from last year)
Malbec - $45 / bottle
Cabernet Sauvignon - $55 / bottle
Cabernet Malbec - $55 / bottle
Muscat - $25 / bottle

Usual note that limit of 6 bottles applies to the shiraz, and that dispatch will take several months. Now to work out what to order!

phillisc

Re: 2016 Wendouree Mailer

Post by phillisc »

TQ, never mind Rio...let the games begin :D :D
Gold medals all round here!

Cheers
Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

I will order my usual X No. of bottles and expect to receive the usual x/4.

cheers
Phill
Drink the wine, not the label.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Here we go again!

For those that haven't figured out the crayon code yet, measure the angle between the mark and the top of the page. Multiply by 1.3 and then add the day of the month you received the mailer (e.g. if you receive the mailer on 8 July, add 8 to the number). The resulting number corresponds to the percentage of wines you'll be allocated based on your request (e.g. if you got 74, it means that you'll receive 74% of what you asked for). If you have a red crayon mark, add 5%. For a back crayon mark, subtract 7%. For a green crayon mark, add 12%. If you have no crayon mark, then use this formula instead. Take your postcode and divide by the day of the month you received the mailer. Ignore decimal point and take the first two digits only (e.g. if your postcode is 2163 and you received the mailer on 11 July, use the number 19). Finally multiply by 3.8. The resulting number corresponds to the percentage of wines you'll be allocated based on your request.

Now that we've settled all that once and for all, there will be no need to discuss this any further.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

trufflequeen

Post by trufflequeen »

crusty2 wrote:I will order my usual X No. of bottles and expect to receive the usual x/4.

cheers
Phill

Last year I over-ordered significantly in anticipation of only receiving a small number of requested bottles. However, they sent the whole lot. :shock: Needless to say, there were a few wine-loving friends who received a special gift of a bottle. This year, my daughter's birth year wines will be released, so hoping for a good spread (and good show of the shiraz).

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Thought i saw my mailer blowing down the street yesterday. crikey the wind was crazy.
Any other Adelaideans not received the mailer.?
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Haven't seen mine arrive yet, but then someone told me recently mail now takes 10 days to reach Perth!

ufo

Post by ufo »

Completed order form is already in transit. :D

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

WAwineguy wrote:Haven't seen mine arrive yet, but then someone told me recently mail now takes 10 days to reach Perth!

ok no need to wendoufreak out yet.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Scotty, mine was post marked July 6th and arrived Friday July 8th.

Have already sent off for a mixed selection.
Cheers
Craig

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Got mine. Slight error in the admin/address department on my behalf. :roll:
Now what to order.... :D

NectarOfTheGods

Post by NectarOfTheGods »

EXCITING! I'm going to crack an 83 Wendouree Shiraz to go with filling out the order form :)

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Got it - red crayon, no less, in only my second year. Maybe some people are dropping off the lists during the recession!

calm

Post by calm »

WAwineguy wrote:Got it - red crayon, no less, in only my second year. Maybe some people are dropping off the lists during the recession!

I got red in my 2nd year as well, what does that mean?
Craig S

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

calm wrote:
WAwineguy wrote:Got it - red crayon, no less, in only my second year. Maybe some people are dropping off the lists during the recession!

It means if you don't put an order in this year, you won't get a red crayon mark next year :idea: :lol:

hecka

Post by hecka »

Mine is still yet to arrive-anyone else still waiting in Melbourne?

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

hecka wrote:Mine is still yet to arrive-anyone else still waiting in Melbourne?

If you're concerned your mailer has gone missing, call them up. I'm in Melbourne and mine arrived a week ago.

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

WAwineguy wrote:
calm wrote:

It means if you don't put an order in this year, you won't get a red crayon mark next year :idea: :lol:

I've had the red crayon for 16 vintages now ...

-- George Krashos

grapeobserver

Post by grapeobserver »

Also arrived about a week ago (Melbourne). Just out of interest, can anyone remind as to the "hierarchy of the crayons"?

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

I'd like to know how many years before you graduate to black crayon. 16 years sounds like a fair length of time. Sounds similar to waiting for an MCC membership.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

George Krashos wrote:
WAwineguy wrote:
calm wrote:

-- George Krashos

There's always gotta be someone to spoil your fun.... :roll:

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

wiggum wrote:I'd like to know how many years before you graduate to black crayon. 16 years sounds like a fair length of time. Sounds similar to waiting for an MCC membership.

Actually Wiggum no :cry:

Nearly quarter of a million on the waiting list at the MCG with December '96 nominations currently 'being considered'.
My lads are 20 and 22 and I put their names down a few years ago, they will be middle aged before they get in...its the one time to try and match the corporate elite and all their rich and famous hangers on, especially those tossers who get given a ticket.
Cheaper and easier to get 10-20 together and buy a box for the day.
Or part with a grand for a bit of bacon and eggs and sit in the nose bleed section like I did about 5 years ago.

Cheers
Craig

tarija

Post by tarija »

phillisc wrote:
wiggum wrote:I'd like to know how many years before you graduate to black crayon. 16 years sounds like a fair length of time. Sounds similar to waiting for an MCC membership.

Actually Wiggum no :cry:

Nearly quarter of a million on the waiting list at the MCG with December '96 nominations currently 'being considered'.
My lads are 20 and 22 and I put their names down a few years ago, they will be middle aged before they get in...its the one time to try and match the corporate elite and all their rich and famous hangers on, especially those tossers who get given a ticket.
Cheaper and easier to get 10-20 together and buy a box for the day.
Or part with a grand for a bit of bacon and eggs and sit in the nose bleed section like I did about 5 years ago.

Cheers
Craig

I wouldn't bother with the MCC membership, unless you intend on i) using reciprocal access rights overseas when a full member; or ii) if you intended on going to 20+ days at the MCG a year.

It is a very overrated and unnecessary membership for general use.

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

Nice discussion on the MCC membership but no one has answered my question. Maybe its an unknown.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

wiggum wrote:Nice discussion on the MCC membership but no one has answered my question. Maybe its an unknown.

I suspect this is an unknown science to everyone. At least you are on the list and getting something of what you are after. I have the initials APB and provided I order across the board I get everything I ask for. One year though - I think it was 2013, I asked for just the shiraz, and nothing was forthcoming.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Sorry Wiggum, dreaming about having a beer in the MCG members enclosure...that's all it will be for me.

Wendouree is interesting, have always had initials and in 15 out of 25+ years have just ordered a small amount of mainly Shiraz. In the last 8-10 years I have increased the volumes and still got what I ordered...touch wood its the case this year too, with a larger order of 2014s.

Tarija, you are right. On a handful of occasions now I have attended a presidents lunch. At about $60 an hour its a lot cheaper for me and a lot more convenient. Suspect once the Hawks fall over, normal order will be restored and it won't be as hard to secure tickets for the bigger matches.
Here's hoping anyway.

Cheers
Craig

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

What Wendouree thread is complete without a discussion on the crayon v initials v blank form?
If we actually work it out I fear the earth will move off it's axis. :shock:

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

I am on the waiting list and expect to get an invite with my 16 year old son in about 3 -4 years (they are up to late 96 regos - so a 20 year wait atm). I cant wait, although my Hawks will probably have dropped off by then. Still a ''fourpeat'' would be an outstanding effort and give everyone else the sh..... I wonder if anyone has been to Vic Roads to try and register "4thorn".

I have been very fortunate with my red mark and received everything asked for except maybe some straight Cab around 06/08 vintage. Very happy with that.

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

George Krashos wrote:
WAwineguy wrote:
calm wrote:

-- George Krashos

Red for me since 1994

cheers
Drink the wine, not the label.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

crusty2 wrote:Red for me since 1994

That was back in the day when there were no limits restrictions. There was no need then for different mailing list hierarchy. I think the first 'restriction' vintage was 1996.
Imugene, cure for cancer.