Sydney Wendouree Offline.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Hacker

Sydney Wendouree Offline.

Post by Hacker »

I know we have not had the Henschke offline as yet, but in keeping with the recent themed dinners of late (Rockford, Torbreck, Cabernet) I am proposing a Wendouree dinner in June.

Just last night I had a fabulous dinner at Ripples Milsons Point; beautiful food at keen prices with world beating views of the bridge and harbour. And very near Milsons Point train station as well. So, if this is ok with people, I recon this would be a great venue. http://www.ripplesmilsonspoint.com.au/

Just to put a date on paper how about Thursday 20th June? Ripples actually closes the following week for kitchen renovations.

I'll kick off with a 1994 Wendouree Shiraz and perhaps something else as well.

There is always a lot of talk about Wendouree on the board so hopefully this may interest a few people. Just respond by posting below. :)

Regards,
David M.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

LawrenceM

Re: Sydney Wendouree Offline.

Post by LawrenceM »

I'm keen

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Like Errol Flynn.

ufo

Post by ufo »

Do you guys have to have these offlines on Thursday nights?
How about Friday or Saturday night or even Saturday afternoon?

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

ufo wrote:Do you guys have to have these offlines on Thursday nights?
How about Friday or Saturday night or even Saturday afternoon?

Certainly could be persuaded, however we do it this way so the weekend is free for wife and family/non wine related social engagements. Hangover gone by Friday night. 8)

Would others prefer a Friday or Saturday night, say Friday 21st or Saturday 22nd June?

ufo

Post by ufo »

But you end up going to work with a hangover on Friday.
Lets do it Friday night.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Im in ... am about to receive a 95 Cab and 92 Cab Malbec ex-auction so will see how they look when they arrive
------------------------------------
Sam

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Great idea David, you're on a roll mate!

I'm very keen but can't confirm 100% just yet.
Also would only available for Thurs though, as away on Fri for weekend. No worries if Fri or Sat suits the group better.

No idea what I'd bring, have no Wendouree left in cellar, but will see if I can persuade a grape mate to sell me one of their stash :P

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Hacker wrote:I know we have not had the Henschke offline as yet, but in keeping with the recent themed dinners of late (Rockford, Torbreck, Cabernet) I am proposing a Wendouree dinner in June.

Just last night I had a fabulous dinner at Ripples Milsons Point; beautiful food at keen prices with world beating views of the bridge and harbour. And very near Milsons Point train station as well. So, if this is ok with people, I recon this would be a great venue. http://www.ripplesmilsonspoint.com.au/

Just to put a date on paper how about Thursday 20th June? Ripples actually closes the following week for kitchen renovations.

I'll kick off with a 1994 Wendouree Shiraz and perhaps something else as well.

There is always a lot of talk about Wendouree on the board so hopefully this may interest a few people. Just respond by posting below. :)

Regards,
David M.

Fly me over!

I have multiple vintages of them all ... you can pick :roll: :roll:

regards

Gavin Trott

Adair

Post by Adair »

Could be convinced! :-)
Wine is bottled poetry.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

I would be keen. A Sat night would suit me best, but don't bust a gut because of it.

I have a few Wendouree's sleeping (alas no Shiraz) so it might be a good time to knock to top off of one.

Cheers, Travis.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

sjw_11 wrote:Im in ... am about to receive a 95 Cab and 92 Cab Malbec ex-auction so will see how they look when they arrive

I also just got a great deal on a 2002 Shiraz which looks in excellent condition straight from a wine merchant's cellar since release...the 95 Cab and 92 Cab Malbecs also look in great nick... so I now have a couple of options depending on what others have.
Sam

burges

Post by burges »

I'm in ... I'll get a 98 Shiraz Mataro.
I can do Thu or Fri, but unfortunately not Saturday.

Adair

Post by Adair »

FWIW - Thursday night works for me
Wine is bottled poetry.

ufo

Post by ufo »

OK lets have a vote for Thursday or Friday night.

One for Friday from me.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Friday would be better for me most likely
Sam

Adair

Post by Adair »

Hacker wrote:this way so the weekend is free for wife and family/non wine related social engagements

Yep - my life is the same. :-)
Wine is bottled poetry.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

So now the Henschke offline is down and dusted, I hope there is still interest for the Wendouree offline at Ripples Milsons Point. Picking the night has been difficult to suit everyone, and I'm not sure the poll wasn't flawed in some way even though it showed a distinct bias one way! Perhaps to help settle the dilemma I spoke to Ripples and they have a strict 2 seating policy on Friday nights; in at 6pm and out by 8pm, or in at 8 and out at whenever. Doesn't really suit. Thursday has no restrictions.

So even though it doesn't suit everyone Thursday night the 20th June at 6.30 it is.

So far we have interest from
Hacker 1994 Shiraz
Lawrence
Dave vino
sjw 11 2002 Shiraz
Michael R
Adair
Baby Chickpea 2010 Shiraz Malbec + one comparison red??
Dave Martyn
TravisW maybe
Burges 1998 Shiraz mataro
Polymer
UFO 2002 Shiraz Mataro

Pretty full now. Also attendees what are you bringing?
Last edited by Hacker on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Hi David, very keen to commit to this, but will need a couple more weeks to confirm. Apologies if this brings any hassle, and fully understand if the spaces fill before I can get organised.

Adair

Post by Adair »

I am in.

I love the Cabernet (CS and/or CM) more than the Shiraz... generalisation of course, so I will bring one of them. I will confirm the vintage/exact wine the next time I go to my cellar. I have basically all Wendouree wines with a 2XXX vintage on them. The one I bring is the one I first find (or the oldest I find with a reasonable amount of effort)... my cellar is not what you would call perfectly organised.

Also, can I propose we all bring 2 wines, one sparkling/white and one Wendouree, just to give a little balance to the evening? A whole evening of Wendouree reds might be a little palate consuming. However, I am happy to be told to "stick my head in". Feedback either way please. I'll bring two Muscat of Alexandria Wendourees as a my third/fourth wine to truly round out the evening.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Adair wrote:
Also, can I propose we all bring 2 wines, one sparkling/white and one Wendouree, just to give a little balance to the evening? A whole evening of Wendouree reds might be a little palate consuming. However, I am happy to be told to "stick my head in". Feedback either way please. I'll bring two Muscat of Alexandria Wendourees as a my third/fourth wine to truly round out the evening.

Adair

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking back to the last Wendouree night, back 7 or so years ago at Food and Plonk in Lindfield, and it was at times a palate searing evening, testing to say the least. A mix of some whites/other wines for some variety, also considering the menu has good variety as well, is a good idea. That doesn't mean that everyone has to bring two bottles, but some may wish to. I might bring a champers as well to start. If one or two others may wish to bring a white wine that may balance the evening.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Well hopefully I can find something before all the spots run out :).

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Polymer wrote:Well hopefully I can find something before all the spots run out :).

No hurry, you're in.

ufo

Post by ufo »

I'll be there, can bring 2002 Sh/Mt.
Cheers

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I have the final day of a 3 day training course and exam the following day....should be fun.

"I'm sorry 'Oh God my head', was not one of the options"

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Just wanted to bump this up to remind attendees that the offline is on in 4 more sleeps! Is everyone who has shown an interest still coming, and if you haven't nominated what you are bringing, have a think and post soon. Don't forget we were thinking of a few non Wendouree wines if you want, to compare and contrast styles.

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

Well hopefully my Wendouree comes through....although if I can bring something else that puts less pressure on me :).

Adair

Post by Adair »

All good. I am sure Danny and Dave are as well.
I will crawl down to the cellar shortly.
Wine is bottled poetry.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Wont be able to attend. Flying out early on Friday for a short break (inc the Brisbane Test :-)) and can see myself stuck in work till late on Thurs.

Have a great night.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I'll bring a 2008 Shiraz.