Lunch with Muscat Mike and Jafa

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Craig(NZ)

Lunch with Muscat Mike and Jafa

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Muscat Mike is one of the real gentlemen of the wine forum world. It is always a pleasure to share a wine with him. With his trip over to Auckland we got together for a very casual lunch at mine. Impressions from memory only, we just drank em and enjoyed them. No apologies for any bias.

We started off with a trip to Puriri Hills where we were lucky enough to share in the leftovers of a wine/ food matchin exercise for Judy's Bracu Dinner which she is having in a couple of weeks. The wines had been open a couple of days.

2004 Puriri Hills Estate. I wasn't a huge fan of this vintage of estate when it came out but now it is fully deleloped it is a pure pleasure to drink. Lots of integrated seconday flavours. just so much interest. Formal dinner claret, pretty and detailed

2006 Puriri Hills Reserve. Stunning integrated wine. Developed, savoury and sweet. Endless palate, so so so complex. Stunning. I've tried this wine many mnay times and this is by far the best it has ever shown

2008 Puriri Hills Estate. A lot more primary in all aspects. Purple hue in comparison to the more aged red of the previous wine. Chalky tannins with juicy, breezy fruit. Not the complexity of the previous two but that will no doubt come with time.

2008 Puriri Hills Reserve. Showed well, more depth and structure than the estate obviously. Perhaps shutting down a bit but we did try this wine out of a new bottle as Judy had it disappear while watching a movie the previous night (and why not)

2008 Puriri Hills Pope. Opened for two days this wine showed better than the bottle we had at lunch showing sweet spice, eastern spices and a long long rich soft finish. Luxurious

2007 Puriri Hills Estate. The only wine to show to me any oxidisation from being open for two days. A lesser vintage on paper but no Reserve or Pope made which helps this wine. Notes a bit unfair as it was on the way out

Then with Lunch

1998 Tyrrells Vat 1 Semillon. Just loved this. NZ doesn't come anywhere close with this grape. Just perfect mature interesting white wine. Woulda gone great with some seafood. Fantastic thx Mike

1991 Wynns Centenary Shiraz Cab. ex magnum. To me a perfect place in its development. Rich, integrated, complex and generous. Serious stuff. Thx Mike

1998 Esk Valley Terraces. Perhaps not quite as good as the bottle we had a couple of years back but this even so was one of the favourites of the day. Still youthful in colour and fruit driven, seductive and black fruited. Lots of black fruit with tinges of spice. Classy. Thx Jafa. I will help you drink another whenever you are free ;-)

1998 Vidals Reserve Cab Merlot. I bought many of these along with many 98 Awateas and the head to head comparison had it coming out 2nd just because it was a bit clunky. A few more years seems to have fixed this. Lovely wine, fine, perfectly ripe and vital.

1999 Stonyridge Larose. A textbook cabernet blend. Varietal from 100 metres away. Only a retard would pick this as anything else but the most classical of cabernet styles. Lovely understated fruit, stunning purity and varietal definition. A textbook in a glass.

2007 Te Mata Coleraine. A mamoth Coleraine which competes with the 1991 for biggest ever Coleraine. This needs a pile of time, preferably a decade or more further development. A broad rich wine. I'm not sure this will end up pipping the 2009 as best Coleraine of the decade but it certainly could argue itself as 2nd or 3rd.

2008 Puriri Hills Pope. Certainly supercharged and the alcohol was certainly there today. Sultry, spicy, finely boned, rich and long. It certainly has the cult wine feel to it. I would have liked to have decanted this on reflection. Based on the mornings tasting also, it needs some time.

2009 Sacred Hill Brokenstone Merlot. Modern and dense Merlot with a fine detailed structure. The oak is showing a little at this young age but it is sure to integrate. needs time. Very nice

2010 Sacred Hill Helmsman. Again finely structured, linear and textural wine. Looks of concentration in this wine and it really is packed with some luxurious fruit. Modern and convincing. Will cellar but also amazingly approachable

Very very hard to pick a winner for the day. Speaking with Mike his thoughts the same. They were all stunning wines. For me to drink today slow and long id probably actually give the nod to the 2006 Puriri Reserve opeed for two days! That was so good! Everything else id give at least 100 points to :D

TiggerK

Re: Lunch with Muscat Mike and Jafa

Post by TiggerK »

Awesome NZ focused bunch of legendary labels there guys and gals!! Superb effort. :D And proper kudos to Muscat Mike with two worthy legends of Aus in the Vat 1 98 and Centenary 91. Two good corks too, be thankful.

Bit grumpy though as I'm bidding on a Stonyridge Larose 99 and Coleraine 09 here, you've no doubt just driven the price up! Your post could surely have waited until Thursday! :evil:

:D

Cheers
Tim

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Craig thank you for the most enjoyable day. Great food, great companions and superb wines. Not one dud. All but 2 had corks and they came out well. As usual your notes are right on the money and yes, you have convinced me, NZ wines are right up there in the top echelon of wines. I also had the Elston with dinner last night. Thanks, it was very enjoyable. Plenty of fruit and acid.
Was fantastic to again meet your wife Mel and your incredible, record breaking daughters.
All the very best and let me know when you are coming over to the main Island and give me the chance to reciprocate.
Mike.

jafa

Post by jafa »

Thanks to Craig and Mel for hosting what turned out to be a very long lunch.
Thanks all for their wine contributions, especially Muscat Mike, who braved international aviation
travel whilst in possession of bulk liquids, to deliver a pair of beaut Aussie icons. Many thanks Mike.

The Vat 1 was excellent. Great look in the glass, green/yellow coloured oil. Smooth, resolved, weighty
on the palate, and gentle melon flavoured with honeysuckle notes.

Wynns Centenary, Craigs TN has it covered. Very good.

Terraces, wiff of EA on opening. When that dispersed a reasonable showing. Needed decanting.
Truth be told, all of them probably could have used airtime in a decanter, especially the younger wines.

Larose. My WOTN, and this bottle reinforced my view the 1999 vintage is one of the best from Stonyridge. Love it.
Must have been a low fill on the bottle 'cos this disappeared quicker than drovers dog on a flushed rabbit. :mrgreen:

The two Sacred Hills wines; young bold plush dense. Made for those who like to buy them and drink'em straight
away, but will last the distance in the cellar. The Brokenstone has a solid splash of Syrah in the mix. Have to
say I struggled with the dry dusty tannins that comes with young Syrah. Needs plenty of time.

Craig offered a vintage choice on the Coleraine. I plumped for 2007 as a first taste of that vintage. Big mistake.
The 2005 is an approachable wine already, mellow plush drinking, The 2007 however is a monster. An assault on
the senses. Comatose for at least two minutes after the first taste. Should be good for 25+ years. If you plan
to have some of this at Xmas, splash it into the decanter now. :D :D

cheers jafa.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

The 2007 however is a monster. An assault on
the senses. Comatose for at least two minutes after the first taste. Should be good for 25+ years. If you plan
to have some of this at Xmas, splash it into the decanter now.

Pays to have gone long on this vintage. Next bottle isn't going to be opened for may years!

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Muscat Mike wrote:Craig thank you for the most enjoyable day. Great food, great companions and superb wines. Not one dud. All but 2 had corks and they came out well. As usual your notes are right on the money and yes, you have convinced me, NZ wines are right up there in the top echelon of wines. I also had the Elston with dinner last night. Thanks, it was very enjoyable. Plenty of fruit and acid.
Was fantastic to again meet your wife Mel and your incredible, record breaking daughters.
All the very best and let me know when you are coming over to the main Island and give me the chance to reciprocate.
Mike.

Anytime Mike. I am glad you went away with top NZ bdx reds square between the eyes. Was a lovely and, as Jafa said, looonnnnng lunch. I think i need to invest in another decanter though and shall do exactly that as soon as I see a good deal!!

Craig

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Impressive line-up guys -- I'm jealous.

The '07 Coleraine was the 1st one I bought a case of ('09 was 2nd), & your's & Jafa's notes confirm what I was planning on doing in any case -- not touching it for at least another 5 years.

Cheers
Peter

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Peter NZ wrote:Impressive line-up guys -- I'm jealous.

The '07 Coleraine was the 1st one I bought a case of ('09 was 2nd), & your's & Jafa's notes confirm what I was planning on doing in any case -- not touching it for at least another 5 years.

Cheers
Peter

or 10