Taking wine to Singapore?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
AaronL

Taking wine to Singapore?

Post by AaronL »

Hi

I'm off to Singapore next week and want to know what it is like for duty free allowance. The Singapore regulators have very kindly allowed 2L of wine as the limit, but I have very few wines that come in 1L bottles :P .

Just becasue I'm greedy I'm trying to work out how to get more than 2 x 750mL per person. Can we take:

1. 5 x 750mL bottles between 2 people
2. Take the risk and have 3 x 750ml bottles per person (besides, how tough can Singaporean law be anyway :wink: )

Anybody had any experience with this?
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

PaulG

Re: Taking wine to Singapore?

Post by PaulG »

I can't say I've had experience going into Singapore, but coming back from South Africa, I've never had problems bringing 6 bottles (between 2 people) back in (I believe you're allowed 2.5 litres each) and have never had a problem.

I wouldn't push it too far in Singapore though!

milky

Post by milky »

I think if you're travelling as a party, they might allow the total litres of wine brought in to be pooled - but don't quote me on that.

Many people I know have far exceeded the amount of wines they brought in by using particular tricks, which I don't feel that I should share in such an open context... :wink:

If you want to bring in more, and want to do the right thing and declare, you'll just need to pay the duties for the amount exceeding, which is $70 per litre of alcohol (e.g. a 15% bottle will cost you 15% x 0.75L x $70 = $7.88 ), and I think possibly GST (7% on sale price) too. Even if you pay duties & tax, it'll still be heaps cheaper than buying wine in Singapore, and you're having wines you know you'd like (I presume). Link: http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trad/ ... +Goods.htm

Hope the above helps!

Btw, you're here for leisure?
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

AaronL

Post by AaronL »

Thanks for your reply milky.

That link is very useful. You can PM the sneaky tricks if you feel the need, but I think we'll be happy to bring 3 bottles per person.

We're just in Singapore for a few days of leisure before jetting off to the UK for some more leisure 8)
I was waiting for a moment, but that moment never came

milky

Post by milky »

Sounds good.
Well, if you're in town between now and 04-Sep, you might want to head to Tanglin Mall for a Wine Fair organised by 'The Local Nose'. You can Google for details, but they have a good number of wines for tasting... :)

Have fun!
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!