BYO degustation restaurant recommendation in Sydney

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
pc79

BYO degustation restaurant recommendation in Sydney

Post by pc79 »

Hi helpful forumites -
I know that it has most probably been thoroughly covered in other areas of the forum.
I'm looking for a BYO up and comer in sydney (City/East/Inner West) for dinner in a few weeks. I suppose I've been fortunate to hit Oscillate Wildly and Bistro Ortolan before all the hype inflated their prices by 100%. Has anyone got any recommendations for a little gem that you may have found. No problems with Flying Fish, Claudes etc but I'm always on the lookout for something new and brilliant before the vultures get their claws into them.
Many thanks
Paul

Seven

Re: BYO degustation restaurant recommendation in Sydney

Post by Seven »

What about...
Waqu or Balzac?

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

How does "BYO Degustation" work? Do you tell the restaurant in advance which wines you're bringing?
GG

Loztralia

Post by Loztralia »

It's not exactly unknown but Blue Ginger in Balmain is very, very good pan-Asian.
3, 65, 7, 50

pc79

Post by pc79 »

BYO degustation - I suppose me engrish is not grate ;) - a restaurant that has a degustation menu that allows you to BYO.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Alio in Redfern is fantastic. Great food - they do a degustation - and allow BYO for a reasonable rate.

Not so much a degustation but excellent mid range a la catre diner with good mod oz fare is Linda's on King in Newtown. BYO and usually around $60 a head for three courses. Just ate there again last night.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

pc79 wrote:BYO degustation - I suppose me engrish is not grate ;) - a restaurant that has a degustation menu that allows you to BYO.

Kinda figured that after I posted. :oops:
Think I'm preconditioned to regard "degustation with matched wines" as a non-component concept.
cheers,
GG

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

I will second Alios in Redfern. Food and service is excellent. They look after your wine well.
Mike.