Like Going Back 40 Years

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
David

Like Going Back 40 Years

Post by David »

We were serving one of red wines at Barossa Under the Stars last night. 9,000 people to see John Farnham. Sold quite a few dozen.

There was a great demand for roses, sweet whites and moscatoes mainly from young women. It was like going back 40 years in taste. I guess for moscato now read Barossa Pearl and so on then. Hope these people go onto the rest of the world of wine or is this just brought about by sweet alco pops. I was even asked by a sweet young thing whether shiraz was anything like champagne. Maybe I should get out more.

Hope they are not stuck in a time warp.

platinum

Re: Like Going Back 40 Years

Post by platinum »

Not so sure, I like most savoury style wines both red and white but I love a good Moscato and they are seeming more and more popular. I think the grapes for moscato are been planted more and more lately

Davo

Post by Davo »

I guess you have never tasted Barossa Pearl :lol: (or Rhinegold, Starwine etc)

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

There's a huge (and I mean HUGE) drop down poster in Sydney's Myer down to the food court advertising the new Jacob's Creek Moscato.

There's certainly a band wagon going past and everyone's jumping on it.

I've personally introduced moscato to about ten people and they are all mad for it now. I personally think there's a time and place for everything but as summer approaches, the time and place is arriving.

I can't possibly explain someone (anyone) thinking shiraz might be like champagne though. Hilarious.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

[quote="David"I was even asked by a sweet young thing whether shiraz was anything like champagne. Maybe I should get out more./quote]
Maybe she meant sparkling Shiraz David :idea: :?: :wink:
Mike.

malliemcg

Post by malliemcg »

This will make it even harder to get a nice moscato as they become over sweet and sugary to cater to the emerging market :\. I should be upbeat, but I don't enjoy trend to trend to trend getting in my way. At least more people will be trying something new, perhaps some new wine fans to be made from it.

David

Post by David »

bacchaebabe wrote:There's a huge (and I mean HUGE) drop down poster in Sydney's Myer down to the food court advertising the new Jacob's Creek Moscato.

I've personally introduced moscato to about ten people and they are all mad for it now. I personally think there's a time and place for everything but as summer approaches, the time and place is arriving.

I can't possibly explain someone (anyone) thinking shiraz might be like champagne though. Hilarious.

I agree tha Moscato can be a delightful wine. One of the best I have had is made by my mate Ross Virgara in the Barossa - "the brand is "The Grapes of Ross" Lovely and fresh with true muscat flavour.

However, there are a number of "moscatos" i have seen that are not made from frontignac grapes but from riesling, traminer and so on. In Italy moscato is made from frontignac and if we are to get anywhere near this style we should be using the same grape. It has such a positive and distinctive flavour that is the essence of the style.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

David wrote:
bacchaebabe wrote:There's a huge (and I mean HUGE) drop down poster in Sydney's Myer down to the food court advertising the new Jacob's Creek Moscato.

I agree tha Moscato can be a delightful wine. One of the best I have had is made by my mate Ross Virgara in the Barossa - "the brand is "The Grapes of Ross" Lovely and fresh with true muscat flavour.

However, there are a number of "moscatos" i have seen that are not made from frontignac grapes but from riesling, traminer and so on. In Italy moscato is made from frontignac and if we are to get anywhere near this style we should be using the same grape. It has such a positive and distinctive flavour that is the essence of the style.

I reckon Ross could potentially have a huge market if instead of calling it "The Grapes of Ross", have a label with just the "Virgara" name in a blue diamond. Follow it up with a "sex in the bottle" marketing campaign, and there's a quick fortune to be made... :wink:

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

David

Post by David »

n4sir wrote:
David wrote:

I reckon Ross could potentially have a huge market if instead of calling it "The Grapes of Ross", have a label with just the "Virgara" name in a blue diamond. Follow it up with a "sex in the bottle" marketing campaign, and there's a quick fortune to be made... :wink:

Cheers,
Ian

Ian, you are so right. Trouble is that the Virgara name is used by part of the family at a winery at Angle Vale. If it could be done though , how about a give away condom attached to the neck of each bottle. Or am i being too subtle.

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

David wrote:Ian, you are so right. Trouble is that the Virgara name is used by part of the family at a winery at Angle Vale. If it could be done though , how about a give away condom attached to the neck of each bottle. Or am i being too subtle.

Yeah David, subtle like a sledgehammer. :shock: :lol:
Mike.