Dunsborough last weekend

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Dunsborough last weekend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

The delightful Sue and I attended a 50th birthday in Dunsborough last weekend. But not just ANY 50th - the gentleman in question is a local winemaker, so of course, some quality wines were produced.

Lunch on the way down was at Wise Wines, and we bought Pemberton Chardonnay and a lovely Blanc De Blanc. Panoramic views and good food.

The birthday was over two days. Friday night was at a local restaurant, and the birthday boy and myself went there in the afternoon to decant reds and fridge whites. They wisely put our party of 15 in the courtyard, and I mostly looked after the wine service. The wines included:

Petaluma Riesling 2001 (en magnum) - very good indeed
Mt Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon 1999 (corked)
Stephen John Riesling 2007 (Clare Valley) - singing
A 2004 grand cru chablis whose name I cannot remember (disappointing wine, and I provided it)
McHenry Hohnen Rocky Road Chardonnay 2007 - I'd be pleased to look at this again on its own
Penfolds Grange 1985 - right on song, and I suspect at it's best
Penfolds Grange 1988 - VA a little overpowering, not necessarily a good bottle
Penfolds 707 1990 - most of this was held over until the following night, but a very powerful cabernet.
Warres vintage port 1977 - a little simple and a tad disappointing. Again most held over until the following night, but I didn't see it again.

Sue and I made a couple of tasting visits on the Saturday - Woody Nook (disappointing), Hay Shed Hill (a varietal Petit Verdot amongst others) and of course the obligatory visit to Ashbrook (much money spent).

The Saturday night party included a myriad of wines, and I will attempt to go through my chemically affected memory bank:

Giant Steps Chardonnay 2006: one of mine, and greatly appreciated by people that work next door to Devils Lair in Margaret River (used to be owned by Phil Sexton, prior to establishing Giant Steps)

Eileen Hardy Chardonnay (2004 I think): worth trying but very oaky, and I love my oak.

McHenry Hohnen reds, whose composition escapes me - regardless, good wines across the board.

Flying Fish Cove Sparkling white (pinot dominant/chardonnay) and Sparkling red - both very more-ish, and made by someone with an innate sense of balance when putting these together. Easy drinking styles.

The following day saw a leisurely drive back to Perth via the South West Highway, and the scenic road through the Serpentine National Park - to Millbrook. The Rathbone family also owns Deep Woods in Margaret River, and Lakes Folly in the Hunter, and it's obvious they have a quid or two. A single person helicopter landed while we arrived and I suspect it was the vineyard manager. They source grapes from Ferguson Valley, Chittering, and places in between.

Regardless, this is a winery experience not to be missed. The location is idyllic (we lunched on a timber decking area over the tranquil lake) and some of the wines are more than serviceable. They have the Barking Owl second label, but if you like chardonnay, go for the first label Millbrook. Not cheap, but I wish I wasn't driving that day (and Sue was fortunate).

The car slowed down the closer to Perth we got. A weekend to remember, with good friends, and great wines.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Davo

Re: Dunsborough last weekend

Post by Davo »

Waiters Friend wrote:G'day

The following day saw a leisurely drive back to Perth via the South West Highway, and the scenic road through the Serpentine National Park - to Millbrook. The Rathbone family also owns Deep Woods in Margaret River, and Lakes Folly in the Hunter, and it's obvious they have a quid or two. A single person helicopter landed while we arrived and I suspect it was the vineyard manager. They source grapes from Ferguson Valley, Chittering, and places in between.

Cheers

Allan

Wrong family. Peter Fogarty owns those properties.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

You're right, Davo, got my wires crossed. Is it the Rathbones that own Yering Station?
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Waiters Friend wrote:You're right, Davo, got my wires crossed. Is it the Rathbones that own Yering Station?

Yep, that and Mt Langhi, Xanadu, and Parker.