Sunday 19th July......

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Sunday 19th July......

Post by TORB »

Morning Good Peoples,

Its that time of the week again. Please let us know what you have been guzzlin' over the last week. List, vibes, impressions or tasting notes all welcome.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

monghead

Post by monghead »

Just a quick note to get things rolling, will post impressions/TNs on these later:

- 2005 Tempus Two Zinfandel
- 2008 Clonakilla Riesling
- 1989 M Chapoutier Sizeranne Hermitage

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Grosset Chardonnay 05 - quite developed but excellent
Paringa Estate Reserve Pinot 06 - good but qpr is a bit questionable
Limestone Ridge cabernet 98 - average on opening but very good the day after
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

dlo

Post by dlo »

Petaluma Merlot 1998
July 15th, 2009

Last night a delightful bottle of Petaluma 1998 Merlot - this outstanding 100% Coonawarra merlot displays a very deep youthful dark ruby colour, medium- to full-weight, is loaded with deliciously fragrant plummy, earthy fruit, nicely counterbalanced by high-calibre new savoury French oak and reveals terrific line and length. Dusty tannins and bright integrated acidity deliver a still quite boisterous structure and the merest hint of some varietal vegetal character (a hint of roast turnip) is no bad thing whatsoever. Needs more time to be at its peak. A well-constructed, balanced, classy red still pretty much in primary mode. 14.0% A/V, perfect fill level and a good quality cork with the only wine staining found along its base. 92 points. If you have any, try one now, but do try to keep a couple back until 2020, if you can.

Some years back I tried an aged 1992 Jean-Marc Brocard 1er Cru Chablis (can't recall the vineyard) that was magnificent. Can't say I've opened another bottle from this mob that has even been close to matching it and although this wine is certainly "good", for what it is, a terribly disappointing result.

Marc Brocard Chablis Grand Cru "Les Preuses" 2004
July 18th, 2009

A worrying start - just too much light gold for a five year old Grand Cru Chablis. The nose has a mixture of (what might be) a touch of premox character in conjunction with chalky, hay and simple apple and peach scents. OK but somewhat bland and unexciting. The palate is a little better, no oxidation, with some attractive pear and apply fruit, reasonable acidity and quite a resolute, if somewhat simplistic, but quite reasonable finish. 80 points Give/serve to people you don't like.

Briar Ridge Karl Stockhausen Signature Release Semillon 1999
July 18th, 2009

Karl Stockhausen is somewhat of a legend in Hunter Valley wine lore. From a personal perspective, I've held the guy in high regard ever since I discovered he made some of the great Lindeman's Semillon's in the '60's, and in particular, the great Lindy's Sem's from 1970.

At a recent online sale I saw a case of this wine languishing for about 10 bucks a bottle and took a punt on the vintage but I wasn't so happy when the box finally arrived and Karl recommends, on the back label, cellaring of 4-6 years!

However, now with the first bottle opened, I cannot offer any complaint. The wine displays a very light, pale gold colour, still fresh aromatics of grass and lemon butter enhanced with complex toasty bottle development characters and a very fine, long linear palate with abundant natural acidity and garnishing terrific, bright lemon, hay, honeysuckle and nutty flavour. Moulded in the classic Hunter Valley low alcohol, unoaked style this wine might be entering its prime drinking window but I doubt if it will fall over anytime in the next several years. 91 points. Drink now - 2014+

And a final word about the 2005 Jacob's Creek Steingarten Riesling (90 points), I reported on in TORB's thread last weekend. Even after some 9 days sitting in its bottle in the fridge, this wine would not die and, if anything, improved over the period excepting the faintest hint of oxidation on the last day. My tasting note included "obviously built for the long haul, this excellent riesling revealed immense potential with a drinking window predicted between 2013 and 2020+. Please note - I rated this wine slightly higher last night and slightly higher again at release. Expect it to regain most of that ground in several years time." My drinking window could prove to be conservative and at its peak, my highest numerical rating over this extended period - 94 points. The terrific cellaring prospects pretty well confirmed!
Cheers,

David

griff

Post by griff »

2005 Adelina Shiraz
Cherries. Morello cherries. A touch of VA lift. Some cocoa. Its an elegant mid weight palate with a long lingering finish. A beautiful Clare shiraz. Excellent wine.

2008 Frogmore FGR Riesling
Very fresh. Stings a little on the nose. Strong spritz. Crisp verbena. Sherbet. Squeaky clean finish that is a touch bitter. Good but a little overdone in my mind. Good but needs more fruit to be a contender with the Germans.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

Pewsey Vale Contours Riesling 2001, awesome wine. Lemons, limes and crunchy pears wrapped in a soft toasty honey coating. Rounded acidity and goes on for ever. Just lovely.

Vina Albali Gran Reserva 2001, plenty of life left in this although showing some secondary development. Black and red cherries with a certain savoury leatheriness to it, fruit depth and blackness building as the night goes on. Touches of olives and dark chocolate too. Gorgeous wine, everything in place. Know the importer of this one well so usual pinches of salt.

Cheers

Dave

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

1996 Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon Cork came out very easily and was stained half way up with a line to near the top (but not quite). Translucent purple red colour. Juicy berry nose with slight pepper on the finish. Initially a little bit light on the palate and didn't deliver the nose as promised. Came up with a bit more time in the glass. Some honeyed sweet highlights with a plummy core. There was virtually no crust in this bottle which surprised me a bit. It as enjoyable enough but clearly on the decline. Drink up if you have any. No where near as good as the 98 Peter Lehmann the previous night. 89.

Got to find something masterchef final worthy for tonight's viewing.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Post by Matt »

What got me through the cricket last night? :(

Bowen Estate 1996 Cab Sav/Mer/Cab Fr.

Recently picked up 4 at auction and was pleasently suprised when, upon enquiring about the wine, bowen estate replied with "Funnily enough we are so impressed with how the 1996 Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc is drinking that the winemakers Emma and Doug have it open for the month of July for the Coonawarra Cellar Dweller month. (For the month of July all the wineries try to feature aged wines for tasting and limited sales through their Cellar Door). I have been fortunate enough to sit through a tasting of this wine with Emma Bowen and recognise the quality of the wine and what an ideal time it is for drinking. It has an elegant nose with a beautiful balanced mouth filling palate."

I concurred, it had a beautiful elegant nose. The palate is generous and mouth filling with complex berry flavours with subtle dry, dusty tannins.

And to further ease the pain of an impending defeat with some dark chocolate of course....
Donnelly River Port Karridale/Augusta WA.
Raisons, Caramel with a hint of burnt toffee. Under $20 - Its a beauty. :)

ross67

Post by ross67 »

Brothers in Arms Sixth Generation Reserve Shiraz 2003: Langhorne Creek 14.5%

Wow...quite a surprise packet. Spicy peppery dark berry aromas that certainly carry on through to the palette. Thick & full bodied with a v good length finish.
Structurally it seems excellent and should last a long time.

Glad to have received this from a client!!

ross

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

2005 Wine By Brad/Mantra "Abundance" Magaret River Cabernet Merlot.
Didn't make a note. Very nice, easy to drink C/M. Needs a decent decant as it only got better as the bottle drained away.........
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

monghead

Post by monghead »

2004 Cape Mentelle Shiraz

Deep, dark, brooding. Intensely flavoured with dark plums, berries, and spicy pepper, cinnamon, cloves. Lovely cedary and vanilla oak with an elegance that betrays its' nearly 15% a/v. If their standard shiraz is this good, I wonder how fantastic the Wallcliffe will be?

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

01 Taylors st andrews Cabernet

05 Katnook Cabernet

05 Taylors st Andrews Chardy

Katnook will go the distance for sure, rest were good

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

xsorxpire

Post by xsorxpire »

monghead wrote:2004 Cape Mentelle Shiraz

Deep, dark, brooding. Intensely flavoured with dark plums, berries, and spicy pepper, cinnamon, cloves. Lovely cedary and vanilla oak with an elegance that betrays its' nearly 15% a/v. If their standard shiraz is this good, I wonder how fantastic the Wallcliffe will be?

I have a couple of these. Should I be drinking them now or do think they will get better?

Tonight I cracked a 95 Richmond cabernet.
I let it decant for 45 mins before trying it.
It was nice.
But by an hour and fifteen it was heaven.
It was exceptionally mellow with very subtle tannins. It made feel a little sad that I am unable to describe to you the flavours. There was slight berry. The body was light and the wine finished with a sharp but not unpleasant finish. There was again a subtle but for me indescribable after taste.
I really need to do a wine course. I want to tell you more.

I am currently drinking a 2004 Foggo's Grenache.
A medium bodied wine with raspberry and cherry.
Subtle tannins and a dry(ish) finish.
Foggo's is one of my favorite McLaren Vale wineries.
He consistently produces wines I love and always has a place in my cellar.
Infact his 03 Grenache won some decent awards in England (if I remember correctly).

Cheers.
XS.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Just impressions of stuff that made them-

2007 Lake's Folly Chardonnay- Wow! My first Lake's folly was better than expected! And I expected lots. Old school retro, but better integration of everything than any chardonnay I've tasted. Lost for words, will have to buy a Cab some time.

2005 Carlei Tre Amici- shone with a delicious lasagne cooked to perfection by a friend. Damn Carlei is talented.

2008 Shaw + Smith Sav/Blanc- a little lees dumbed the wine down. Go the whole hog or nothin' at all for me. Acid got buried, fruit a bit sweet and finish short.

2008 Te Henga Sav/Blanc- who said I didn't like Malborough Sav/Blanc :) Beat the pants off the Shaw + Smith on the night for me. Restrained fruit, zippy, grass and herbs to the fore but not overwhelming. I really like this.

Black Noble- always love it, loved it again.

2005 Teusner Avatar- singing along nicely with time to get even better.

2007 Angoves Long Row Shiraz- sub $10 beauty. Just got betterer and betterer with time. Lovely tannins and fruit. I'm stocking up.

2008 Angoves Shiraz Viognier- Hmm, really like it out of the bottle, thought it would get better but a burnt sugar taste came along and slightly spoiled the party. Good for the price though.

2008 St Hallets Poacher Blend Sem/Sav- I really like this for lowish alcohol refreshment at a good price. Didn't taste like a Sem/Sav, might of picked it for a Reisling or Barossa Semillon out of the fridge or even a Sem/Chardonnay as it warmed up. Turns out it's mostly Semillon and along with Sav has a handy dose of Reisling. Nice blending
As always, IMVHO. And Cheers
jeremy- http://winewilleatitself.blogspot.com/

monghead

Post by monghead »

xsorxpire wrote:

I have a couple of these. Should I be drinking them now or do think they will get better?

Cheers.
XS.

Definitely keep them for another 5 years before opening.

Cheers.

malliemcg

Post by malliemcg »

2005 Bouchard Aine & Fils Grand vin de Bourgogne Nuits Saint Georges
- Bitterly disappointing - some raspberryness and mushroomy funk on opening, nose promptly went casper (disappeared like the friendly ghost) on us and the palate was boring as. (~120ish @ restaurant)

2008 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling
- This was an awesome drop, I am sure of this because my wife who until now had never enjoyed a white wine has ranked this on her list of "nice" wines we can drink anytime :roll: . Lime Zest, polished river stones, slight hint of sand dunes near sea after the rain and a finish that just lasts. It feels so good in the mouth (I think it was $68 at restaurant which seemed pretty good to me)

2006 Inniskillin Cabernet Franc Icewine (Canada, Ontario, Niagara Peninsula, Niagara Peninsula VQA)
- Not as in balance sweetness/acid as the sparkling we had earlier. However much complexity here - some tangerine, raisins, hints of apricot nectar/nectarine, dried peaches.

2006 Lerida Estate Merlot Cabernet Franc (Australia, New South Wales, Southern New South Wales, Canberra District)
- Ate with antipasto platter - unobtrusive tannins, excellent acid, spicyness and sour fruit - the perfect accompaniment with the cheeses, bread, meats, pickled/roasted/preserved fruit/vege.

2002 Penfolds Bin 389 (Australia, South Australia)
- This bottle was near perfect - enjoyment factor complete - pretty much what you'd expect from a 389 of this age - tertiary components not coming through, but the fruit, tannin and oak imparted characteristics in perfect balance - wife has now added 389 to St Henri and Grosset - I think I may need a pay rise (and to keep her away from Granges, RWT, HOG's etal).

1998 Perrier-Jouët Champagne Grand Brut (France, Champagne)
Clean, dry and delicious.

Glen

Post by Glen »

I opened a bottle of this on Wednesday night last week. We drank two thirds that night and the remainder the following night, and enjoyed it so much, just opened another bottle on Thursday after finishing the first.

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

2002 Penfolds Bin 389 (Australia, South Australia)
- This bottle was near perfect - enjoyment factor complete - pretty much what you'd expect from a 389 of this age - tertiary components not coming through, but the fruit, tannin and oak imparted characteristics in perfect balance

Interesting point.
I have a few bottles of this and tried one recently. Agree that balance was spot on, and it was certainly good, however couldn't help feel like i wasn't getting the best out of it, flavour seemed somewhat shackled.
It was decanted for 3 hours and improved for it. I hear about wines having 'dumb' phases etc, and figured maybe that was the case here.

Is that what you mean by 'tertiary components not coming through'?

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Glen wrote:

I opened a bottle of this on Wednesday night last week. We drank two thirds that night and the remainder the following night, and enjoyed it so much, just opened another bottle on Thursday after finishing the first.

Yeah this was my problem. Bought a heap to start with on release and found it so moorish couldn’t help drinking them. Think I have a mere two left to see it blossom.

Sam

monghead

Post by monghead »

malliemcg wrote:2008 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling
- This was an awesome drop, I am sure of this because my wife who until now had never enjoyed a white wine has ranked this on her list of "nice" wines we can drink anytime :roll: . Lime Zest, polished river stones, slight hint of sand dunes near sea after the rain and a finish that just lasts. It feels so good in the mouth (I think it was $68 at restaurant which seemed pretty good to me)

The 2008 rieslings are great aren't they? I'm a great fan of the Grosset Springvale/Watervale and the 2008 is a cracker too, at just over half the price...

malliemcg

Post by malliemcg »

monghead wrote:
malliemcg wrote:2008 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling

The 2008 rieslings are great aren't they? I'm a great fan of the Grosset Springvale/Watervale and the 2008 is a cracker too, at just over half the price...

Monghead: I will definitely be looking it up - I hope that at just over half the price of the Polish Hill that they pass the "wife" test ;). Although Rieslings are such a bargain - got to love 'unpopular' varieties. I've got to get me some of the re-labeled stuff some wineries are releasing same stuff as their default label, about 1/2 the price.

monghead

Post by monghead »

As promised...

2005 Tempus Two Zinfandel (pewter range)
A big, full, meaty wine with a chocolately finish. Not too bad.

2008 Clonakilla Riesling
Delightfully refreshing and sang of lemons and zest.

1989 M Chapoutier la Sizeranne
Wow, the nose on this puppy.....
Complex aromas of olives, ripe blood plums and candied cherries waft in and out, interlaced with truffles, forest floor, old leather, and hints of gorgonzola. Colour was still a dark purple with the slightest bricking around the edges. This was the clue that this wine was by no means "old". Belieing it's 20 years of age, the palate sang of dark ripe fruits, and savoury smoky meats. Sensational length and mouthfeel, the fine tannins was perfectly integrated.

Much less developed than the 1991 had a couple years ago in Perth...

Cheers,

Monghead.

griff

Post by griff »

monghead wrote:1989 M Chapoutier la Sizeranne
Wow, the nose on this puppy.....
Complex aromas of olives, ripe blood plums and candied cherries waft in and out, interlaced with truffles, forest floor, old leather, and hints of gorgonzola. Colour was still a dark purple with the slightest bricking around the edges. This was the clue that this wine was by no means "old". Belieing it's 20 years of age, the palate sang of dark ripe fruits, and savoury smoky meats. Sensational length and mouthfeel, the fine tannins was perfectly integrated.

Much less developed than the 1991 had a couple years ago in Perth...

Cheers,

Monghead.

Nice one! 1989 was a top year for Hermitage and sounds like this kept up the reputation :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

2005 Greenock Creek Alice Shiraz - talk about late harvest, 17% alcohol doesn't endear to designated drivers, pretty chewy and probably not meant for consumption anytime soon, not bad (better than the Apricot Block IMO) but definitely needs food.

2007 Samuels Gorge Shiraz - hard to find but worth the wait, felt like the most balanced approachable wine ever made after the drinking the GC. Dark fruits on the nose and palate, bit of choc and lick of cherries, silky tannins.
Its one of the most moreish shiraz i've tried in ages.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Monghead wrote

A Tempus Two red that doesn't suck. Wow! :) Hate "money in the lap" as Tim Freedman referred to it. I'm obvioulsy jealous, but wine bloodlines are as pleasing as they are frustrating IMHO. Nicely constructed Cellar Door, maybe some of that money could have gone into the grapes?

monghead

Post by monghead »

jeremy wrote:Monghead wrote

A Tempus Two red that doesn't suck. Wow! :) Hate "money in the lap" as Tim Freedman referred to it. I'm obvioulsy jealous, but wine bloodlines are as pleasing as they are frustrating IMHO. Nicely constructed Cellar Door, maybe some of that money could have gone into the grapes?

Yes, I was surprised by this too, but you know, have to pay credit to where credit is due...

Cheers,

Monghead.

jeremy

Post by jeremy »

Monghead wrote
jeremy wrote:
Monghead wrote
Quote:

A Tempus Two red that doesn't suck. Wow! Hate "money in the lap" as Tim Freedman referred to it. I'm obvioulsy jealous, but wine bloodlines are as pleasing as they are frustrating IMHO. Nicely constructed Cellar Door, maybe some of that money could have gone into the grapes?

Yes, I was surprised by this too, but you know, have to pay credit to where credit is due...

Cheers,

Monghead.

Absolutely! Even if I have to do it grudgingly :D

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

2005 Penfolds Cellar Reserve Cabernet Shiraz - the third bottle in recent times. I just can't seem to keep my hands off them. This is an absolute belter after an 8 hour decant. So aromatic, pristine fruit on the palate and great length. This is in the same postcode as the 2004 Bin 60a for mine & will be drinking magnificently in 2025+.

1999 Clos des Goisses - one of my favourite champagnes and up there for the best of the vintage. Very different to the 99 Dom Perignon and Cristal, but equally enjoyable. Will hit its' straps circa 2020.

Mike

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Brief impressions of an instore tasting of St Hallett, presented by Stuart Blackwell:

2008 St Hallett Barossa Riesling (screwcap): It’s ‘Barossa’ on the front label, but actually 100% Eden Valley. There’s already some toast, but it’s still all beautifully balanced, the apple fruit, the acid, the spiciness and the length. Stuart said it took out a trophy recently at Los Angeles – easy to see on this form, but I also think it’s a quick drinker.

2008 St Hallett Poachers Blend Semillon Sauvignon Blanc (screwcap): Pretty simple, fruity and short, with just a touch of rubber lurking in the background - unimpressive.

2004 St Hallett Barossa Semillon (screwcap): Deep yellow colour and nuttiness showing development (as well as some very minor oak influence) – very nice drinking while the lemony fruit is still there, but it’s starting to dry out on the finish. Drink up.

2008 St Hallett Gamekeepers Reserve Shiraz Grenache (screwcap): Raisiny, very ripe and porty – I had a double take to see it was Shiraz-dominant, as it was lightweight, sweet and seemingly alcoholic (despite having 13.5% on the label). Disappointing.

2007 St Hallett GST (screwcap): Darker, inky and jubey, with a sweetness on the nose that this time wasn’t out of place; the palate’s drier, and very well balanced. I really liked this, and thought it would be a good match for a meaty winter stew.

2007 St Hallett Faith Shiraz (screwcap): Good colour, but there’s something wrong here – it reeks of nail polish remover (EA), and looks volatile, over-extracted and short. Disappointing.

2006 St Hallett Eden Valley Shiraz (screwcap): A special parcel of fruit worthy of a separate bottling. It’s certainly regional, with minty/eucalypt and pepper on the nose, a leaner palate with minty fruit and bright acid on the finish. A nice wine and well priced at under $35 on the day.

2007 St Hallett Blackwell Shiraz (screwcap): Like the Faith, this reeks of nail polish remover (EA) but with the added dimension of sweet coconut/vanilla. Another disappointment.

2006 St Hallett Old Block Shiraz (cork): Lovely, spicy nose, full of smoky/French vanilla, plums, star anise and other mixed spices; the entry to the palate’s very nice too, perfectly ripe fruit backed by sympathetic oak, but the tannins become prominent at the end and it finishes rather bitter. The bouquet’s a winner, but the palate falls over at the last hurdle…

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.