Rolf Binder 2006 Heysen.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Muscat Mike

Rolf Binder 2006 Heysen.

Post by Muscat Mike »

Has anyone tried this lately? I have had some offered to me at a ridiculously low price and was wondering how it is going. Ready to drink, in the window or OTH?
TIA,
Mike.

Muscat Mike

Re: Rolf Binder 2006 Heysen.

Post by Muscat Mike »

Well I went ahead and bought some and all I can say is WOW. It took time to open up but when it did the wine was bloody fabulous. Dark, inky purple and smooth as a baby's bottom. Has not yet reached its peak and will last another 8-10 years.
For the price I paid, my bargain not of the year but of the century, so far.
Very highly recommended

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

OK so where do you get it?
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

TN from Feb 2011. Served blind by an Aussie mate who getting his own back before returning to Oz after 13 years.
Blood red, signs of age at rim; exhuberant, touch of mint; blackcurrant, warm fruit, ripe tannins, a certain elegance, polished. Rather rigid finish, very long. Unsure what this was but proclaimed ' not from the Barossa'. (Tried & loved other vintages in the past ). Later opened up & typical Heysen, once label revealed..... 17+. Went out & purhased a handful.

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Luke W wrote:OK so where do you get it?

Luke ring Julie at Rolf Binder wines - 08 8562 3300.
Mike.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Thanks Mike

Just ordered 4 doz - hope they're as good as you describe (Julie's only got a dozen cartons left),

cheers

Luke
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Thanks from me too, Mike! I grabbed 5 cases (only one for me - am sharing the love with some good friends) :)

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Yes, thanks for the heads up Mike. Grabbed a case each for myself and a friend. I quite enjoy the Rolf Binder wines and have been to the cellar door a few times.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

Arrived in about 3 days and I stood it up in the cellar for 4 more. Opened last night, aerated and decanted. Bloody glorious, seriously good wine. Was going to distribute some to my mates but now they'll be lucky to share a bottle or two! You're right, one of the bargains of the century.

Thanks Mike

Luke
Peynaud

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Awesome score, I'm a huge fan of the 2006 Heysen (have a couple of bottles bought at full price) so I can't believe I missed it. Are you able to give away how much it was a bottle (just to make me feel even worse)?

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

How much is it?
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

I just rang Julie. Bargain!

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

God I just assumed it would have sold out based upon comments above. Had to try hard to restrict myself to 2 cases.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

I like Rolfs wines. I have had many a bottle of Bulls blood,1914, Hanisch, and Magpie Estate Election shiraz.
I bought 2 doz. Then thought about it, and ordered another 2. Hard to go wrong.

grey

Post by grey »

I just ordered the last 2 cases, Julie was a sweetheart.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

grey wrote:I just ordered the last 2 cases, Julie was a sweetheart.

Gavin, I hope you got a good commission on these sales. I gather so, as the thread wasn't pulled!
If not, you're very tolerant.

odyssey

Post by odyssey »

Whilst Gavin is fairly tolerant you can hardly define a cellar door supplier as being a direct competitor for his target online market, combined with the fact that the wine in question (Heysen) is made only for sale in the European/American market or at their cellar door.

And there is precedence in the exact same situation (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10607&start=0&hilit=seppeltsfield)

If you banned that you'd probably also start banning conversation about buying Basket Press cheap from Stonewallers mailing list (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7336) or Wendouree (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12048&start=0).

raymond

Post by raymond »

Cheers for posting this great bargain. Scored two cases .

Opened the first bottle last night after a few days laying down after transit. Shared with a few friends at a dinner party. To say that this blew the other wines away is an understatement (including a penfolds RWT - 2006).

Indeed bargain of the year.

PS. My first post on the forum , and what great timing to stumble across this thread. Thanks again and see you round the forum. !!

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Rolf has some 2007 available at the same price.

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

I am glad that those who took my advice and bought this wine found it worthwhile. I did not give the price because this is Gavin's forum. As they are now all sold I can let you, who did not buy, know the bargain price. $200 per case of 12. Works out to about $16.66 per beautiful bottle of wine, plus shipping.
Mike.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all great drinking over the holiday period.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Thanks for the tip Mike.
cheers

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

odyssey wrote:Whilst Gavin is fairly tolerant you can hardly define a cellar door supplier as being a direct competitor for his target online market, combined with the fact that the wine in question (Heysen) is made only for sale in the European/American market or at their cellar door.

And there is precedence in the exact same situation (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10607&start=0&hilit=seppeltsfield)

If you banned that you'd probably also start banning conversation about buying Basket Press cheap from Stonewallers mailing list (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7336) or Wendouree (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12048&start=0).

Since it's been brought up, it's probably worth adding that in the case of the Seppeltsfield thread I PM'd Bert over at the other place in advance to make sure it was okay to start it (after being asked by Steve if I could spread the word over there), and I'm pretty sure Steve would have done the exact same here.

When in doubt ask Gavin or RB in advance of posting something like this to avoid being labelled a spammer (regardless of whether Gavin is selling the particular wine in question or not). While it's worth noting in cases like this he usually makes exceptions for wineries/cellar doors, it doesn't hurt to send a PM and wait a little bit for the okay.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Decanted for 2 hours and drank over another 3 hours. Not at all like I expected. I thought this would be a fruit bomb. Being made for the American market and aimed at a certain critic, no doubt. I would never have picked it as a Barossa Shiraz. It is smooth, the fruit is not bombarding the palate and the oak is meshed extremely well with the fine tannins. Also a hint of acidity. Opened up really well the longer it stayed in the glass. It remimded me of some of the Victorian Shiraz's I have been drinking. Really nice and should age for at least another 5 years. 4/5

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all on here and their families.
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?