Capel Vale Petit Verdot 2008

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Capel Vale Petit Verdot 2008

Post by Waiters Friend »

I had the pleasure of visiting Capel Vale's cellar door today, including for lunch. The delightful Rebecca heads up the tastings and restaurant team, and the service was very good indeed.

CV makes 3-4 different ranges of wine. Their Debut range is their entry level; however, for the focus of this visit (and I had the car keys), I focussed on the Regional range. This includes very creditable Pemberton chardonnay, Margaret River cabernet (and a cab merlot) and Mt Barker shiraz.

However, a different wine again has caught my attention today - the 'cellar exclusive' Geographe Petit Verdot. I've had a few of these (they're a relatively rare beast) with the Hay Shed Hill standing out in my memory (and sleeping peacefully in the cellar). This will join them.

Purple with a crimson rim, rich plummy fruit with chewy/dusty tannins and a slight acid zing. A hint of brandy or christmas cake and a full, long finish. I bought a six pack without hesitation.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

orpheus

Re: Capel Vale Petit Verdot 2008

Post by orpheus »

Yes, I tasted a barrel-sample of petit-verdot on Waiheke in NZ last year. It was destined to be part of a Bordeaux blend, but I thought it was pretty interesting on its own; excellent, vibrant colour, lively fruit.