Recommend a rose made from Grenache

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
milky

Recommend a rose made from Grenache

Post by milky »

Hi,

This Friday is International Grenache Day (http://grenacheday.wordpress.com/), and a group of us here in Singapore are having a Chinese dinner with a few bottles of grenache / grenache-dominant wines.

I'm thinking of starting with a Grenache rose - any recommendations?
Would like a fruity but not "jubey" style.
Feel free to recommend from all parts of the world, might be able to source from so many different bottle shops here.

Cheers.
Raymond
Gosh... all this talk is making me thirsty!

TiggerK

Re: Recommend a rose made from Grenache

Post by TiggerK »

Charles Melton Rose of Virginia is quite good......

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Turkey Flat (Grenache Dominant)

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

TiggerK wrote:Charles Melton Rose of Virginia is quite good......

I second that, its the best rose in Australia.

Mahmoud.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I'll second the above posters. Charles Melton's "Rose of Virginia" and Turkey Flat's Rose are the 2 best Rose's that I have had. Rose of Virginia is quite a dry style and Turkey Flat's is just a tad sweeter, but still dryer than most. Both are fabulous on a hot day!!
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

burgster

Post by burgster »

S. Pannell Rose, stunning.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Oh dear. Apart from the two prominent Barossa examples already quoted, I can think of many reasons (and Australian wines) why rose~ should not be made from Grenache.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Waiters Friend wrote:Oh dear. Apart from the two prominent Barossa examples already quoted, I can think of many reasons (and Australian wines) why rose~ should not be made from Grenache.

Obviously not a Grenache lover I assume.....and with International Grenache Day coming up!
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

milky

Post by milky »

Yes, I was thinking of 'Rose of Virginia' & Turkey Flat's rose too.
Was just wondering if there were other choices. Both the above & SC Pannell's rose can be found in bottle shops here.

Waiters Friend - I actually like Cabernet-based rose more than Grenache-based ones, but rose these days tend to be blends, aren't they? ...so as to get a specific profile. The good thing is, rose wine-making is now not just an after-thought of "hmm... what shall we do with these excess grapes?"

I reckon a 'Rose of Virginia' to start the proceedings would be great!
Especially when Mr Melton will have another rep in the line-up (06 Nine Popes)... :)

Cheers!

burgster

Post by burgster »

If, as you say, you can get the Pannell over there I would give it a go; do a comparison and report back.

milky

Post by milky »

Can't find a Pannell.... both Turkey Flat Rose & 'Rose of Virginia' are avail at my fav bottle shop.
But, the sad thing is both are not current or last vintages... it's 2009!
Oh well, just buy one and hopefully still fresh...

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

Cirillo has a rose made from grenache grapes .................Pretty dry on the palate so not your usual rose.........

Regards dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

milky wrote:Can't find a Pannell.... both Turkey Flat Rose & 'Rose of Virginia' are avail at my fav bottle shop.
But, the sad thing is both are not current or last vintages... it's 2009!
Oh well, just buy one and hopefully still fresh...

I wouldn't worry about Melton's Rose of Virginia being a 2009, assuming that Melton still makes the wine in the same way (and I don't see why not given it's success over the years). I've had the 1998 Rose of Virginia a decade old and it was fine. Of course it didn't have the fruitiness of a young rose but it was a fine bottle, full of complexity and interest.

Edit: Brilliant wine!

Mahmoud.

milky

Post by milky »

The 2009 'Rose of Virginia' is definitely a fine wine!
Although lost it's freshness, it's still enjoyable. A good one to whet the appetite.
Perhaps needs a few more years bottle age for additional complexity & interest?

Notes in the Grenache Day thread...

daz

Post by daz »

Not a big fan of rose, never tried the RoV but have enjoyed the Turkey flat in the past and at least the first vintage of this that I rather enjoyed too:
http://www.teusner.com.au/sales.php?crn ... how_detail

underwraps50

Post by underwraps50 »

I've always considered myself a HUGE fan of Rose, but on reflection, I probably prefer a particular style similar to the Mateus 'model'. I particularly dislike very dry Rose without much fruit, and alternately, the dark coloured very intensely fruity syrupy styles without a good acid balance. I used to enjoy the McWilliams 2 litre flagon Rose with its lovely pale dusty pink colour and slightly sweet but balanced palate, which my wife and I quaffed in great quantities in summer. The other favourite that I remember from the '70s was a Touriga Rose made by (maybe) Wyndham Estate. I received this and another lovely Rose through the Hunter Valley Wine Society. I have trouble finding these styles these days, most of the pale coloured ones are too dry.
"Life's too short to drink bad wine"