Adelaide Offline - 14 April at Cos - Langtons Theme - $69

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
George Krashos

Re: Adelaide Offline - 14 April at Cos - Langtons Theme - $6

Post by George Krashos »

Never had a Tahbilk 1860 so that would be my preference although I note that the 1994 Popes, even out of magnum, is probably drinking in its peak period.

-- George Krashos

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Wouldn't you know it that I'm now back in Adelaide in time for this, but too late to find a wine and RSVP! Just my luck.

Have a great night everyone - hope you all have a good one!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

PaulG wrote:Wouldn't you know it that I'm now back in Adelaide in time for this, but too late to find a wine and RSVP! Just my luck.

Have a great night everyone - hope you all have a good one!

With the couple of recent dropouts I think there would be room for you and Jas - as for the wine, it should be easy for you to pick up a Grosset Polish Hill on the way in (there's no vintage requirement for whites, so a current release would be fine).

I guess the major thing would be that the menu is okay as it's really too late to be asking for changes/seperate dishes (specifically the salmon caparccio & oxtail terrine, the steak & cheese should be non-issues).

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Have fun all

and

take pictures, and post details!

Pretty good lineup of wines I think!

regards

Gavin Trott

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Well, um, how did it go?

How were the wines, the venue?? Did Sparky behave?

Cummon, share with those of us who missed out!

regards

Gavin Trott

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Heads so sore that not one can approach a keyboard before 11pm the following day !!
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

Steve

Post by Steve »

rooview wrote:Gavin, did you not see the news story about the fire on Leigh St? It's best if nobody asks anymore questions.

I only just got bailed out of the klink.

Until the whole fire and subsequent being arrested thing, it was a great night and there were some great wines... :D

sparky

Post by sparky »

See, if you'd all been as smart as Chuck and agreed with me that the Wynns 82 Cabernet has some gloriously developed and vibrant Fruit and was still WOTN despite being corked, none of that would have happened. Ian would have recovered from the shame of providing a less than perfect wine and wouldn't have had to drown his sorrows with those 91 & 98 Wendourees, which as you know is a fate I wouldn't wish on anyone unless they have a thing about mothballs.

Probably my fault for starting proceedings with the '96 Cuvee Vic as it was inevitably going to go downhill from there and I do apologize for the 06 St Huberts Chardonnay which had the temerity of standing up quite well to the magnificently big boned 06 LEAS.

Someone else has better explain the episode over the reds and I warned you all along that VP was a dangerous idea let alone a 44 Para. What was Seven thinking??
Last edited by sparky on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Some great wines were on show. Picking a WOTN was impossible for me as they were all good in their own way. Only one faulty wine which was good. The 1982 Wynns Black Label Cabernet (magnum) was mildy corked at the start but got worse as the night went on; rank at the end. Early when the taint was negligible it was just supurb with lovely fresh fruit. 11.5% alcohol indicative of the style then. Looking through the taint it could easily have been on the short list of WOTN. Sparky was in agreement. A number of first time wines for me didn't dissappoint including the Mount Mary Quintet, Jack Mann, and LEAS Chardy. The 99 Parker 1st growth is still a pup although we really didn't give it any air time. The cork was ripped off as soon as it made it's belated entrance. I think it would have been better if given a few hours breathing. The '85 Tahbilk Shiraz was good although a little tired. The shirazes were OK but I'm biased to Cabs and blends.

Food and service was good and the conversation stimulating however the last half hour was a blur. Note to self - pace yourself at these nights. Whilst the wines are great don't over indulge. My knocking over the privacy screen was a tad embarrassing although I don't recall how I could possibly have done it.

Fire...what fire? It wasn't me I hope even though I'm a bit of a pyro at heart.

A bit of a fragile head yesterday so taking the day off was a good move.

Ian, we (well, at least I do) need your tasting notes to remind us of how great they were.

Carl
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

The Mount Mary was my highlight, I think, although I also had a soft spot for the Tahbilk which was in pretty fair form for a 1985. Good night in all, the wines came thick and fast and with the exception of the contentious 1982 Wynns, didn't disappoint!
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

thanks to Mark for organising a most entertaining evening. must do it again. i did leave early and i did expectorate all night so i missed the late night antics, maybe just as well.
there was some good thought by all in bringing together a diverse grouping of wines, most of which had a vote or two as to their favourites.
In saying that I must comment on the 1982 Wynns, if it had been served blind it would have been canned and left alone, but as some very learned palates have said many times, " there are no great wines, just great bottles" (or something to that effect) this one underwhelmed on the night, and I think its reputation may have clouded some opinions.
I thank Ian for bringing it along, and early it was not totally offensive.
Ian, we will probably share some good, and dodgy, bottles of this one in the future.

cheers
phill
Drink the wine, not the label.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

crusty2 wrote:thanks to Mark for organising a most entertaining evening. must do it again. i did leave early and i did expectorate all night so i missed the late night antics, maybe just as well.
there was some good thought by all in bringing together a diverse grouping of wines, most of which had a vote or two as to their favourites.
In saying that I must comment on the 1982 Wynns, if it had been served blind it would have been canned and left alone, but as some very learned palates have said many times, " there are no great wines, just great bottles" (or something to that effect) this one underwhelmed on the night, and I think its reputation may have clouded some opinions.
I thank Ian for bringing it along, and early it was not totally offensive.
Ian, we will probably share some good, and dodgy, bottles of this one in the future.

cheers
phill

I only drink wine and not labels. In fact the Wynns BL has generally underwhelmed me except over the past few years. So if anything the label would have been a negative to start with. Like with Sparky it was right in the zone for me early in the night. horrible at the end. Why I tried to stuff the magnum with the remaining wine into my carry bag at night's end is beyond me.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

My thanks Mark for arranging this one, and everyone who went. Food was good, service was okay, but then I should give them some extra credit for not reacting to Chuck trying to destroy the privacy screen. :wink:

Moira was on to something about not touching those VPs at the end of the night - my head was banging at work on Friday. Still worth it though. :oops:

It was a night for the Vics, with the Mount Mary & Tabilk the standout wines for me along followed by the 1991 Wendouree, ageless 1996 Tyrrell's Vat 1 and the fortifieds.

Damn shame about the Wynn's - coulda been a contender, but the cork taint killed it for me. I don't know why some of you sickos were going back to it at the end of the night - if I hadn't grabbed it there would have been nothing to send back! That's three out of four bottles I've tried of these recorked and refilled '82 Wynns magnums that have been corked (after recovering the cork it is stamped one of theirs so it was definitely a Wynn's reissue) - that's a pretty good warning to anyone who has one or who sees them at auction. I rang up Treasury Friday morning who were sending out a courier to collect it - they hadn't showed up so I guess it will be collected Monday, and it will be interesting to see if they can still pick up the TCA after the bottle has been open four or so days. :?

Things have been hectic, but I should get around to typing up some TN's (possibly today). Thanks again folks.

Cheers,
Ian

Ps. Did anyone take any photos - I sure hope not. :wink: :lol:
Last edited by n4sir on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve

Post by Steve »

All this talk of sore heads... I must have been doing it wrong. I woke up at 7, feeling great :D :D :P

Mark Jappe

Post by Mark Jappe »

Steve wrote:All this talk of sore heads... I must have been doing it wrong. I woke up at 7, feeling great :D :D :P

If only you had woken up feeling your pilates instructor!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Steve wrote:
rooview wrote:Gavin, did you not see the news story about the fire on Leigh St? It's best if nobody asks anymore questions.

I only just got bailed out of the klink.

Until the whole fire and subsequent being arrested thing, it was a great night and there were some great wines... :D

Mark Jappe wrote:
Steve wrote:All this talk of sore heads... I must have been doing it wrong. I woke up at 7, feeling great :D :D :P

If only you had woken up feeling your pilates instructor!

I reckon you must have stolen Chuck's drugs that stop him from getting hangovers too, which would explain why he got one and you didn't the next morning. Who's been a naughty boy? :wink: :lol:

Cheers,
Ian

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Come on Ian. Tasting notes please so I can recall what was enjoyed.

Also a big thank you to Mark for organising such a great night with an excellent theme. No more please until the liver recovers. It was an indulgent weekend with some more great wines and food so it's just a cleansing ale tonight; James Squires The Chancer - not too shabby.

Carl

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Chuck wrote:Come on Ian. Tasting notes please so I can recall what was enjoyed.

I posted them Sunday night in a new thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11955