2005 Amon Ra

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rick Morcom

2005 Amon Ra

Post by Rick Morcom »

Just had one of these. $70 wine, what a joke. Fruit bomb, no complexity, really ordinary. Problem is II have 5 to go.

daz

Re: 2005 Amon Ra

Post by daz »

Never tried any Amon Ra myself but be prepared for some flak. The Turkey Flat 2000 I had a week ago would probably been more to your expectations at near half the cost.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I reckon these styled wines are best drunk relatively young. Ive tried this wine once about 3 or 4 years ago and found it very good. not sure though they are brilliant to cellar.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

I read a review that the 05 of this was pretty ordinary, a year or so ago. I opened one from the dozen I had, and agreed, and it has long gone to Langtons. The 05 Godolphin is really good.
Other vintages of Amon Ra are good.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

The 2005 Amon Ra was served to me almost two years ago and although it was enjoyable for it's overt style I thought it was just didn't have the structure to improve. I didn't see what the fuss was about but I suppose the high scores and inflated prices only serves to fool the market.

Cheers.................Mahmoud.

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Any news on 06?

Sam

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

I wouldn't disagree as I had mixed experience with the 2005. Lacked structure and a bit hot ... very slippery in its youth though.

However I am cellaring the 2002 (McLaren), 2003 and 2004 wines. All look very good-excellent, and the 2006 was one of my top two shirazes at a large tasting in London.

btw If anyone has some 2002 (Barossa) they'd like to get rid of (or more likely swap for some 2003) PM me as I'd like to do a vertical of these four wines in a few years to see how they are going.
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

burgster

Post by burgster »

Just checked and my amon ra is an 04, so hopefully still ok.

I also have an 04 Mitolo Savitar. Anyone have any experience of that?

In case anyone is interested, I had a 1989 Armagh recently. I thought it was getting very tired, but one person loved it, so who knows.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Brucer wrote:I read a review that the 05 of this was pretty ordinary, a year or so ago. I opened one from the dozen I had, and agreed, and it has long gone to Langtons. The 05 Godolphin is really good.

Interesting discussion. I had thought Amon Ra and Godolphin were the same thing with Amon Ra being a name change for Godolphin in vintages post 2005. I am interested as I have some of the 05 Godolphin tucked away.

monghead

Post by monghead »

rooman wrote:
Brucer wrote:I read a review that the 05 of this was pretty ordinary, a year or so ago. I opened one from the dozen I had, and agreed, and it has long gone to Langtons. The 05 Godolphin is really good.

Interesting discussion. I had thought Amon Ra and Godolphin were the same thing with Amon Ra being a name change for Godolphin in vintages post 2005. I am interested as I have some of the 05 Godolphin tucked away.

I think the Amon Ra has always been the Amon Ra, but the Anaperenna used to be the Godolphin.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

btw If anyone has some 2002 (Barossa) they'd like to get rid of (or more likely swap for some 2003) PM me as I'd like to do a vertical of these four wines in a few years to see how they are going.

You can still buy it in NZ. PM me if you require

Ta

rooman

Post by rooman »

monghead wrote:
rooman wrote:

I think the Amon Ra has always been the Amon Ra, but the Anaperenna used to be the Godolphin.

Cheers,

Monghead.

Mong

Thank you for that. I knew there was a name change somewhere along the line thou why one would change one obscure name for another equally obscure name defeats me.

Mark

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

[/quote]
Mong

Thank you for that. I knew there was a name change somewhere along the line thou why one would change one obscure name for another equally obscure name defeats me.

Mark[/quote]

Trademark violation...

burgster

Post by burgster »

Mike is right. Problems with the name Godolphin in America from memory.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Sold my 05 Amon Ras a year or so back. Glad i did.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

[quote="burgster"]Just checked and my amon ra is an 04, so hopefully still ok.

I also have an 04 Mitolo Savitar. Anyone have any experience of that?

04 Mitolo Savitar has some severe cork problems. In the end I had to return all I had to the winery for replacement with another vintage. They were very good about it.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I bought a few 04 Mitolos at auction awhile back, including the Savitar and thought it was pretty tidy. That said, I paid about $20-25 a bottle for it, not RRP.

I even enjoyed the 04 Serpico which I understood to be a fairly polarizing wine.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

The 04 Mitolos that were not corked were very good.
I also like the Serpico cabernet, which is amarone.
B

dingozegan

Post by dingozegan »

Rick Morcom wrote:70 wine, what a joke. Fruit bomb, no complexity, really ordinary.

If not specifically a vintage thing, perhaps a style thing? Ben Glaetzer's wines (Glaetzer, Heartland, Mitolo) tend toward the big fruited and arguably less complex or ageworthy anyway (unless you happen to find lots of big fruit and oak complex or atypically exciting :wink:).

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I spoke to the person who served me the 2005 Amon Ra. She had cellared a few bottles and now regrets it and would be willing to sell it if she could. I forgot to ask if she still subscribes to the Wine Advocate, if indeed that is where the "advice" came from.

Cheers.......................Mahmoud.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

burgster wrote:Mike is right. Problems with the name Godolphin in America from memory.

The godolphin name is the name of an extremely large and extremely rich racing syndicate in the middle east. Some of their horses have won the Melbourne Cup even. It was these guys that forced the name change.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)