Advice: favourite savory &/or cool climate shiraz

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Softie

Advice: favourite savory &/or cool climate shiraz

Post by Softie »

Hi All,

Could I have some tips please?

Sth Aust wines predominate among the shiraz in my cellar. I'd like to diversify my cellar and nominate target wines for tasting nights. Would you mind helping me by nominating some quality Shiraz (or Shiraz blends) that fit the above specs of savoury/cool climate/subtle? (eg Shiraz from some areas of WA and Vic.)

What are some quality, subtle Shiraz/blends (assuming average to better vintages) that you like to drink? Say in ranges $25-$50 and above $50.

Regards,
John

Gavin Trott

Re: Advice: favourite savory &/or cool climate shiraz

Post by Gavin Trott »

Softie wrote:Hi All,

Could I have some tips please?

Sth Aust wines predominate among the shiraz in my cellar. I'd like to diversify my cellar and nominate target wines for tasting nights. Would you mind helping me by nominating some quality Shiraz (or Shiraz blends) that fit the above specs of savoury/cool climate/subtle? (eg Shiraz from some areas of WA and Vic.)

What are some quality, subtle Shiraz/blends (assuming average to better vintages) that you like to drink? Say in ranges $25-$50 and above $50.

Regards,
John

Beware of bias, cause I sell/sold these but :roll:

the Jamsheed Syrahs - there were/are three of them

Garden Gully (great Western region, of course), Gruyere (Yarra Valley) and Silvan (Yarra Valley also)

Stunning cool climate wines, great wine making, and each reflecting their own region area.

Of course, there are many others, but these jumped out for me!

regards

Gavin Trott

sparky

Post by sparky »

I'm kinda in a similar bias boat to Gavin, but from the funship cellars I'd be heading for some Seppelt, particularly the Vineyard range (St Peters, Benno or Mt Ida). Take your pick or try the lot.

Hot tip from Cellar Door this arvo was the Coldstream Hills Reserve Shiraz. Cheers, Moira

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Softie, you going to be there on Saturday? I'm bringing a nice cool climate Shiraz which might fit the bill.

Mandingo

Post by Mandingo »

Value for money would be the 07 Cape Mentelle shiraz - love this wine! Clonakilla produces some good mid range wines - the O'Riada is a good wine and the Hilltops provides some pretty classy cool climate characters for the price. The deBertoli Reserve Syrah can be pretty nice - and if you want to go central victoria, Summerfield and Dalwhinnie are pretty good examples. I loved the 07 Langi shiraz when I tried it recently but the price has spiked alarmingly!

Softie

Post by Softie »

Dave,

No won't be there Sat. The slave driver has me doing other things.

John

Sean O'Sullivan

Post by Sean O'Sullivan »

deleted
Last edited by Sean O'Sullivan on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Softie

Post by Softie »

Ta Sean,

I've only had small quantities of the following. I guess as wine has gone from an interest to a passion only in last four years or so, the main stay was Sth Aussie big names whilst I have developed my experience and confidence in knowing my palate and the diversity of premium wines.

Best's Bin 0 (great reminder: I love this wine)
Seppelt St Peters
Clonakilla SV and Hilltops Shiraz
Henschke Mount Edelstone (only one bottle maybe, but I really liked it)
Barwang Shiraz (have to revisit this, as the general popularity of this wine is impressive given its price point)
Dalwhinnie Shiraz (Pyrenees) - one bottle only
Penfolds Bin 128 (Coonawarra) - we seem to prefer Bin 28.

Thanks for your full list. Very useful.

John

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

I highly recommend Canobolas Smith from Orange. Very savoury and real cool climate Shiraz.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Hi John,

I was thinking...

- Clonakillas
- Castagna Genesis
- Seppelt St Peters and Chalambar
- Dalwhinnie Moonambel
- Cape Mentelle Shiraz and Walcliffe Shiraz
- Mitchelton Print
- Giaconda Warner

Cheers,

Monghead.

TiggerK

Post by TiggerK »

Another vote for the Cape Mentelle Shiraz, the 2004 is a ripper, haven't tried the 07 yet, but must do so. Voyager can also be great, must try some more of those lists, thanks monghead and Sean.
And of course don't forget NZ. In good years (e.g 07), can be wonderful...

Pity you can't make Sat.. got some nice cool climates so far (Aus, NZ and French.)

Cheers
Tim

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Bannockburn shiraz is another one.

Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Shaw and Smith is a cracker
as is DeBortoli's Estate Shiraz Viognier
Penfolds Bin 128 is good example of a big company take on what cool(er) climate shiraz should taste like, and ticks all the berry, leather, pepper and perfume boxes.
(so you don't need to leave South Australia to get cool climate wines if you really dont want to :) )

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Mount Langi Ghiran?

The current release Langi is supposed to be a good vintage, and the Billi Billi is fantastic at sub-$20.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Hey John
I’m also a big fan of Dalwhinnie, however here’s a couple of personal favourites from Canberra region to consider:

2008 Nick O Leary Shiraz - $27….has become my ‘go-to’ wine when I cant decide

2008 Collector Reserve Shiraz - $47, awesome wine and a multiple trophy winner (if you need a hand finding this let me know).
Collector also do a cheaper shiraz ($28), but I found the 08s a touch sweet for me.

Agree with the comment regarding price spike on the Mount Langhi Ghirans, it is good stuff though and if you’re prepared to brave auctions you can find well regarded back vintages offer excellent QPR.

Cheers
Michael

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

Picardy is another goodie - usually good young but even better at 8-10 years old, based on a recent vertical back to 1999.

Cheers

Dave

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

A massive wow factor and still travelling magnificently is the 1991 Seppelt Great Western Shiraz. Had two bottles at different stages (last about two years ago) and it is still amongst my biggest ever surprise wine packets I’ve experienced. It was strangely youthful but still packed a big punch in terms of overall quality. Extremely light in colour too. It is a brilliant cool climate Shiraz expression. Would grab them in an instant if I saw any.

Sam

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Hey Softie,

Think of all the cool growing regions and then go for them.

You've had plenty of suggestions of Seppelt, and they are generally speaking pretty good with their shiraz right across the board. For me, if they turn the St Peters into a multi regional blend that will take a little of the gloss off (call me a purist).
So with that, look around Grampians, and Great Western for other producers.
Geelong is a good region to investigate, ditto Eden Valley, Great Southern, Fleurieu, Mornington, King Valley, Mansfield, Orange.
You'll also find that Yarra Valley, Coonawarra, and Pyrenees might do it for you.

All of these regions can have hot years though, and for whatever other reasons you may still get overly ripe fruit characters in the wines, so you have to pick and choose the wines from the vintages to get what you want.

John Durham formerly of Cape Mentelle fame is winemaking at Plantagenet Wines these days, and I've heard good things about the wines coming out of them recently. Their Shiraz is noteworthy.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

via collins

Post by via collins »

Great timing with the question - it's extremely cool in Victoria right now, and there are some superb savoury shiraz around the place at present. Following recommended with complete enthusiasm:

- The Story Westgate shiraz 2008 - big, meaty, with lovely complex tones, and will go for a long time I reckon - $45
- Lethbridge Estate shiraz 2007 - from the borders of Geelong, Moorabool specifically, another burly shiraz that's full of spice and savoury goodness $35
- Henty Estate shiraz hails from the Hamilton region of western Victoria - haven't tasted for a couple of years, but rock solid quality b/w $20 - $25

and absolutely ditto comments upthread about the Mt Langi wines - from top level down, it's great stuff.

Cheers.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Yes, forgot about Mount Langi.

Re-read the title, and you know, I reckon the Hunter shirazes fit. Not necessarily cool climate, but more savoury than their SA counterparts...

- Meerea Park Alexander Munro
- Meerea Park Hell Hole
- Thomas Kiss

daz

Post by daz »

There has been mention of Howard Park Scotsdale but that's the only one I noticed from the Great Southern region. There's also Plantagenet and Forest Hill, in particular from the latter, the Block 9.

Softie

Post by Softie »

All,

What a fantastic response from our community members. Great to get this out there at a time when there seems to be a movement towards spicy/savoury Shiraz.

I was in Great Southern last Xmas for 10 days. I grabbed, amoung other wines, some 07 Estate Forest Hill Sh. I can see why JH gave it 97. But yes their Block wines are elite; more expensive but not expensive by the standards of many Sth Aussie Shiraz.

I had a 01 E&E Black Pepper two nights ago. Whilst not their best vintage, it said "remember us" and had me thinking that my good stock of big fruited Shiraz wines is still going to be loved and become a fab source of all-the-more aged wines for having decided to diversify my Shiraz collection.

John

rooman

Post by rooman »

monghead wrote:Hi John,

I was thinking...

- Clonakillas
- Castagna Genesis
- Seppelt St Peters and Chalambar
- Dalwhinnie Moonambel
- Cape Mentelle Shiraz and Walcliffe Shiraz
- Mitchelton Print
- Giaconda Warner

Cheers,

Monghead.

I would go with Mongman's list. Clonakilla SV is the only shiraz i pick up every year. St Peters I have a have a strong vertical back to 98 (which is superb) but have forgotten to grab the last two vintages. Castagna is is excellent and the rest I have the odd vintage of bar the Giaconda which is something I would love to try one day.

On the other hand there is virtually nothing from SA I put away on a regular basis. The one exception is the Bin 389 which is more of habit than a preference given I have a vertical of that wine back 10 years and I have just realised I have never opened one. I really should remedy that situation. I think it is time to at least try one of the '98s.

Mark

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Others that I don't think have been mentioned yet (while they're not strictly cool-climate by definition, in character you could definitely consider them) include Michael Hall's Flaxman's Valley Syrah from the Eden Valley, and Ngeringa's Syrah from the Adelaide Hills. Battely Syrah is another one that falls into that savory style too.

It's interesting but from 2003 onwards Mt Langi isn't what I would regard as a cool-climate style shiraz anymore - nothing to do with the place, just the ripeness and character of the wine has drastically changed. Some would argue it is for the better though...

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Jay60A

Post by Jay60A »

A few I couldn't see on the list -

Best Thomsons' Family Reserve Shiraz
Yarra Yerring Dry Red #2
Yarra Yerring Underhill Shiraz

Otherwise pretty well covered here unless you want to try unproven areas like the Northern Rhone :twisted:.

Jay
“There are no standards of taste in wine. Each mans own taste is the standard, and a majority vote cannot decide for him or in any slightest degree affect the supremacy of his own standard". Mark Twain.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I'm another vote for Craiglee - from the "home of the Ashes" (hopefully we'll get them back at the end of the year).

Mike

Matt

Post by Matt »

Brown Hill Fimiston Shiraz 2007 (MR) is very well priced for $25 on their website.

Initially a little closed but opened up beautifully after 45mins in the decanter.
Dark berry/cherry fruits intermingled with spicy xmas fruitcake. Ever so subtle oak charaters with a very satisfying finish.
The non irrigated vines allow maximum fruit concentration in every mouthfull. This was a real stunner. Halliday gives it 94pts.

pc79

Post by pc79 »

The 2008 Chalambar i notice is quite cheap this week at one of the chains -

Softie

Post by Softie »

Had a 2002 Michelton print Shiraz tonight. Fantastic drinking: pepper, light blackberry and licorice. Considerable tannin, but very fine. No need to touch this for 2+ years; not the slightest sign of peaking.

monghead

Post by monghead »

Softie wrote:Had a 2002 Michelton print Shiraz tonight. Fantastic drinking: pepper, light blackberry and licorice. Considerable tannin, but very fine. No need to touch this for 2+ years; not the slightest sign of peaking.

One of my favourite vintages for the Print.