Eurocentric Wine's Burgundy Tasting Report - Sydney - Part 1

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Attila

Eurocentric Wine's Burgundy Tasting Report - Sydney - Part 1

Post by Attila »

Eurocentric Burgundy Tasting Report - Sydney - Part 1

Good Burgundy is mesmerising stuff, so excited suits and pinotphiles couldn’t wait to taste Eurocentric Wine’s current offering in the city at Fix St James last month. My review includes (what in my view were) the best of the lot.

My personal opinion of recent Burgundy vintages is that we are between the great years now. The great 2005’s are long gone (although there was a pretty good white in the line up). Of what I tasted recently, 2006 Chablis often looks flat and lacking acid structure and Burgundy reds look slightly diluted. 2007 whites are fresh and zippy, while reds are often thin and high in acid. 2008 is reportedly ripe and ready and 2009 is pure gold greatness, possibly as good as 2005. Anyway, let’s go to the table.

2007 STÉPHANE ADAME Les Vignes Derriere-Montagny 1er Cru
Beautifully composed and intense white with excellent interest and intensity. At the price, superb daily drinking and a real Burgundy experience!
93 points. AUD $55

2005 ALEX GAMBAL Bourgogne Cuvée Prestige
Still fresh after 5 years! Very intense and focussed, delivers well above its class. Lots of power and character. Great drinking!
93 points. AUD $58

2007 JEAN-PHILIPPE FICHET Meursault
Different ballgame. Fragrant and feminine wine with real interest and very pleasant drinking. Softer, more approachable with lovely class. There are really fine nuances here.
93 points. AUD $90

2007 BENOIT ENTE Puligny-Montrachet
Well, well...that’s how it’s done in my book!
This is the stuff that makes me excited about white Burgundy.
Amazing focus and precision. Cuts like a sword with beautiful clarity and intensity. Top Chardonnay. Power and presence with a very long finish. Delicious. Wow!
95 points. AUD $110

If you are interested in white Burgundy, I recommend trying these. They are currently available in Australia.

So, these were my picks from the line up of whites. I’ll report on the best reds next.

Cheers,
Attila
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

dave vino

Re: Eurocentric Wine's Burgundy Tasting Report - Sydney - Pa

Post by dave vino »

$55 a bottle for a daily drinker? (yes I'm bitter about missing out on this tasting... :x )

rens

Post by rens »

dave vino wrote:$55 a bottle for a daily drinker? (yes I'm bitter about missing out on this tasting... :x )

Yes I did think that too.
However one mans daily drinker is anothers 'once a year' special bottle...
Wish My daily was a $55 bottle though :(
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

ufo

Post by ufo »

rens wrote:
dave vino wrote:$55 a bottle for a daily drinker? (yes I'm bitter about missing out on this tasting... :x )

Yes I did think that too.
However one mans daily drinker is anothers 'once a year' special bottle...
Wish My daily was a $55 bottle though :(

Same wish goes here too

Attila

Post by Attila »

My daily drinking comment was meant for those who drink Burgundy regularly...for them $55 is bottom end... :wink:
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

Eboracum

Post by Eboracum »

Attila wrote:My daily drinking comment was meant for those who drink Burgundy regularly...for them $55 is bottom end... :wink:

Nice notes. AUD55 is about three times what I would expect to pay here for Montagny in our fast depreciating Euros.
Eboracum