First Sunday of Spring......

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Brucer

Re: First Sunday of Spring......

Post by Brucer »

I opened a 2003 Rockford Basket Press shiraz on the weekend, and it is singing. I also love 03 Standish shiraz, its an amazing wine for the vintage.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

02 Kalimna Drinking well now.
06 Kalimna. I like this, balanced.
96 Grant Burge Filsell Hard going. Oak and menthol.
05 Lloyd bros White Chalk shiraz. Fruit has gobbled up the oak, and its very good.
01 Galah sparkling shiraz. Very old style Wendouree on the nose and palate, slightly disappointed with that, but still a good wine.
Oomoo sparkling shiraz. good drink. probably better then 05 Seppelts. around $19
Sorby Adams Morticia sparkling shiraz. good summer drink. balanced, not too sweet. Great value at $18
08 Peter Lehmann shiraz . Had real trouble with this.
08 Torbreck Woodcutters shiraz. Very ripe.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

daz

Post by daz »

You seem to enjoy the Oracle's style Davo - I still have a couple of bottles of the 04 :D

Cheers

daz

Davo

Post by Davo »

daz wrote:You seem to enjoy the Oracle's style Davo - I still have a couple of bottles of the 04 :D

Cheers

daz

It was in a flight of 5 with the Juniper Estate, Guigal d'Ampuis, Penfolds Grange, and Octavius. The other 3 Oz wines all had a sameness despite the different regions, the Frog yelled France though I picked it as the Hermitage rather than Cote Rotie, but the Oracle plumbed depths of complexity that the others lacked. The regional characters were true and the texture was really lovely. I liked it a lot.

4+ hours later the Juniper was still about the same, the Grange and Octavius were going downhill and definitely showing unpleasant characters, but the Oracle and the d'Ampuis were starting to really sing.

daz

Post by daz »

Thanks for that additional information Davo, adds perspective.

Cheers

daz

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Monghead,

I haven't had the Hoffmann yet (its sleeping for a few years yet), but my last bottle of Moorooroo was a tad underwhelming. I've got another one that I'll be opening on my next visit to Oz later this year.

Mike

monghead

Post by monghead »

Mike Hawkins wrote:Monghead,

I haven't had the Hoffmann yet (its sleeping for a few years yet), but my last bottle of Moorooroo was a tad underwhelming. I've got another one that I'll be opening on my next visit to Oz later this year.

Mike

Thank you.

I suspected that much from the Moorooroo actually. From memory, I wasn't a fan of it either many years ago. I had acquired 3 sets of the SVSs from '96, and had only tried the Moorooroo. Will have to try the others soon...

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

2008 Kilikanoon Mort's Block Reserve Riesling - very good, lots of tingly acid and a good depth of typical Clare Valley riesling flavours - lemon, lime, slatey undertones.

2004 Peter Lehmann Stonewell Shiraz - a beautiful Barossa Shiraz. Plums, dark chocolate, liquorice hints, earthiness and a great structure.

2007 Telmo Rodriguez Al Muvedre - excellent drinking with tapas and pizza.

1986 Yarra Yering Dry Red No 1 - superb wine. Complex notes of olive, tomato leaf, leather, tobacco amongst the blackcurrant fruit. Still lots of structure and refreshing acid in the mouth. Excellent.
Premierships and great wine... that is what life is all about

fred

Post by fred »

dlo wrote:Second bottle from a six pack, Fred, and both times, not my wine. Last bottle opened some months back (from the same source) seemed riper upon opening and I can't recall how it fared in the glass, sorry, but I do remember it being very bloody good. The bottle yesterday was spectacularly classy at first ..... 95 points. Only after a couple of hours did I downgrade my rating. Please note - even then, very little to complain about. I don't think you have much to worry about. The wine will last for many year yet, I'm sure. Maybe, the trick is just to drink it quicker, once poured? :wink:

David,

Opened a 98 Magill on the weekend from my stash: decanted into glass jug for 2 hours prior to drinking (nose on opening was good precursor as very good). Opned superbly - and I think has about another 5 years of improvement (and would expect it to hold for 7 plus thereafter). It fully meets my expectations from release: it will be the best magill to date (and is already close for this underachieving marque given the price and standards expected).

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

I'd say 06 is a better Magill than 98 by a fair bit.
GW