Adelaide Offline with Muscat Mike bookings: NEW DATE 24/9

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Wayno wrote:I was also contemplating mid 90s Riddoch! Possibly 96 but then a lot could change between now and then.

If we're doing an unofficial Riddoch vertical I can bring a 98. :wink:

On second thought I don't think it will ready to drink and will probably be a bit of a waste - perhaps maybe the 98 Wynns Michael instead?

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

PaulG wrote:We were at Chapel Hill today and picked up a beautiful Bushvine Grenache. I appreciate this isn't up to the standard of a John Riddoch, but to be honest, nothing we can afford would be.

We'll also bring something else... maybe a Samuel's Gorge Tempranillo or something else out of our wine fridge.

Paul, I hope I'm not sounding a little harsh here but instead of bringing two bottles pool the money into buying the one good one - I think you'll find a current release close to JR standard for the money ($50-70, which if you shop around should be about the going rate for a JR itself). One bottle between the two of you will be fine - it's not like we run out of wine at these things. :wink:

Updated participants:

Muscat Mike
n4sir
PaulG & Jazz
Scanlon +2
Wayno +1-2
David & Pam
ck
Mark Jappe +1
Briony +1 (maybe)

Cheers,
Ian

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

If we are overloaded with Riddoch, I was thinking of a 1983 Lindemans Hunter River Shiraz which I have seen at a reasonable price about the place, and with some great reviews.

I'm a bit loathed to bring only riddoch because it could be matched by food styles other than chinese so much better. No that i wouldn't bring a Riddoch if the consensus was there ;) it just seems that a bit of variation would be better than a vertical per se.

*2c*

brigourmet

Post by brigourmet »

Yes, count me in +1. I'll check what's in the cellar.

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

No offence taken at all, Ian! Happy to bring a current release JR in that case :)

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Scanlon wrote:If we are overloaded with Riddoch, I was thinking of a 1983 Lindemans Hunter River Shiraz which I have seen at a reasonable price about the place, and with some great reviews.

*2c*

I have had this several times and really love it. My daughter was born in '83.
Mike.

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

Muscat Mike wrote:
Scanlon wrote:If we are overloaded with Riddoch, I was thinking of a 1983 Lindemans Hunter River Shiraz which I have seen at a reasonable price about the place, and with some great reviews.

*2c*

I have had this several times and really love it. My daughter was born in '83.
Mike.

Excellent - I wil definitely pick up one of them then :)

n4sir

Re: Adelaide Offline with Muscat Mike bookings: NEW DATE 24/9

Post by n4sir »

A quick update of who's going & what they're possibly taking:

Muscat Mike - 86 Wynns John Riddoch or 91 Wynns Centenary magnum
707 - 86 Penfolds Grange Hermitage (only kidding Steve!) :wink:
n4sir - 98 Wynns Michael Shiraz
PaulG & Jazz -
Scanlon +2 - 83 Lindemans Hunter River Shiraz
Wayno +1-2 - 96 Wynns John Riddoch (?)
David & Pam
ck
Mark Jappe +1
brigourmet +1

Cheers,
Ian

Mark Jappe

Post by Mark Jappe »

I will definitely bring a 96 Lovedale but am tossing up what to bring for the second bottle. Leaning towards either a vintage champagne or a 96 or 98 Melton cabernet. Happy to be influenced about the choice of second wine if Melton cabernet is not anyone's cup of tea.

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

Just wondering Ian - what was that other restaurant that you had a wine dinner at that you said was great and really looked after you??

I still think it would be nice to having these wines alongside food that might match them better. I also have sauternes i'd like to bring, but there are not really any desserts to pair it with at chinese!

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I'm minded to agree - as awesome as T-Chow is, with wines of this calibre, I'm not sure that Chinese is the best option (that being said, being the resident cheapskate I can't complain with cheap food and $2 corkage!)

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Scanlon wrote:Just wondering Ian - what was that other restaurant that you had a wine dinner at that you said was great and really looked after you??

I still think it would be nice to having these wines alongside food that might match them better. I also have sauternes i'd like to bring, but there are not really any desserts to pair it with at chinese!

If we continue to get the big turnouts to these things (15-18 people) I think one of the private rooms upstairs at the Earl of Aberdeen (ie. Coopers Alehouse) would be ideal. The quality of the food at the AFWAC dinner was I feel as good as what we had at The Sauce, and the set menus are much cheaper ($42.50 for 1/1/1, $46.50 for 2/2/2)- if we go on a weeknight they can negotiate the corkage and room hire fee which makes it very attractive: http://www.coopersalehouse.net/maxwell.html

The other place I wouldn't mind trying sometime is Vincenzo's which Adrian & Nick have said some nice things about. AlexF is heading into town the following week, so if people are really keen and he can fit a dinner into his schedule maybe we could try it out when he's in town?

Cheers,
Ian

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

Hi Ian

I am happy to negotiate a booking with any of those venues for the 24th if you like - you organise so many of these things I am happy to help out :)

we are still a few weeks away, so i think there's time if the crowd is willing - otherwise will go with the flow.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Scanlon wrote:Hi Ian

I am happy to negotiate a booking with any of those venues for the 24th if you like - you organise so many of these things I am happy to help out :)

we are still a few weeks away, so i think there's time if the crowd is willing - otherwise will go with the flow.

I floated the idea of these places with Steve back in August & he preferred T-Chow (and if we couldn't get that he'd try and arrange something with The Sauce). I made the booking last month (and then changed dates for the switch to Thursday) so to be honest I'm not too keen on mucking them around. I think the Earl could be hard to get now too with a few weeks notice (footy finals time of the year).

Cheers,
Ian

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

OK,
I have found the '86 JR so will bring that. The Magnum of Wynns Centenary is starting to leak so I will pack that carefully and bring it also.
See you all in two weeks.
Mike.

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

n4sir wrote:
Scanlon wrote:Hi Ian

I floated the idea of these places with Steve back in August & he preferred T-Chow (and if we couldn't get that he'd try and arrange something with The Sauce). I made the booking last month (and then changed dates for the switch to Thursday) so to be honest I'm not too keen on mucking them around. I think the Earl could be hard to get now too with a few weeks notice (footy finals time of the year).

Cheers,
Ian

ok no worries Ian :)

Post by 707 »

Hey I'm not fussed about T-Chow when a high standard of wine is involved, I'd actually prefer The Sauce or Archies in Melbourne Steet.

If there is sufficient support for a move I'm happy to negotiate either venue with Tapas for starters, choice of a couple of mains like beef fillet or chicken and alternate desserts like lemon tart or something chocolate. $65 to $70 will get us all this plus unlimited corkage and coffee thrown in.

Archies has an excellent vineyard courtyard.

Let me know asap.

Ian, we may like to chat about this on e-mail.

Wine wise I'll bring 1983 Moss Wood ............... Chardonnay and a Kalleske Old Vine Grenache and an old John Riddoch.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

If we do move, sticking to the mid $40's (e.g. what Ian suggested at the Ale House) would be ideal for Jazz and I, however we won't stand in the way of a higher budget if that is the will of the masses :)

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

either is ok with me

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I was quite looking forward to the t chow experience.. Vincenzo's also sounds intriguing.... (but am happy to go with the consensus! :) )
Last edited by Wayno on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I can also vouch for the quality if food at coopers ale house, having had a couple of Melbourne cup lunches there and been pleasantly surprised.
Cheers
Wayno

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Guys, with all due respect I think with less than a fortnight to go and up to 20 already indicating they're going it's a little late to be looking at changing the venue this time around (especially this time of year).

Updated details:
Muscat Mike - 86 Wynns John Riddoch & 91 Wynns Centenary magnum,
707 - 83 Moss Wodd Chardonnay, Kalleske Old Vine Grenache, an old John Riddoch,
n4sir (maybe+1) - 98 Wynns Michael Shiraz, probably something else...
PaulG & Jazz
Scanlon +2 - 83 Lindemans Hunter River Shiraz
Wayno +1 - 96 Wynns John Riddoch (?)
David & Pam
ck
Mark Jappe +1 - 96 Loveday Semillon, vintage Champagne or late 90s Charles Melton Cabernet
brigourmet +1
Lagare Lout

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Confirming +1 only for me now, with other wine to be confirmed. Given the gamut of Riddochs on show I'm thinking possibly an alternative now.
Cheers
Wayno

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Wayno wrote:Confirming +1 only for me now, with other wine to be confirmed. Given the gamut of Riddochs on show I'm thinking possibly an alternative now.

2-3 Riddochs is a gamut? :?

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

n4sir wrote:
Wayno wrote:Confirming +1 only for me now, with other wine to be confirmed. Given the gamut of Riddochs on show I'm thinking possibly an alternative now.

2-3 Riddochs is a gamut? :?

In my usual drinking circles, yes.! Still, it may make for interesting comparative tasting if it comes along.
Cheers
Wayno

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

I might bring an Arrivo Nebbiolo rose to get the night started as I really liked this wine when I had it a few weeks ago. I know it's not old, but it is special :)

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Scanlon wrote:I might bring an Arrivo Nebbiolo rose to get the night started as I really liked this wine when I had it a few weeks ago. I know it's not old, but it is special :)

Agreed, great wine - I really like this too and it would certainly not be out of place with the food, either!
Cheers
Wayno

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Time to bump this up again - those who haven't mentioned something to date, please let us know what you're thinking of taking.

Updated details:
Muscat Mike - 86 Wynns John Riddoch & 91 Wynns Centenary magnum,
707 - 83 Moss Wodd Chardonnay, Kalleske Old Vine Grenache, an old John Riddoch,
n4sir (maybe+1) - 98 Wynns Michael Shiraz, probably something else...
PaulG & Jazz - 06 Wynns John Riddoch
Scanlon +2 - 83 Lindemans Hunter River Shiraz, Arrivo Nebbiolo rose
Wayno +1 - 96 Wynns John Riddoch (?)
David & Pam
ck
Mark Jappe +1 - 96 Loveday Semillon, vintage Champagne or late 90s Charles Melton Cabernet
brigourmet +1
Lagare Lout

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Picked up a 2006 John Riddoch today, so that will be our contribution :)

ck

Post by ck »

I'm looking forward to this having caught a cold just before the last one and having to cancel as a result. I know what people mean about food to match the wine and was wondering if we could boost up the number of beef dishes to help with the tannins and body of the cabernets. The other observation was that in the past I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the TChow food matches the lovely variety of wines that we have served up.
Thinking about wine to match the food I'd like to bring my last Bannockburn 2004 Pinot and a Richmond Grove Watervale Reisling 2002.
Look forward to seeing everyone
Chris