It must be Friday - Quiz day

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Quizmaster

It must be Friday - Quiz day

Post by Quizmaster »

I think today’s quiz will be pretty tough without help? So ask questions.

Let's start:

I am the main variety of my country and region.
My variety has one particularly distinctive trait.

Quizmaster

Post by Quizmaster »

This is 'me'

RogerPike

Post by RogerPike »

Saperavi?

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

Is this country/region in South America?

Quizmaster

Post by Quizmaster »

So much for me thinking this was going to be difficult :oops:

These were going to be the other clues:

I am also grown in a number of regions in Australia, King Valley, Barossa, McLaren Vale, Kangaroo Island, Granite Belt.
I have considerable aging potential - up to 50 years.
My country of origin has thousands of years history experimenting and breeding me.
There are also many hundred varieties of me.
I am used to produce both sweet and dry table wines.

RogerPike

Post by RogerPike »

Sorry...

Quizmaster

Post by Quizmaster »

So well done Roger.

I am Saperavi and unique because the variety has red flesh. Literally translated as "paint, dye", this red grape variety is native to Georgia where it is the main red grape of that central Asian country. It produces wines of intense red colour and complex flavour that are renowned for their longevity. The grape is used in Georgia to produce both sweet and dry red wines. Mukuzani (aged for three years in oak casks) and Saperavi (aged for one year) are examples of dry, red wines made from this variety.

With over 500 native varieties and a 6,000 year history of evolution of the vine and its wine, Georgia has singled out Saperavi to be its main red grape variety.

Taken from the back label of ‘Symphonia’ produced by Sam Miranda in the King Valley: “Saperavi is also Russia’s main red wine grape and is planted throughout the many wine growing countries of the former Soviet Block. Ripe Saperavi has immense colour and tannins, and its red flesh is unique amongst wine grapes”.

Saparavi is grown in a number of regions in Australia, including Domain Day Barossa Valley, Gapsted Alpine Valleys, Hawkers Gate McLaren Vale, Hugh Hamilton McLaren Vale, Ridgemill Estate Granite Belt, Rookery Wines Kangaroo Island, Symphonia King Valley, Wombats Run King Valley (Vinodiversity).

Quizmaster

Post by Quizmaster »

Alex F wrote:Is this country/region in South America?

Oh, no!!!! Asia.

griff

Post by griff »

I think Alicante Bouchet also has red flesh I'm told.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

griff

Post by griff »

Wow. There are more than I thought!

Alicante Bouschet, Carmina, Deckrot, Dunkelfelder, Gamay Teinturier, Garnacha Tinotorera, Grand Noir de la Calmette, Kolor, Petit Bouschet, Pinot Teinturier, Royalty 1390, Rubired, Salvador, Saperavi, Siebouschet & Sulmer.

From Jancis of course ;)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Hey Quizmaster. I know you are omnipotent and all that, but I would have called Georgia as Eastern Europe or (possibly) West Asia. I guess I lean towards the former as it is west of the Urals and the cultural history seems more aligned with Europe than Asia. Then again all of these silly lines and borders are ridiculous anyway, so I'm not sure what I am saying.

Oh BTW, thanks for ruining it for everybody Roger!!
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Quizmaster

Post by Quizmaster »

Michael McNally wrote:Hey Quizmaster. I know you are omnipotent and all that, but I would have called Georgia as Eastern Europe or (possibly) West Asia. I guess I lean towards the former as it is west of the Urals and the cultural history seems more aligned with Europe than Asia. Then again all of these silly lines and borders are ridiculous anyway, so I'm not sure what I am saying.

Oh BTW, thanks for ruining it for everybody Roger!!

Definitely Asia, as are (and I’ve probably missed a few):

North and South Asia
Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China (The People's Republic of), India Indonesia,
Japan, Korea (The Democratic People's Republic of), North Korea Korea (The Republic of),
Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan (Republic of China), Thailand, Vietnam.

Commonwealth of Independent States (former USSR)
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.

Middle East area
Afghanistan, Bahrain, Brunei, Cyprus, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.

Quizmaster

Post by Quizmaster »

griff wrote:Wow. There are more than I thought!

Alicante Bouschet, Carmina, Deckrot, Dunkelfelder, Gamay Teinturier, Garnacha Tinotorera, Grand Noir de la Calmette, Kolor, Petit Bouschet, Pinot Teinturier, Royalty 1390, Rubired, Salvador, Saperavi, Siebouschet & Sulmer.

From Jancis of course ;)

cheers

Carl

I didn't realise there were so many others :shock:

griff

Post by griff »

Quizmaster wrote:
griff wrote:Wow. There are more than I thought!

From Jancis of course ;)

cheers

Carl

I didn't realise there were so many others :shock:

I just can't get over the name "Deckrot"! :lol: I wonder what the wine tastes like :)

cheers

Carl

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Quizmaster wrote:Definitely Asia, as are (and I’ve probably missed a few):

North and South Asia
Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China (The People's Republic of), India Indonesia,
Japan, Korea (The Democratic People's Republic of), North Korea Korea (The Republic of),
Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan (Republic of China), Thailand, Vietnam.

Commonwealth of Independent States (former USSR)
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.

Middle East area
Afghanistan, Bahrain, Brunei, Cyprus, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.

Sorry Quizmaster, but I believe Belarus and Ukraine are part of Europe. They lie to the west of what is considered the "European" part of Russia. I acknowledge there is some debate as to whether Georgia and Azerbaijan are part of Europe or Asia as some do draw the south-eastern border of Europe as the Caucuses. I didn't say Georgia was in Europe, just that I would have called it as such. If you are interested, the debate seems nicely summarised here: http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia ... e_and_Asia.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Davo

Post by Davo »

They considered themselves part of Europe when I was there last, and the people and buildings are certainly more European than Asian.

Drank plenty of the local juice as well. Wines ranged from excellent through to varnish, so not much different to Australia :twisted: though nothing really in the super excellent rating. The local spirits were death in a glass.

Quizmaster

Post by Quizmaster »

You're right Michael, Belarus and Ukraine are part of Europe. I intended to go with Asia for Georgia simply to make the quiz more difficult, but was thwarted!

Sorry, no quiz this week, have simply run out of time. More than happy for someone else to do it though :wink: