should we crack a 1986 Grange..? Now?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
rocknoise

should we crack a 1986 Grange..? Now?

Post by rocknoise »

A friend has a well-stored 86 Grange and probably thought he would never drink it. I've been telling him it has to go down the hatch soon. Has anyone tried it recently?
It's probably the only G he will ever drink and with no births or anniversaries in the near future I'm thinking "winter" could be a good excuse.
Please help...
My advice was - after a week of good sleep, no smoking and no sign of a head cold, it will be as good a time as any...
Would hate it to go too far.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

It's an exercise I have been thinking about myself. I have about 20-24 people coming over to my place to celebrate my birthday later today, and the thought has crossed my mind. I am providing the food and the wine, and I am using this as an opportunity to open some magnums, and have advertised it amongst my frien ds accordingly.

How far do you go?

In my case, and having had a little professional involvement in the industry, it becomes a case of which wines do you keep 'behind your back' , when pouring the magnums to your mates. For comparison, the initial white magnum will be 2004 John Kosovich (Swan Valley via Manjimup) Chardonnay, with the red being a 1999 Leasingham Bin 61 Shiraz. More precise offerings will follow; e.g. my only bottle of 2003 Ashbrook dessert Riesling, and I have just decanted possibly the last sound bottle in existence of 'Glenalwyn' (Swan Valley) 1982 VP. Thnere will also be a truckload of other wines to suit the tastes of my guests.

However, in this case, the decision to 'Grange or not to Grange' has been decided by the fact that a couple ofthe people I want to share the 1986 with will not be there. There will be no shortage of fabulous reds, just not Granges as a result.

For your mate, if it is the only G he will ever have - then make it special. I intend to do the same, and for me, it is as much about the people as the wine.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I'm under the impression that the 1986 Grange is one of the better ones, and from an excellent vintage. Since it has been well stored the real question is wether it is ready to drink. My guess is that it may just, only just, be reaching maturity.

Whatever happens don't forget to stand it upright for a at least a day then carefully decant it. And don't forget the food..........

Hope you enjoy it, Mahmoud.

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Drink it!

monghead

Post by monghead »

rocknoise, this is one of the best Granges I have had. Still a wine I aspire to savour again, and a point of reference in my memory banks. I believe this wine has many, many years left in it, and as others have said, it was an extremely good Grange vintage. There is no rush to consume this wine, but when you do, buckle your seat-belts, as you are in for an amazing ride.

Cheers,

monghead.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

monghead wrote:rocknoise, this is one of the best Granges I have had. Still a wine I aspire to savour again, and a point of reference in my memory banks. I believe this wine has many, many years left in it, and as others have said, it was an extremely good Grange vintage. There is no rush to consume this wine, but when you do, buckle your seat-belts, as you are in for an amazing ride.

Cheers,

monghead.

1986 wasn't just a good vintage for Grange, it was a good vintage for reds in most Oz regions. Would that I could try Grange 86 but at least the entry-level Tahbilk shiraz 86s I've had were indicative of the quality of the vintage.

Cheers

daz

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Woohoo, i have an '86 grange... everytime i go to open a bottle of wine i consider opening it, and then end up looking at it for ages and somehow finding restraint... it doesn help that i have to reach past it to get to other wines....

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

hmmm wrote:Woohoo, i have an '86 grange... everytime i go to open a bottle of wine i consider opening it, and then end up looking at it for ages and somehow finding restraint... it doesn help that i have to reach past it to get to other wines....
well done its all about discipline :D Its after a couple of bottles i have to be careful :?

Regards Dazza
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

dazza1968 wrote:
hmmm wrote:Woohoo, i have an '86 grange... everytime i go to open a bottle of wine i consider opening it, and then end up looking at it for ages and somehow finding restraint... it doesn help that i have to reach past it to get to other wines....
well done its all about discipline :D Its after a couple of bottles i have to be careful :?

Regards Dazza

haha, that's it hey, it starts at one, then nature takes its course and then its two... three... :shock:

dazza1968

Post by dazza1968 »

hmmm wrote:
dazza1968 wrote:

Regards Dazza

haha, that's it hey, it starts at one, then nature takes its course and then its two... three... :shock:
Hmmm the next day Spent in deep regret :x :cry: Opening one of your favourites promising to keep it for 10 years and it lasted 5 :cry:
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

wolf

Post by wolf »

Had a bottle of the '86 Grange about 12 months ago. Still quite youthful, with just a hint of brick red at the rim. Was slightly surprised with its (lack of) intensity, but very elegant and the finish was very very long. An excellent wine and certainly just entering it's drinking window to me.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Daryl Douglas wrote:
monghead wrote:rocknoise, this is one of the best Granges I have had. Still a wine I aspire to savour again, and a point of reference in my memory banks. I believe this wine has many, many years left in it, and as others have said, it was an extremely good Grange vintage. There is no rush to consume this wine, but when you do, buckle your seat-belts, as you are in for an amazing ride.

Cheers,

monghead.

1986 wasn't just a good vintage for Grange, it was a good vintage for reds in most Oz regions. Would that I could try Grange 86 but at least the entry-level Tahbilk shiraz 86s I've had were indicative of the quality of the vintage.

Cheers

daz

I had an 1986 penfold's bin389 about 18 months back and it was sensational and could have gone another 5 or even 10 years. Although I have never had the 1986 grange, everything that I have read/heard says it will go another 20 years. Therefore I think you should saved it for something special. If on the otherhand your idea of something special is a wednesday night, drink it this wednesday! :wink:

dkw

Post by dkw »

...NOW??!

It is lunchtime I guess, but at least wait until I get there!

Dave.