December - What are you rounding the year out buying?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Peter NZ wrote:
Partagas wrote:St Henri 2004

I'm looking at an offer for this at NZD 58 (AUD 44 / USD 32) that expires tomorrow -- any thoughts on the vintage (or price)?

Thanks
Peter

I would buy it... very very good, though I cannot find my note on it at the moment :?

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Sharkey wrote:
Bob H. wrote:Sharkey, you are a lucky guy, living there where you can get Tahbilk at the drop of a dollar! I have the 95, 98, 99,00,02,and 06, marsanne. I also have one single bottle of the 02 rousanne, which I desperately need to find a reason to open. I also have some red. regular shiraz and some 1860 shiraz. The latter needs a special occasion for opening too.

Bob
I still have a few bottles of 80s and early 90s Cab Sav (86, 88, 91 I think) as well as a magnum of 92 Marsanne - which also needs a special occasion for opening.

Bob H. wrote:If you find yourself on this side of the pond, yell at me and we will pull some bark.

Likewise.

I don't cellar whites but have occasionally got an aged marsanne in a mixed case, mainly Chairman's Selections I buy mostly for the 1860s but more recently the reserves/ESPs as well which I have stashed plus a bottle each of 03, 04 cab and shiraz. My preference for whites is when young, fresh - prefer the roussanne to the marsanne, the former finds more favour on my palate as a young wine.

Most recent buy from Tahbilk was last month, a self-selected mix:

2x Tahbilk 2007 Tempranillo ($12.55 each) - varietal, savoury good+
3x Tahbilk 2005 Shiraz ($16.15 each) - deep fruit, eucalypt, very good+
2x Tahbilk 2007 Cabernet Franc ($12.55 each) - very nice, plummy good+
1x Tahbilk 1996 'Museum Release' Cabernet/Shiraz ($19.75 each)*
1x Cellar Door & Web Special Tahbilk 2004 Roussanne ($12.55 each)*
3x Tahbilk 2008 Roussanne ($11.65 each) - nice mouthfeel, very good+

*not tried

Yeah, Bob it's great to have ready access to Tahbilk's wines but it can get the credit card limit burned too. :(

Cheers

daz

ps I reckon the marsanne 00 is the best I've tried young.

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Lincoln wrote:
Peter NZ wrote:

I'm looking at an offer for this at NZD 58 (AUD 44 / USD 32) that expires tomorrow -- any thoughts on the vintage (or price)?

Thanks
Peter

I would buy it... very very good, though I cannot find my note on it at the moment :?

You won’t believe it but I actually paid $54AU per bottle here in Perth. Have heard all round it is a great vintage and being a huge fan of this wine bought up at that price. Will open my first soon in the festive season.

Sam
Last edited by Partagas on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

AU$44 is about half price - don't think I've seen it cheaper in Aus than about $70 or so. Gary Walsh at The Wine Front gives it a big rap, 96+pts and reckons it needs to be decanted for about 6 hours before drinking. It's been given similar reviews by just about anyone who's tried it (I haven't, more than I can afford but I'd be seriously tempted to grab a bottle, perhaps two for $44/btl).

Apparently it's a great St Henri and that price looks beyond mere temptation.

Cheers

daz

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

FT & WW had it for $55 last week
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

monghead

Post by monghead »

Silly season nearing, silly buying occurring...

- 2x 1996 Rousseau Chambertin
- 1x 2000 Rousseau Mazy-Chambertin
- 1x 1989 Chateau Palmer
- 1x 1989 Chateau D'Yquem
- 6x 2004 Leroy Bourgogne
- 3x 1999 Dom Perignon
- 3x 2000 Dom Perignon
- 1x 1999 Bass Phillip Premium

Cheers,

Monghead.

Peter NZ

Post by Peter NZ »

Thanks for the responses re '04 St Henri -- I've gone & bought 6.

Cheers
Peter

Rednick

Post by Rednick »

2006 Clos Des Papes
2006 Stefano Lubiana Pinot Noir
2005 Yalumba The Menzies
2004 Voyager CSM
2006 Taltarni Brut Tache
2007 Shaw & Smith M3 Chardonnay
2007 Clarry's Original
2006 Paxton AAA
2008 Turkey Flat Rose
2005 Jacobs Creek Reserve Cab Sav
2007 Wynns Chard
Bolly NV
2005 Brands Liara Cab Sav

Cheers

Nick
Last edited by Rednick on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darby

Vermentino and Tempranillo

Post by darby »

Best wines of the year have been tempranillo and vermentino, so I need to stock up on those this week.

Probably Brown Brothers for both, that way there'll be enough money in the kitty, Global crisis notwithstanding, to lash out on some good sparkling red. Perhaps Andersons or Auldstones.

Di Lusso has impressive Vermentino, maybe I can get some of their excellent rose as well.

I know Albarino is the buzz white of the moment, but Vermentino kills it, and any other white variety for texture.

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

12 Sir James Hardy 04
6 Yarrabank Fizz 06

Importantly to get the 18 Speigleau glasses with the deal.

It is however looking more like a red drinkers summers than a refreshing white drinkers summer at the moment.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Sparkling Shiraz! Stocking up as plenty will be consumed over the next month or two.

Ashton Hills 2001
Sorby Adams Morticia
maybe some E&E 2004
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Lots of 2007 Jacobs Creek Chardonnay, lots of 2007 Koonunga Hill Cabernet, for the guests of course! :oops:

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

John #11 wrote:Lots of 2007 Jacobs Creek Chardonnay, lots of 2007 Koonunga Hill Cabernet, for the guests of course! :oops:

For <$7 the JC chard 07 is pretty bloody good! I'm sure your guests won't be disappointed by it. Don't recall ever having tried KH cab, certainly not the 07. A very good alternative would be JC shiraz cab 06, cheaper too! :wink:

Cheers

daz

Bick

Post by Bick »

2 to 4 btls each of:

Wirra Wirra Catapult Shiraz Viognier 06
Wirra Wirra The Lost Watch Riesling 07
Johner Estate Riesling 08
Trinity Hill The Gimblett 05
Villa Maria CS Riesling 07

Anyone in the know care to suggest drinking windows for the Wirra's?
Cheers,
Mike

Elvispga

Post by Elvispga »

Managed to sneak a few more purchases in after the Rockford buys from last month.

6 x 2006 John Duval Entity
3 x 2005 Tappanappa Whale Bone Vineyard Cab/ Shiraz
2 x 2005 Chateau La Tour De Mons
3 x 1986 Marc Bredif Vouvray.

Cheers
Elvis

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Like all addicts, I was trying to give it up but like all addicts, I succumbed once more to temptation.

12 * 06 St Hallet Gamekeepers Reserve Red
6 * 05 Knappstein Three
12 * Tatachilla Partners Red

All for $5 each so really just couldn't resist even if they all end up in the spag bol (well maybe not the Three which is a white blend)

Then really broke down with:
6 * 06 Voyager Estate Chardonnay
6 * 04 Voyager Estate Cab merlot

DOH!
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

orpheus

Post by orpheus »

Kays Bros Amery Block 6 Shiraz 2006 x 6

Chapel Hill "The Vicar" shiraz 2006 x12 (under-rated wine IMO)

Lanson BL NV x 12 (could not resist and sold soul to the First Choice devil at $36 a bottle; it is one of the best of the main-stream Champagnes, and is ridiculously cheap at that price).

redwine

Post by redwine »

I guess enough to survive the Christmas Holidays.....

6 x Chapel Hill Shiraz 1996
6 x Lehmann Light Pass CS 2002
8 x Ridge CS Jimsonaire 1985
12 x Chateau Laville Haut Brion 1987
1 x Chateau Ausone 1996
1 x Magnum Chateau Larose Mascard 1989
1 x Whisky Macallan 25y Anniversary (Sherry Oak / Bottled 1965)
1 x Whisky Macallan 25y Anniversary (Sherry Oak)
1 x Whisky Macallan 1962
1 x Whisky Macallan 1959

Cheers and happy drinking.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. I am looking forward to reading all your interesting postings in the coming year.

Paullie

Post by Paullie »

Partagas wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Peter NZ wrote:

Thanks
Peter

You won’t believe it but I actually paid $54AU per bottle here in Perth. Have heard all round it is a great vintage and being a huge fan of this wine bought up at that price. Will open my first soon in the festive season.

Sam

Where did you get it for that price, pm if you must, thanks.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Sounds like a very nice, expensive, selection of Macallan - haven't tried it, not even the entry level whisky. The Glenlivet 12yo is about what I usually can afford but I'm seriously thinking of a Bowmore 12yo as a Christmas gift to myself.

On wine, I couldn't resist the 15% Teusner discount so ordered 4xThe Riebke Shiraz 07 and a single bottle of Astral Series Mataro 06 to make the $140+ free freight.

daz

redwine

Post by redwine »

Daryl Douglas wrote:Sounds like a very nice, expensive, selection of Macallan - haven't tried it, not even the entry level whisky. The Glenlivet 12yo is about what I usually can afford but I'm seriously thinking of a Bowmore 12yo as a Christmas gift to myself.

On wine, I couldn't resist the 15% Teusner discount so ordered 4xThe Riebke Shiraz 07 and a single bottle of Astral Series Mataro 06 to make the $140+ free freight.

daz

I could not resist buying these Macallan bottles, especially as the prices were really tempting with the 1959 at around 350 Dollars and the others much lower.

Cheers.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Daryl Douglas wrote:On wine, I couldn't resist the 15% Teusner discount so ordered 4xThe Riebke Shiraz 07 and a single bottle of Astral Series Mataro 06 to make the $140+ free freight.

daz

Coincidence - I've ordered a mixed dozen of the Teusner myself - some rose` and three different reds. Unfortunately, they're unlikely to land in WA before Christmas, and maybe even not before New Year - but it's only the rose` and maybe the Riebke I would crack now anyway. The rest can cellar.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Waiters Friend wrote:
Daryl Douglas wrote:On wine, I couldn't resist the 15% Teusner discount so ordered 4xThe Riebke Shiraz 07 and a single bottle of Astral Series Mataro 06 to make the $140+ free freight.

daz

Coincidence - I've ordered a mixed dozen of the Teusner myself - some rose` and three different reds. Unfortunately, they're unlikely to land in WA before Christmas, and maybe even not before New Year - but it's only the rose` and maybe the Riebke I would crack now anyway. The rest can cellar.

Cheers

Allan

I had a few of the first vintage of "Salsa" Allan and found it very enjoyable. Suggest you and Sue have some on New Years Eve before you crack the bottle of bubbles :)

The coincidence is most likely related to Teusner's 15% discount :wink:

Best wishes to you both for a great Christmas and a very happy vinous New Year

Cheers,

daz