Suggestions for cheap Sauvignon Blanc

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rawshack

Suggestions for cheap Sauvignon Blanc

Post by Rawshack »

As I avoid the stuff like Venereal Disease, can anyone recommend a Sauvignon under $15 a bottle? Would prefer a barrel ferment style but am aware that beggars can't be choosers ;)

Cheers

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Wine by Brad - Mantra $20 a bottle. Worth the extra spend in my opinion. Had a bottle on the weekend and was really impressed with it.

Or the SSB he does, great drop at $18 a bottle.

http://www.winebybrad.com.au/pages.asp?code=20

ufo

Post by ufo »

I don't know if they are barrell fermented or not but for less then $20, Oyster Bay, Villa Maria Private Bin, Stoneleigh, are great buys and if you chase specials, you can get them as cheap as $13-15

JJap

Post by JJap »

The Ned and Giesen are both good and can be had around that price.

Taswegian

Post by Taswegian »

Normal SB at a cheap price: Secret Stone(nz), Boatshed Bay(nz), Monkey Bay(nz), Alta(ad.hills)
Barrel Ferment at reasonable Price:Catalina Sounds(nz), De Bortoli YV Estate(YV), Moorilla(tas)
Never enough Pinot........but now I have found shiraz

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Use it clean out your drains. That's my suggestion. :)
"It is very hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Samuel Goldwyn

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Taswegian wrote:Normal SB at a cheap price: Secret Stone(nz), Boatshed Bay(nz), Monkey Bay(nz), Alta(ad.hills)
Barrel Ferment at reasonable Price:Catalina Sounds(nz), De Bortoli YV Estate(YV), Moorilla(tas)

Second the Monkey Bay. Tried this at a non wine drinking friends place and it was bloody good.

Mt Riley has been good in the past in this price bracket, but havent tried one for years,

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Shingle Peak all the way

Dunno how cheap it is over there but hits $10 here
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Roscoe wrote:Use it clean out your drains. That's my suggestion. :)

Ha ha, I agree, hence the post!

I have had some delicious barrel fermented stuff - the Gembrook Hill in the Yarra make an awesome SB that's nothing like the usual Malborough fare, but as a rule I avoid it like the plague

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I have had some delicious barrel fermented stuff - the Gembrook Hill in the Yarra make an awesome SB that's nothing like the usual Malborough fare, but as a rule I avoid it like the plague

although i think detect a little bit of wankerism in this comment i will give the benefit and suggest you try Te Mata Cape Crest. Its not cheap but probably the style you are looking for and its bloody good. the cheaper wines in this style can be harsh and to my palate a waste of space

as for 'typical marlb' style. try 08 Astrolabe Awatere. if you arent impressed with that then give up on Marlb Sauvignon Blanc

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Craig(NZ) wrote:

although i think detect a little bit of wankerism in this comment

Do you want a fight? Really, I'm large, know karate and have a bad case of halitosis.

I was merely alluring to the fact that I personally don't care for sauvignon blanc and pointed to Malborough as it's had worldwide success and acclaim

The only reason I pointed to the GH is that it doesn't really taste much like SB

Now, can we have a hug?

griff

Post by griff »

Rawshack wrote:
Craig(NZ) wrote:

although i think detect a little bit of wankerism in this comment

Do you want a fight? Really, I'm large, know karate and have a bad case of halitosis.

I was merely alluring to the fact that I personally don't care for sauvignon blanc and pointed to Malborough as it's had worldwide success and acclaim

The only reason I pointed to the GH is that it doesn't really taste much like SB

Now, can we have a hug?

ROFL! The 'r' instead of the 'd' makes this so funny :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

pfft thats nothing. I fart when i feel threatened (really smelly ones not your stock standard variety) and come from a country with a long line of success playing cricket in the sub continent (well this week anyway) :lol:

Now, can we have a hug?

Thats what Ricky Ponting said to Brett Lee isnt it?? :lol:

Rawshack

Post by Rawshack »

Craig(NZ) wrote:

pfft thats nothing. I fart when i feel threatened (really smelly ones not your stock standard variety) and come from a country with a long line of success playing cricket in the sub continent (well this week anyway) :lol:

Now, can we have a hug?

Thats what Ricky Ponting said to Brett Lee isnt it?? :lol:

Man, I'm a brit and what I (and most of the English Cricket team by all accounts) know about cricket you could write on the back of wine label.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Barrel fermet bit

Catolina Sounds makes a a goody!

Barrel ferment lots

Dog Point Section 94 - is a great wine

However, neither meets your tag of being cheap/inexpensive.

Really like both!
regards

Gavin Trott

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Oh

and please, no fights, farts or hugs!

Thgis is a dignified forum!!! :roll:
regards

Gavin Trott

griff

Post by griff »

Gavin Trott wrote:Barrel fermet bit

Barrel ferment lots

Really like both!

Have you tried the 07 Dog Point? Loved the 06!

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

griff wrote:
Gavin Trott wrote:Barrel fermet bit

Barrel ferment lots

Really like both!

Have you tried the 07 Dog Point? Loved the 06!

cheers

Carl

Not yet!

NZ contingent tried it???

I thought the 06 was stunning, sold a heap, then consumed most of what was left!!! :oops:

Great wine.

Not New Zealand, but the Phi is worth a mention!

Its a style I like a lot, if well done.

BTW Australia is just starting to work on some of these unique and interesting wine styles.

Currently trying very European Pinot Blanc, have samples of two great barrel fermented, 'French Style' for want of a better term, Chenin Blancs.

All great wines, with an edge of difference and sophistication! Big steps being taken, usually by the little boutique guys and not always widely appreciated, but stay tuned!
regards

Gavin Trott

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

yeah i have. its good but personally i prefer an astrolabe or st clair

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Craig(NZ) wrote:

Astrolabe I've tried and like.

St Clair, how are the 2008's? Loved some of the 2007's, but quite hard to get here, even for your neighbourhood wine retailer!
regards

Gavin Trott

Taswegian

Post by Taswegian »

Yeah, tried the 07 DP94, and awesome, more fruit and sexiness than the 06. Just the right amount of oak. Have already sold almost all of my 96 and waiting on allocation.
As for OZ barrel ferment wines, was at th southern whit wine weekend a few weeks back, and was exceptionally surprised to see most Sth Tassie savs all with portions of oak.

Taswegian

Post by Taswegian »

[/quote]st clair
????

I get confused when I try and remember which one I had.

But BF in any?? Can't be more than a coupla percent??

Jules

Post by Jules »

I bought some Castle Rock sauv blanc from WA for $15.99 just to have some. Otherwise it's De Bortoli Sauvignon, or Pouilly Fume for me.

VC's have some interesting French ones for a reasonable price, say $20, and their home label which always used to be made by Selak's was always pretty good, as was Mt Riley.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Confused :?

I'm fairly sure that many of the wines suggested don't meet the criteria of the original questioin; i.e. some barrel fermentation.

If you can verify that the Sauvignons (or blends) being quoted on here are sub-AUD$15 and have a (maybe substantial) barrel ferment component, then I would be interested. However, from looking at the responses to the original question, I'm not sure everyone is answering all parts of the question. Sorry to be pedantic :cry:

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Can't see a way to make a barrel fermented Savvy for under $15 retail, but happy to be proven wrong....for under $10 you have to look at Oxford Landing,which can be found for $6-$8, and for $12-$14 Dom Torzi's La Quattro 08 has some Savvy in it and is really good in an ultra dry style.

Cheers

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Gavin Trott wrote:
Craig(NZ) wrote:

Astrolabe I've tried and like.

St Clair, how are the 2008's? Loved some of the 2007's, but quite hard to get here, even for your neighbourhood wine retailer!

Gavin, if you ever get any St Clair in, let us know. I'm very keen to try it.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

only tried the flagship 08 so far - St Clair Wairau Reserve. Not sure but i think i prefered the 07 version and prefer the 08 Astrolabe Awatere which is my SB of the vintage so far.