Screwcap storage

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Ratcatcher

Screwcap storage

Post by Ratcatcher »

I didn't want to hijack the other screwcap thread down the page.

I did a reorganisation of the cellar last weekend and made a decision for reasons of space and stackability to store my screwcaps upright.

I know that common sense says this is fine and cork sealed bottles are only laid down to keep the cork moist but I want to hear from a good source. ie: better than my high school science knowledge.

Is it categorically true that screwcapped bottles can be stored long term in an upright position?

Christo

Post by Christo »

yep, no need to keep the screwcap moist (as with cork) as i understand it.
c
"You are what u drink!"

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Dunno Ratcatcher. I store a number of screwies upright too, I figured it would be not an issue really, long term issues of 'where the bubble' is aside.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

El Josho

Post by El Josho »

Screwcap bottles upright is A-OK. Unlike cork, there is no need to keep the closure most.
"It wasn't the wine," murmured Mr. Snodgrass, in a broken voice. "It was the salmon."
Charles Dickens, Pickwick Papers

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day.

I'm the originator of the 'other' screwcap post refererred to earlier on, so you may have seen that a fair percentage of my cellar is screwcaps (and growijng). However, purely because of the racking sytem I have (and that the cellar is only half full), I still store all my bottles (screwcap or not) horizontally.

Is there a system (picture cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other) that allows screwcapped wines to be stored vertically, yet still allows easy access to each wine? I suppose it's called a retail shelf :lol: Seriously, I'm interested in this one.

Cheers

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

JF

Post by JF »

You can still have leakers with screwcaps and if you don't store them on their side you'll never know.

Bick

Post by Bick »

JF wrote:You can still have leakers with screwcaps and if you don't store them on their side you'll never know.

Nor will they leak either, presumably.
Cheers,
Mike

JF

Post by JF »

Bick wrote:
JF wrote:You can still have leakers with screwcaps and if you don't store them on their side you'll never know.

Nor will they leak either, presumably.

But would you like to know whether the seal is stuffed or not?