McLaren Vale restaurant suggestions ?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
stope19

McLaren Vale restaurant suggestions ?

Post by stope19 »

Hi All,

I'm a Sydney local who has ended up in Adelaide for the day. The wife is ok with a quick trip to McLaren Vale for the afternoon, if I take her somewhere 'nice' for lunch. It has been years since I was last there. In those days, the Salopian Inn was very good, but that may have changed. Can anyone make any suggestions for restaurants in the area? Either in McLaren Value (or nearby), or at local wineries? I'm looking for something 'better than average', and really need a response in the next couple of hours! Bit of a longshot I know..... <g>

cheers,
dave

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Star of Greece would be my recommendation. Fantastic location overlooking the Gulf.

GravyMaker

Post by GravyMaker »

Not sure if it opens mid week but D'arrys Restaurant at D'Arenberg Winery is good - with view over the vineyard

Brett
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

The Salopian Inn is still very good although Pip has moved on.....The Star of Greece is great for the view but the food is up & down.

stope19

Post by stope19 »

GravyMaker wrote:Not sure if it opens mid week but D'arrys Restaurant at D'Arenberg Winery is good - with view over the vineyard

Brett

Thanks Nayan & Brett,

Have booked at D'arrys. Star of Greece sounded great (found some good reviews) - but would involve a bit of a side tip. Maybe next time..

cheers,
dave

Maroon&Blue

Post by Maroon&Blue »

Hi Dave,

Any chance of some feedback on your D'Arrys visit?

Thanks

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

and if you're after a bit of cheese later in the arvo, go to blessed cheese on the main road in McLaren Vale. you can pick anything & in any number from their fridge and turn it into a deluxe cheese platter. Great portions, and a nice end to the day (esp if you have something nice to drink with it!)

stope19

Post by stope19 »

Maroon&Blue wrote:Hi Dave,

Any chance of some feedback on your D'Arrys visit?

Thanks

Sure. For those not familiar with the place, the restaurant is part of a complex that also houses the tasting room. The building itself is on a hill, providing a very pleasant view into the valley (ie: big view of vineyards). Restaurant/tasting room is clean, well maintained and (IMHO) well staffed.

The restaurant was full, but I found the service 'attentive' without being annoying. The notion of ordering from the menu, then walking next door to the tasting room to decide what wine(s) to have with lunch was a nice touch.

Herself had: Snapper Broth ($15.00) and Wild Boar with Chick Pea smash, Quandong and Pear chutney ($28.50)
I had: Pancetta Wrapped Baked Ricotta with Pear & Rocket Salad & Salsa Verde ($18.00) and Seared Hahndorf Venison Saddle with Daikon Cake, Horse Radish Cream & Blood Plums ($28.50). We shared a side dish of Romano Artichoke & Matured Goat Cheese Green Salad with White Balsamic Dressing ($8.00)

I took her word for the Snapper Broth (good!), but felt that the Wild Boar was a tad dry, and not warm enough. My Pancetta was cut a bit thick for the entree (herself thought it was ok), and I really enjoyed the venison.
Wines: She had The Money Spider Roussanne with the broth, and 'The Sticks & Stones' Tempranillo/Grenache/Souzao with the boar. I went for a sparkling to start (The Peppermint Paddock Chambourcin) and The Ironstone Pressings Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre with the venison. In hindsight, the sparkling was not a great idea, as it seemed very 'simple' and one dimensional. Still, was cool and wet...

All in all, I'd be happy to return. It was a nice, unhurried lunch.

cheers,
dave

craig loves shiraz

Post by craig loves shiraz »

D'Arrys......Overated and predictable.

Nice view but the food style is hardly setting the world on fire. Good food for the "country" though.

Salopian Inn was quite good though it did seem to be "Trying a bit hard" if that makes sense?? Nice but probably over extending themselves.

The Barn was very refreshing. It is what it is. Pretty simple stuff, priced accordingly. Good for all sort of groups from couples to families. Upmarket pub bistro where they take out the beer and add wine... :D
Why do people ruin perfectly good Shiraz by blending it with other varieties? Oh the humanity of it all......

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

I can also give the nod to The Barn, had a seriously good eye fillet steak there back in Nov, plus they have around 70 different Coopers beers to choose from :P

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

winetastic wrote:I can also give the nod to The Barn, had a seriously good eye fillet steak there back in Nov, plus they have around 70 different Coopers beers to choose from :P

Just don't let them decant your wine or an old wine from their list. When we were there in September 2006 we saw one of the owners upend an 87 Eileen Hardy (86 JWT I think), bought from the restaurant list, into a decanter. I swapped some of our wine for a taste later in the night, it might have been a good wine but with all the cloudy/gritty muck well-distributed through the wine it was impossible to tell. :-(
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

GRB

Post by GRB »

Red Bigot wrote:
winetastic wrote:I can also give the nod to The Barn, had a seriously good eye fillet steak there back in Nov, plus they have around 70 different Coopers beers to choose from :P

Just don't let them decant your wine or an old wine from their list. When we were there in September 2006 we saw one of the owners upend an 87 Eileen Hardy (86 JWT I think), bought from the restaurant list, into a decanter. I swapped some of our wine for a taste later in the night, it might have been a good wine but with all the cloudy/gritty muck well-distributed through the wine it was impossible to tell. :-(

85 was the 86 JWT winner, and it is an excellent wine. Had one for xmas lunch :D

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition