How do you cellar your wine?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

My wine collection has filled half my wardrobe, and is now colonising my bedroom floor.

before I break my neck, i'm thinking of shelling out for some storage space at a facility.

Can anyone recommend any places? closest (but far enough that I can't just walk over and raid it randomly) to me is a kennards (?). Has anyone had any experience with them?

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Scanlon wrote:My wine collection has filled half my wardrobe, and is now colonising my bedroom floor.

before I break my neck, i'm thinking of shelling out for some storage space at a facility.

Can anyone recommend any places? closest (but far enough that I can't just walk over and raid it randomly) to me is a kennards (?). Has anyone had any experience with them?

Sarah,

I had nothing but good experiences with Kennards. Close enough to town not make it difficult to get your wine, but awkward enough (due to the wonders of Port Road) to make you think twice (occasionally) about raiding to grab your best bottles. Friendly staff and a fair rental policy too.

N.

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

Nayan wrote:
Scanlon wrote:My wine collection has filled half my wardrobe, and is now colonising my bedroom floor.

Sarah,

I had nothing but good experiences with Kennards. Close enough to town not make it difficult to get your wine, but awkward enough (due to the wonders of Port Road) to make you think twice (occasionally) about raiding to grab your best bottles. Friendly staff and a fair rental policy too.

N.

cool, thanks Nayan :)

ps we miss you in adels!

Hill Of Grace

Post by Hill Of Grace »

Hi all,

I moved into my new digs and we have a cemented sealed under house storage area with shelves fitted (no racking system though).

I have stored my wine in their original boxes and the long term stuff in a styrofoam fruit case which I got when I bought a magnum from Tahbilk, which fits about 18 bottles comfortably.

The temperature in the area is well below outside, and yesterday for instance was 38 outside and down below I would suggest was easily 20 degrees less, although slightly humid. I have ordered a hygrometer/thermometer to verify its "wine friendliness.

I mostly buy "Now to 3 year" prospects as I am a self confessed Stelvin junkie after years of dissapointment from spolied wine which has been nurtued only for the cork to taint it, but I do buy the odd put away for a decade or so and would love to know others opinions on how I am cellaring and what improvements I could make other than a rack system.

I have blocked out the only window and at 5 last night it was black as ink under the house, so there are no light issues. The shelving is on a west facing wall but it is double brick, and the area is extremely well ventilated.

There is a dug out area which would need levelling and cementing but is directly below a Coonara heater which has yet to be used in the first winter, but I would think the wine would be better off next to the west wall than under a Coonara.

Look forward to any suggestions

dazza1968

good

Post by dazza1968 »

Sounds really good 8)
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Hill Of Grace

Post by Hill Of Grace »

OK I have installed the hygrometer and after 2 straight 37 degree days the "cellar" is sitting at 23 degrees with 51% humidity in the open and the polystyrene fruit box was only 1-2 degrees cooler.

Given the last two days are in the extreme and is dark and well ventilated, should this be suitable for an "average Joe and a bit" cellar ?

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Hill Of Grace wrote:OK I have installed the hygrometer and after 2 straight 37 degree days the "cellar" is sitting at 23 degrees with 51% humidity in the open and the polystyrene fruit box was only 1-2 degrees cooler.

Given the last two days are in the extreme and is dark and well ventilated, should this be suitable for an "average Joe and a bit" cellar ?

It depends how long you want to cellar your wines and what temp it gets to after 2 weeks of mid-summer temps. Even 23 is a bit high for cellaring more than about 5 years I would guess.

You might do better with less ventilation unless humidity becomes a problem.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

dazza1968

cooler

Post by dazza1968 »

in my cellar after the first few days of extreme heat , i installed a cooling unit and now 5 years later have never regretted it.
its sits at 18 degrees all year round. have considered a unit down to 14 degrees but in perth it does not seem practical , ground runs at 19.5 so still fighting with the elements , as such...............humidity is always at 70% approx which from what i know is really good IMO :D
Some people slurp it,others swill it,a few sip on it,some gaze at it for hours ,enough now wheres the RED

Hill Of Grace

Post by Hill Of Grace »

Cheers for that advice Red Bigot

I noticed that there is some framing on the other side of the concreted area which is about 2-3 metres further away from the west wall, I may build some shelving and put the lot in styrofoam. We are in the Yarra Valley so we tend to be a few degrees cooler in summer than the burbs.

I have also added a 1 metre tub with 30 cms of water to nudge the humidity a tad.

The only long haul wines I am keeping is a magnum of 1999 Tahbilk CS, a Bin 407, a 2002 Zema CS, 1998 Stocks Shiraz, and some 2001 Cathcart Ridge CS. The rest are looking to be consumed in the next 3 or 4 years.

I will be in the market for some "big" wines next year when I go for my Barossa pilgrimage which I hope to have it all sorted by then.

Shiraz Man

Post by Shiraz Man »

I have my wines stored under my parents' house. Their house is on stumps, and throughout the year the temperature is both cool and fairly constant. It is also dark.

I have been drinking some of my 1998's recently, and yes whilst it was a great vintage, they are drinking beautifully, which indicates the conditions are good.

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

I'm pleased to report my wines are happily ensconced in climate and humidity controlled comfort at kennards now.

Thank god - it's been bloody 30+ for days a week here!

dazza1968

temp

Post by dazza1968 »

Scanlon wrote:I'm pleased to report my wines are happily ensconced in climate and humidity controlled comfort at kennards now.

How warm was your room :?: Peace of mind is a wonderful thing :)

Hill Of Grace

Post by Hill Of Grace »

After 2 normal Yarra Valley spring days the cellar under the house has stabilised at 15 degrees with 69% humidity, with a max of 16 degrees and 69% humidity. :D

river

Post by river »

Most of my wine is stored offsite which offers me peace of mind and the fact I can't get to it in a hurry has been a blessing on more than one occassion.

cush

Post by cush »

griff wrote:Keep in cardboard box (the street people are right - cardboard is an excellent insulator)

but look at how they age :)

Scanlon

Re: temp

Post by Scanlon »

dazza1968 wrote:
Scanlon wrote:I'm pleased to report my wines are happily ensconced in climate and humidity controlled comfort at kennards now.

How warm was your room :?: Peace of mind is a wonderful thing :)

honestly - i don't want to think about it. we have had WEEKS before in that flat where we've had to sleep in the loungeroom, as it's the only one with an aircon, (and irony had it that it was the coolest room in the house?!)

Only prob is now it's a major effort to dig out the vino required for friday's offline! I'm going to be majorly rushed!!

Red Red Wine

Post by Red Red Wine »

For the moment I'm gonna put them under the house until I can build something more suitable or find a cheap ass fridge.

Nayan

Re: temp

Post by Nayan »

Scanlon wrote:Only prob is now it's a major effort to dig out the vino required for friday's offline!

Don't say I didn't warn you! :wink: