Best Shiraz under $15

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
chuckles

Post by chuckles »

Winelover wrote:I did have a bottle of the 05 Jeanneret 'Rank and File' Shiraz on the weekend. Got it direct and while it's over the $15 mark I think it was around $20 thought it was quite well made. Really good body and fruit with undertones of licorice...

Lucky it didn't have Brett or VA ... Glad you enjoyed it!

Winelover

Post by Winelover »

Nope no problems... Have you had issues with this wine? Please let me know as I have the remainder of the case deciding on what I should do...

NeilHK

Post by NeilHK »

The Longhop dozen didn't last long on my recent trip, but it was a terrific drop.
After that ran out I did the rounds and drank a few really enjoyable reds.
Wyndam 555 and Waterwheel Shiraz were both terrific.

Also revisited the latest Wynn's Shiraz and was disappointed; nothing terribly wrong with it, but didn't light me up.

The best red I had though was one I'd never heard of and picked up on a whim: Cimmicky, The Trump/Stump?? Probably got it wrong, but it's something like this .......anyway, it was a ripper for $15.

JONZIE

Post by JONZIE »

d'Arenburg The Stump Jump?

Dr - 307

Post by Dr - 307 »

I found the Footbolt too tannic and drying. Tried it when recommended by a fellow customer at an in store tasting and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.
I found Zonte's Footstep SV to be very likeable, maybe a bit too much viognier but easy drinking and satisfying which is what I look for in sub $15 wines.

Dr - 307.

Shiraz_Freak

Post by Shiraz_Freak »

Check out the Plandri Baldivis Shiraz not sure what year but it's in bottleshops atm and absolute rip snorter at under 10 bux.
"It all tastes like Grange after 2 bottles"

L plater

Post by L plater »

NeilHK wrote:The Longhop dozen didn't last long on my recent trip, but it was a terrific drop.
After that ran out I did the rounds and drank a few really enjoyable reds.
Wyndam 555 and Waterwheel Shiraz were both terrific.

Also revisited the latest Wynn's Shiraz and was disappointed; nothing terribly wrong with it, but didn't light me up.

The best red I had though was one I'd never heard of and picked up on a whim: Cimmicky, The Trump/Stump?? Probably got it wrong, but it's something like this .......anyway, it was a ripper for $15.

Charles Cimicky Trumps Shiraz - haven't tried it myself

Shiraz_Freak

Post by Shiraz_Freak »

The trumps used to be a really good drop but it has dropped off in recent vintages imo
"It all tastes like Grange after 2 bottles"

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

chuckles wrote:
Winelover wrote:I did have a bottle of the 05 Jeanneret 'Rank and File' Shiraz on the weekend. Got it direct and while it's over the $15 mark I think it was around $20 thought it was quite well made. Really good body and fruit with undertones of licorice...

Actually Chuck, I'm going to have to pull you up on this. What do you mean? What is your experience of this wines or others by Jeanneret?

N.

Winelover

Post by Winelover »

Yes, I'd be interested too. We all have a bad experience ow and then but is it something more than this?

chuckles

Post by chuckles »

Nayan wrote:
chuckles wrote:

Actually Chuck, I'm going to have to pull you up on this. What do you mean? What is your experience of this wines or others by Jeanneret?

N.

No worries Nayan, pull with all your might

I have had some serious experience with the wine of Jeanneret

And not all of them good

I applaud Ben's format of native ferment but I have a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't have it completely under control.

Quite often I have seen his wines full of sulphides and more often than not in his Grenache Shiraz, more so than in other wines, I see a huge objectionable level of Brett.

I have a theory on this, I believe that the Brett may have travelled down the road from the cellars at Leasingham Winery.

The non sulphur, extended maceration and I imagine extended natural malo regime only goes to send these wines down the path of Brett and VA.

I may be seeing something in these wines that some others dont.

Having said that I think his Riesling is pretty damn good!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Shiraz_Freak wrote:Check out the Plandri Baldivis Shiraz not sure what year but it's in bottleshops atm and absolute rip snorter at under 10 bux.

drink this regularly is great. great value

seanwines

Post by seanwines »

I once enjoyed the Annies Lane shiraz for every day drinking, but one bad vintage spoiled it for me.
I occasionally buy some recent vintages, but avoid the 02.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

chuckles wrote:
Nayan wrote:
chuckles wrote:

N.

No worries Nayan, pull with all your might

I have had some serious experience with the wine of Jeanneret

And not all of them good

I applaud Ben's format of native ferment but I have a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't have it completely under control.

Quite often I have seen his wines full of sulphides and more often than not in his Grenache Shiraz, more so than in other wines, I see a huge objectionable level of Brett.

I have a theory on this, I believe that the Brett may have travelled down the road from the cellars at Leasingham Winery.

The non sulphur, extended maceration and I imagine extended natural malo regime only goes to send these wines down the path of Brett and VA.

Sorry to crash in on this guys, but...

... I'm interested in Chuckles' comment of the wines being both full of sulphides and brett. I've struck a number of stinky wines under screwcap (less now thankfully), and was wondering how much of the stink was due to excess sulphur trapped by under screwcap, and what was brett due to lack of sulphur/squeaky-clean winemaking processes. It almost seems to sound like you're hedging your bets by nominating both in the case of this winery - or maybe I'm getting confused. :?

I admittedly haven't tried the Grenache Shiraz for a couple of years, but what I did try were recently bottled under screw (a few days) and didn't show any stinky characters (or any bottle shock either) - has something radically changed here, or do you think they're doing radically different sulphur treatments with their reds and/or with different labels?

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Anonymous

yahoooooooooooo

Post by Anonymous »

Shiraz has become a marketing brand for lowcost Australian wine worldwide, much to the chagrin of this country’s competitors. For some reason the Aussie marketing folks deduced that by putting some funky Aussie animal on the label that the wine will sell. But with this less demand i am sure they will have to further reduce the prices.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

chuckles wrote:I have had some serious experience with the wine of Jeanneret

And not all of them good

The barn has some bottles of Denis 02 on the run-out shelves for ~$45 but I think I can get it at a somewhat lower price, even as just a one-bottle taster. Halliday's TN is attractive, including "quality cork" and 94/100 rating.

Who's tried it? Would appreciate your opinion/s.

Cheers

daz

bob parsons

Re: Best Shiraz under $15

Post by bob parsons »

Shiraz Man wrote:Water Wheel Shiraz 2005 is sensational, choc full of flavour, and can be purchased for under $15.00 if you shop around.

This wine year in year out continues to be one of the best red wine bargains in Australia.

I like this thread!! Am having a hard time with some of these big shiraz on the shelves here in Alberta. Need to go back to the basics, have seen Bests and Water Wheel just the other day. One of these should do the trick eh. I was thinking Yalumba "Y" initially.

Bob thanks.

craig loves shiraz

Post by craig loves shiraz »

I'll support the wrap on the Richmond Grove 2002. Top drop though I did pay $17 a bottle but I'm sure the more resourceful of you will get it for $15 or less.

Water Wheel has been consistently one of the best Victorian Shiraz's under $25 for the last 4 or 5 years and the 2005 is no exception.

But my pick will actually fall into the $10 or less a bottle.

Arrowfield Top Acre 2004 Shiraz.

Yes, yes, I know. Big commercial winery producing generally exported bulk wine but this is worth a try. Normally $20 a bottle, but they're doing a 2-for-1 deal on a case at the moment making it $10 a pop. Would of bought it at $20 a bottle. Check out their webite for more info on the deal!

A seriously good value quaffer that belies it's price tag.

bob parsons

Post by bob parsons »

Thanks for the heads up on the `05 Water Wheel. Just opened on our Thanksgiving, was surprised to see 15.5%alc but good fruit balance rounds it all out nicely. Will post back asap.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Not sure if anyone's already mentioned it - didn't want to scan the whole thread again - but Thorn-Clarke's Sandpiper Shiraz is usually very good. Halliday rates the 05 92pts.

bob parsons

Post by bob parsons »

TN: `05 Water Wheel Shiraz Bendigo, Victoria.

SC, 15.5% alc (ouch), $21 Cdn, opened one hour, not decanted.

C. Big rich looking ruby-red, just a slight trace of purple on the rim. Watery edge, not the best of light here today.

N. Licorice scent, black fruits, hint of toast with spice, sweet dried herbs. Nose died overnight, pity.

P. Initial mouthfeel entry is ripe soft tannins, black fruits, raspberry, good fruit balance. No heat here and that high % alc not a problem this time around. Medium to full-bodied, quite approachable. One taster thought "chalky tones with plums and cherry". Fair mid-palate, hints of boysenberry in my mind as it breathes.
Getting tad more jammy as it opens but attractive texture here. Not bad for entry level eh.

** after 24 hrs (and the non descript nose), still quite ripe with the chalky earth. Loads of black fruits stick around, some chocolate as I drained the last glass.