Best Aus CabSav-vintage and brand drinking now

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Partagas

Best Aus CabSav-vintage and brand drinking now

Post by Partagas »

A very open topic for us Cab heads (plenty of us out there). Just want to know the very best Australian Cab Savs you’ve tried lately.
i.e. vintage and make preferably in their best drinking range around now.

Cab Merlot also permitted

Hunter Man

Post by Hunter Man »

Voyager Estate Cab/Merlot 1995, is drinking sublimely right now.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

The 86 John Riddoch I had with Muscat Mike a few months ago was pretty tidy!
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

chillwrx

Post by chillwrx »

97 Maxwell Lime Cave - Poor Vintage, a region not highly regarded for cabernet but an absolutely awsome drink right now.

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

1995 Frankland Estate Olmo's Reward. Just yummy last weekend.

2001 Eagle Vale Reserve Cab/Merlot/Franc/Verdot was even better!

Cheers

Dave

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Had a fantastic 2000 Zema Family Selection CS last night. Drinking beautifully. Went really well with a nice big bloody T-bone.

Others CS that I've had in the last few months that really stand out are -

1998 Rockford CS
1998 Majella CS
1999 Leeuwin Estate Art Series CS
2001 Leeuwin AS CS - even better than the 99.
1996 Goundrey Reserve CS
1998 Lake Breeze CS

I had a 1973 Wynns CS that was interesting too say the least. Improved a little in the glass, but I thought it really was well past it's best.
Currently drinking -

qwertt

Post by qwertt »

Had a really nice 1985 Bin 707 the other night. Decanted for 2 hours after opening a bit on the whiffy side. Came up beautifully and loved every drop I had.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I am at a bit of a disadvantage here as all my wines are back home in Canada. If I were there I expect that either a 1982 Taltarni or a 1988 Peter Lehman would be my best Cabernets. There is the 1986 Pyrus but that is a blend. When I last opened the Pyrus in 2004 I was told that I was "lucky" that it was still drinking well. Unlike the person who said I was "lucky" I do think that some Australian wines age beautifully. Actually a 1988 Bin 707 ought to be the best but I am not going to open it very soon.

Here in Sydney, during my rather longer than expected visit, the best Cabernet I've had, taking into account balance and cellaring potential, would be the 2004 Mildara Coonawarra Cabernet. It is far too young to drink but it screams potential. The back label says that it would reward 6 years of "carefull cellaring" but I would double that at least. Would that it were available at home.

Cheers..........Mahmoud.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

2001 Mitchell Sevenhill Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon - Deep purple in the glass with berry fruit on the nose, pepper spice characters with a sweet oak finish.

A very good wine for the $20-25 price range. This wine is typical of quality Cabernet from the Clare Valley that has had a few years cellaring.

Lee

Post by 707 »

Been trying a few Cabernet back vintages from the cellar over the past couple of weeks, mainly Coonawarra and mainly by myself whilst vegging out with the Foxtel remote in hand.

1998, 1999 & 2000 Majella were all excellent as expected with this label, may have been the night but this time the 1999 was my pick by a bare margin from the other two.

1993 Wynns was a surprise packet, really humming, plenty of blackcurrant and lovely herbal overtones, settling well into mid/late life.

2000 Zema drank well too, underrated in the Coonawarra hierachy IMO
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

fraca01 wrote:2001 Mitchell Sevenhill Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon - Deep purple in the glass with berry fruit on the nose, pepper spice characters with a sweet oak finish.

A very good wine for the $20-25 price range. This wine is typical of quality Cabernet from the Clare Valley that has had a few years cellaring.

Lee

I agree with the label, if not the vintages - at the moment the 1992 & 1994 are absolutely breathtaking, and the 1998 will eclipse them all with enough time in the cellar. The 1999 is a sleeper too and will be almost as good. I thought the 2001 was a bit stinky with the switch to screwcap (something shared by the 2002 Peppertree), but the 2002 is a return to form.

On the Coonawarra front the 1988 John Riddoch was the standout for me last year, followed by the 1998 Jacaranda Ridge. The 1996 Lindemans St George & Pyrus are absolute crackers too.

Of the rest, the 1990 Penfolds Bin 707 would be right up there with the very best too - a couple of years ago I thought it needed more time, but a sample last year was stunningly good.

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

a_kean

Post by a_kean »

Cabs that I have enjoyed recently include Bowen Estate 2001 and Vasse Felix 1999. Both will probably improve a bit more, but were excellent drinking now as well.

Cabs that I have opened and found to be too young include Crofters 2000 and Balnaves 2001.

lantana

Post by lantana »

Anyone tried the Highbank Cab blend 2001? I'm thinking of picking a few bottles up, 1 to drink and 2 to cellar, if anyone knows the wine, how long in the cellar would you recommend?

lantana

Minotaur

Post by Minotaur »

No doubt about it, Wynn's John Riddoch 1982. 8)
Followed by Coldstream Hills Reserve 1992.

Also enjoyed:
Mamre Brook 2004, although young
Plantagenet 1994
Bowen Estate 2000
Petaluma 1991

Billy Bolonski

Post by Billy Bolonski »

1990 Mount Mary
1990 Yeringberg

Head and shoulders above anything else I have tasted recently.

Billy B
Philosophy, I'm in it for the money.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Cullen C/M 2000 should be even better than it was New Year before last.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

lantana wrote:Anyone tried the Highbank Cab blend 2001? I'm thinking of picking a few bottles up, 1 to drink and 2 to cellar, if anyone knows the wine, how long in the cellar would you recommend?

lantana

Lovely wine. Try one now and then decide as you say. I'd say it no danger in cellaring it at least till 2011 (based on my memory of it from a few years ago)
GW

lantana

Post by lantana »

Gary W wrote:
lantana wrote:Anyone tried the Highbank Cab blend 2001? I'm thinking of picking a few bottles up, 1 to drink and 2 to cellar, if anyone knows the wine, how long in the cellar would you recommend?

lantana

Lovely wine. Try one now and then decide as you say. I'd say it no danger in cellaring it at least till 2011 (based on my memory of it from a few years ago)
GW

Thanks GW, shall do

lantana

lantana

Post by lantana »

Gary W wrote:

lantana

GW

Thanks GW, shall do

lantana