Riedel glassware?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Wayno

Riedel glassware?

Post by Wayno »

Having recently received some Riedel riesling glasses as a gift, I have been converted to the benefits of tasting from these glasses as opposed to the bog-standard ISOs etc. Even from these, the subtleties of a run of the mill shiraz were accentuated considerably.

Whilst I appreciate that Riedel do a zillion types of glasses for an equivalently zillionous amount of wines (and water for that matter!) can anyone suggest an 'all-purpose' Riedel glass that works reasonably effectively for most wines?

I recall reading some time back that the Chianti glass was the best all-round fit. Is this the glass that wine-conscious establishments/wine shows stock when they use Riedels? Any other tips/suggestions before I start burning the credit card? Thanks...
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Ian S

Re: Riedel glassware?

Post by Ian S »

Wayno wrote:Having recently received some Riedel riesling glasses as a gift, I have been converted to the benefits of tasting from these glasses as opposed to the bog-standard ISOs etc. Even from these, the subtleties of a run of the mill shiraz were accentuated considerably.

Whilst I appreciate that Riedel do a zillion types of glasses for an equivalently zillionous amount of wines (and water for that matter!) can anyone suggest an 'all-purpose' Riedel glass that works reasonably effectively for most wines?

I recall reading some time back that the Chianti glass was the best all-round fit. Is this the glass that wine-conscious establishments/wine shows stock when they use Riedels? Any other tips/suggestions before I start burning the credit card? Thanks...

Yes, similar comments on the Chianti glass have been posted on the UK forums.
There's a number of ranges, from the Sommelier at the top (don't even look at the price tag :shock: ); through Vinum (we've got mostly these); Ouverture and restaurant specials (there may be other ranges).

Vinums will break, generally in the clouded haze of the late morning washing up routine - accidentally bashed against the tap. Bank on losing maybe 1 a year this way, which I find acceptable.

Other makes such as Schott-Zweisel (sp?) have got good reviews and offer a cheaper option.

A final thought. The Uk Wine Pages forum recently contacted Riedel direct to place a restaurant quality order in. Done in quantity (which they certainly achieved!) the rate per glass was excellent. Not sure if the demand is the same on this forum (or whether it would cause Gavin any issues) but it might be worth thinking about...

regards

Ian

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Agreed, the Chianti glass is a pretty good allrounder if you must choose only one glass, altohugh its not the greatest success with pinot noir. I use the vinum shiraz glass (well, a copy in the same shape) as an all rounder, same shape but bigger. Having said that, rieslings get lost in a glass this size.

Split the difference and buy both...

AB

MartinE

Post by MartinE »

Wizz wrote:Agreed, the Chianti glass is a pretty good allrounder if you must choose only one glass, altohugh its not the greatest success with pinot noir. I use the vinum shiraz glass (well, a copy in the same shape) as an all rounder, same shape but bigger. Having said that, rieslings get lost in a glass this size.

Split the difference and buy both...

AB

I've got quite a few Vinum...No breakages yet because I just leave them with water in and wash-up in the morning!

Having also been to a couple of Riedel tastings (which are a good way to get Riedels cheap), I have no doubt they do significantly enhance the wine, mainly on the nose but also to a lesser degree on the palate.

Your riesling glasses, if Vinum, would be #416/15 which are exactly the same glass as the Zinfandel/Chianti
Classico/Sangiovese/Beaujolais/Primitivo etc glasses. It is also virtually identical to the Esse glasses which used to be available cheap at Myer (now called something else?) which I use as my everyday glasses.

IMO, apart from these, the other Riedels to get from the huge range are the big Shiraz/Syrah/CNDP/Grenache glasses #416/30 and the Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo/Gamay glasses #416/7. If you are really keen you can add the #416/75 big bowl Chardonnay glasses. The Bordeaux glasses #416/0 are sort of halfway between the Chianti/Riesling glasses and the Shiraz glasses so I don't really think they are worth it.

cheers,

M.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I've only broken one Riedel Vinum in three years. And my set is used extensively. Be careful and you won't have problems.

Riedel have come out with a new glass called the Magnum. This is the one they've used for the shows in New Zealand to replace the ISOs and I believe it's the same glass they've substituted in Australia as well. Kind of a cross between an ISO, a beer glass and a vinum syrah (?).

These are a great deal cheaper than your standard vinum range as well. As in a quarter the price in parts. So you could always use these as your run of the mill and then break out the special vinums for whatever wine variety you consume the most (Burgundy glass if pinotphile, otherwise vinum syrah/bordeaux in reds).

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

roughred

Post by roughred »

Agree with Max re the Magnum.

In Australia I have only seen the Magnum available to the on-premise trade, but I expect they would be available to the general public through some outlets. Should be available for not much more than $10.

Great all-rounder, and pretty hard to break.

LL

Adair

Post by Adair »

Well, I have broken what seems like dozens of Riedel Vinum glasses but I will continue to buy the:

* Riedel Vinum Chianti Classico / Grand Cru Riesling / Sangiovese / Beaujolais / Primitivo / Zinfandel / etc. - the 416/15 - for all my whites; and the

* Riedel Vinum Shiraz 416/30 - for all my reds, including Pinot Noir - I have some Vinum Burgundy / Pinot Noir (416/7), and although I can perceive differences in the same wine, neither convey a better quality or experience

...as they are brilliant.

However, due to the cost of breakage, I now only use them when with other wine lovers or on my own. I have some excellent David Jones copies for everyday use.

Kind regards,
Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Adair

Post by Adair »

I can't find the Magnum series on the Riedel website: http://www.riedel.com/website/english/f ... meset.html

Off the point, check out the new Pink Champagne glass - http://www.riedel.com/website/english/f ... epink.html :D :shock: :?

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

my friends knock my riedels on the floor yet they dont break

i put it down to my habit of dishwashing them. I feel that they are strengthened in their resolve

i never put my riedels next to ugly paintings either as it taints the wine
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

MartinE

Post by MartinE »

Adair wrote:I can't find the Magnum series on the Riedel website: http://www.riedel.com/website/english/f ... meset.html

Off the point, check out the new Pink Champagne glass - http://www.riedel.com/website/english/f ... epink.html :D :shock: :?

Adair

I think the magnum are on-premise trade only but I'm sure you could get them through your friendly restaurant or restaurant supplier.

BTW That pink "flute" is weird...Looks like a nice beer glass though...

M.

lantana

Post by lantana »

Adair wrote:Off the point, check out the new Pink Champagne glass - http://www.riedel.com/website/english/f ... epink.html :D :shock: :?

Adair

Nice cause, ridiculous glass :shock: :?

lantana

MartinE

Post by MartinE »

MartinE wrote:I think the magnum are on-premise trade only but I'm sure you could get them through your friendly restaurant or restaurant supplier.

Correction...My Riedel brochure tells me the Magnum is the basic red glass from the lower end Overture Range which you don't see much around here...It looks to have the same bowl as the Vinum #416/90 Brunello glass but with a shorter stem.

I'm sure there is also an on-premise cheaper range.

M.

silkwood

Post by silkwood »

Is anyone interested in a group buy? I'm sure it could be arranged through a trade supplier or direct from the distributor (Ambient Australia).

If enough people want to select one or two models perhaps we can organise pricing? Not sure how we could arrange for pick-up in each state, but this was organised on another forum I belong to (we purchased clamps from the US for woodwork) relatively simply. Any Interest and suggestions about how to go about it?

Cheers,

Mark

Adair

Post by Adair »

I like the idea. I would be up for the 416/15 and 416/30, although I have no idea how to go about it.
Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd be in on a bulk buy too, for what it's worth.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Nick

Post by Nick »

For my two cents worth, we're currently using our Reidel Vinum Shiraz more or less constantly for reds, and Vinum Chardonnay for whites. While the hand-washing is a pain in the butt, we've so far only broken two in 5 years or so.

Certainly enhances the enjoyment for mine, and I certainly notice the difference when we're bouncing around between cellar doors. Those cellar doors that have started using basic restaurant Reidels rather than basic tasting glasses are doing their wines a lot more justice.

Cheers
Nick

silkwood

Post by silkwood »

Perhaps we can persuade Gavin :) to get some approximate pricing for say 416/15 & 416/30? Then we can start putting in requests. If enough interest is shown the price may then drop?

Cheers,

Mark

beef

Post by beef »

I'm in for some 416/30 and some 416/0 if the price is right.

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

silkwood wrote:Is anyone interested in a group buy? I'm sure it could be arranged through a trade supplier or direct from the distributor (Ambient Australia).

If enough people want to select one or two models perhaps we can organise pricing? Not sure how we could arrange for pick-up in each state, but this was organised on another forum I belong to (we purchased clamps from the US for woodwork) relatively simply. Any Interest and suggestions about how to go about it?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

I would be. We can talk about it at the offline.

Regards

Nayan

smithy

Restaurant range

Post by smithy »

8) We have been using the Riedel Restaurant range Magnum glass at our Celllardoor for some time for our wineclub members.

Awesome glasses!
We don't make a Pinot and for proper reds they are a fantastic all round glass. They are OK for wooded white burgundy styles...Marsanne and Chardonnay though I woudn't for riesling.

I now blend with them and I'm a convert!!!!
They are hard on green/ dirty under-ripe charachters, and I find I'm blending to a different result using them. Just wish wine judges and winewriters would use them!

From Ambient Australia they are <$10 a stem.
Sensational value.

Cheers
Smithy
home of the mega-red

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

I agree with Smithy..first time for everything :D
I use the Riedel restaurant range glasses at home for everyday (and tasting). They are very good. About $6 a glass. Crystal too.

GW

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Maximus wrote:I've only broken one Riedel Vinum in three years. And my set is used extensively. Be careful and you won't have problems.

Riedel have come out with a new glass called the Magnum. This is the one they've used for the shows in New Zealand to replace the ISOs and I believe it's the same glass they've substituted in Australia as well. Kind of a cross between an ISO, a beer glass and a vinum syrah (?).

These are a great deal cheaper than your standard vinum range as well. As in a quarter the price in parts. So you could always use these as your run of the mill and then break out the special vinums for whatever wine variety you consume the most (Burgundy glass if pinotphile, otherwise vinum syrah/bordeaux in reds).

Cheers,

I think this is the glas that will be used at Brisbane (RNA) judging in 2007.

Glasses used for the trade and Public tasting will remain as the ISO.

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

scuzzii

Post by scuzzii »

I have both the Cabernet and Shiraz Vinum. I can't go back to using others. For me the shiraz vinum really enhances the wine. The shape of the cabernet is probably more widely available in other brands so if you could only afford one set, get the Shiraz. Preference would be to suggest getting both Cabernet and Shiaz Vinums. (and pour from the Riedel Duck Decanter... :lol: ...)

As a matter a fact, I've got one now..
Regards,
John

You're dead a long time..