Seppelt St Peters 02

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
platinum

Seppelt St Peters 02

Post by platinum »

I Keep hearing great things about this wine does anyone know when it's due to be released?

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Someone will probably correct me, but I was under the impression that the '01 St Peters wasn't released until late last year, which would mean another six months at least until release for the '02.

By the way, had the '01 St Peters a couple weeks back. Nose was a little closed and unfortunately the wine wasn't given enough air time. Based on what I smelt and tasted, I prefer the 2000 which to me is a lot richer and fuller bodied, but will have to compare fairly with a properly decanted '01 in the not so distant future.

Cheers
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

I believe the 02 St Peters and 03 Chalambar should be released this month (March). One online merchant is taking orders for the Chalambar 2003, released 18 March. You may have to be on very good terms with your favourite wine retailer to get any/much of the St Peters 2002.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Bob

Post by Bob »

Red Bigot wrote:I believe the 02 St Peters and 03 Chalambar should be released this month (March).

I was just reading a retailer's introductory TNs on the 01 St Peters and 02 Chalambar, both dated 9 Dec 04, and they said the Chalambar "bottle tasted was a pre release sample". Southcorp must be desperate to sell whatever they can earlier this year. Are they trying to build up sales because of the takeover bid?
Cheers,
Bob
The best opinions, like the best wines, are well balanced.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Bob wrote:I was just reading a retailer's introductory TNs on the 01 St Peters and 02 Chalambar, both dated 9 Dec 04, and they said the Chalambar "bottle tasted was a pre release sample". Southcorp must be desperate to sell whatever they can earlier this year. Are they trying to build up sales because of the takeover bid?

The 02 Chalambar was sold out some weeks ago now, Seppelts have managed to successfully move 4 vintages of Chalambar and 3 vintages of St Peters in about a year or 18 months, with the help of some special prices and bonus bundles for some of the earlier vintages, but not the 2002. I bet the rest of Southcorp wish they too could move a few back vintages clogging up their warehouses and the distribution chain.

The 03 Chalambar is already getting "better than 2002" reviews, so you may have to get in quick at prices around $20 or under.
Cheers
Brian

Popov

Post by Popov »

Platinum,

The reports I have heard agree with Brian in that the 02 St Peters is due for release on or near 21/3 and that there will be not much at all around.
Reports for the 03 Chalambar (March) and 03 St Peters (apparently due for release in Sept) have also been very good.

Cheers
Popov

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Is there any chance of the 02 St Peters under screwcap? If not, why not :wink:

cheers,

David M.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

The St Peters 02 is released, I've had an email from a Sydney retailer whose stock arrived today.
Cheers
Brian

Bobsi

Post by Bobsi »

Just one bottle please Red Bigot im not greedy :)

Post by Guest »

It all sold in 10-15 minutes!

RB

Festival

Post by Festival »

Thank you Red Bigot.

Andrew
He who sips and runs away, gets to sip another day

Post by Guest »

Oliver gave it 98 points Could it be another Petaluma Coonawarra 1998 :?: Worth nowhere near 98 points :!:

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Oliver gave it 98 points Could it be another Petaluma Coonawarra 1998 :?: Worth nowhere near 98 points :!:

Explain?!....

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Oliver gave it 98 points Could it be another Petaluma Coonawarra 1998 :?: Worth nowhere near 98 points :!:

Nice try to hose down the market. :roll: Love that 98 Petaluma Coonawarra. :lol:

Post by Guest »

Worth his highest score ever :?:

Murray

Post by Murray »

So; you've tried it have you?

Try other opinions from others who have:

Top Trophy Winner at Canberra;

95 points Campbell;

and I, in an editted extract from a tasting at the winery that I paid my own way to, from and for, described as
Tasted from finished bottle. Rich palate showing a stunning purity of fruit quality that I've rarely tasted in a young wine. The wine demonstrates fruit picked with the right degree of ripeness. The quality oak is playing supporting role to the wine, great balance and breadth with fine-grained medium tannins before a great long finish. This is a stunning wine by any standard, and will, amazingly, will get better with age.

Check around others who have tried it and are brave enough to express an opinion as well.
Murray Almond

MartinE

Post by MartinE »

Murray wrote:

So; you've tried it have you?

Try other opinions from others who have:

Top Trophy Winner at Canberra;

95 points Campbell;

and I, in an editted extract from a tasting at the winery that I paid my own way to, from and for, described as
Tasted from finished bottle. Rich palate showing a stunning purity of fruit quality that I've rarely tasted in a young wine. The wine demonstrates fruit picked with the right degree of ripeness. The quality oak is playing supporting role to the wine, great balance and breadth with fine-grained medium tannins before a great long finish. This is a stunning wine by any standard, and will, amazingly, will get better with age.

Check around others who have tried it and are brave enough to express an opinion as well.

Tasted at WineOz....Outstanding and the best St Peters yet IMO.

M.

Murray

Post by Murray »

MartinE wrote:
Murray wrote:

Tasted at WineOz....Outstanding and the best St Peters yet IMO.

M.

See?
Murray Almond

fred

Post by fred »

Tasted- hell two of us drank a bottle, after "tasting" at Seppelts dinner November 2004: clearly the best potential St Peters/Gt Western yet.....

fred

MartinE

Post by MartinE »

fred wrote:Tasted- hell two of us drank a bottle, after "tasting" at Seppelts dinner November 2004: clearly the best potential St Peters/Gt Western yet.....

fred

Glad to see you're still one-upping me, Fred !! :lol:

fred

Post by fred »

MartinE wrote:[Glad to see you're still one-upping me, Fred !! :lol:

Martin,

No contact for long time - but if you are coming to Sydney, would be delighted to catch up with you.

THE wine is good - I had heard a release date of late April /early May but perhaps earlier?

Few good things knocked off recently but the boss now has rennovation plans so we may become domestic (-ated) types at least as regards foreign climes.

regards,

fred

fred

Post by fred »

Martin,

No contact for long time - but if you are coming to Sydney, would be delighted to catch up with you.

THE wine is good - I had heard a release date of late April /early May but perhaps earlier?

Few good things knocked off recently but the boss now has rennovation plans so we may become domestic (-ated) types at least as regards foreign climes.

regards,

fred

Post by Guest »

fred wrote:THE wine is good - I had heard a release date of late April /early May but perhaps earlier?

Speed-reading and missed the early part of this thread, fred? :wink: It's already arrived and sold out at one Sydney retailer, Melbourne retailers should have stock arriving from around 16-18 March.

Cheers
RB

MartinE

Post by MartinE »

fred wrote:

Martin,

regards,

fred

Thx Fred ... I'll bear it in mind for when we're down in the Big Smoke.

M.

Marino

Post by Marino »

Interestingly, Halliday rates the 2002 vintage in Grampians as a 7, compared to 8 for 2000 and 2001, and 9 for 2003, and nearby regions have 2002 vintages as 8 or 9 out of 10. Wonder how the vineyard by the railway line that is used for St Peters fared during 2002?

Post by Guest »

Marino wrote:Interestingly, Halliday rates the 2002 vintage in Grampians as a 7, compared to 8 for 2000 and 2001, and 9 for 2003, and nearby regions have 2002 vintages as 8 or 9 out of 10. Wonder how the vineyard by the railway line that is used for St Peters fared during 2002?

langtons claim that 02 grampians is a 10/10. (it also gives 10 /10 to hog & pennie grange)

see below
http://www.langtons.com.au/tools/tool_vintage_chart.asp

christo

Post by Guest »

Gosh! Langton also raves about '98 proclaimming it as Vintage of the Century. Talk the talk and tell them to take a hike!!!

Post by Guest »

Great Vintage!

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Gosh! Langton also raves about '98 proclaimming it as Vintage of the Century. Talk the talk and tell them to take a hike!!!

98 was a super vintage.Just go and enjoy some for yourself albeit alot are still too youthfull.Its amazing how its often fashionable to knock the best.I bet you are anti-American too.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Gosh! Langton also raves about '98 proclaimming it as Vintage of the Century. Talk the talk and tell them to take a hike!!!

98 was a super vintage.Just go and enjoy some for yourself albeit alot are still too youthfull.Its amazing how its often fashionable to knock the best.I bet you are anti-American too.