The Aussie Fortified Thread…

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Con J

Re: The Aussie Fortified Thread…

Post by Con J »

Few more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Con J wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:55 pm A few more.

Cheers Con.
Would be interesting to know who the winemaker and/or winery was for the Chiltern church tawny.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Con, what are the white labelled Wynns bottles...early 60s Cabs or old Hermitages?
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Con J

Post by Con J »

I’ve got 1957 Claret somewhere the mess I call a cellar now.

The 60 was a recent purchase from Cellarit with a 1997 Best’s TFS.

Cheers Con.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Brilliant, 1958 and 1960...that's history in a glass!
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Con J

Post by Con J »

phillisc wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:01 am Brilliant, 1958 and 1960...that's history in a glass! No
Cheers Craig
I’ll put Malcolm and your name on these :wink:.
I feel a special Wynn’s event coming soon.

Cheers Con.

Con J

Post by Con J »

Opening the 54 this Saturday with the Auswine group.

Love the price.

Cheers Con.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Pop and pour Con, or open a few days before ?
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Con J

Post by Con J »

The usual prep, quick double decant to get rid off the sediment, leave bottle open to breath.

Looking forward to this.

Cheers Con.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

mychurch wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:15 am Pop and pour Con, or open a few days before ?
Stand the bottle for 2-3 days as there no doubt will be substantial pigment sediment. Also, if the wine has had substantial ageing in wood, it will be more oxygen-stable (capable of a few hours breathing after double decant ) than if its been a few years in oak and many years in bottle. In this case I'd do any breathing in the glass as it will oxidise relatively quickly. Happy drinking.

scribbler

Post by scribbler »

1988 Stanton and Killeen Vintage Port 18.2%
Rutherglen, 100% Shiraz, vintage rated as 8.5/10 by the winemaking team
I’m lucky enough to have purchased this recently at auction for $35 (yes, less than $1 per year), with a decent cork and its sediment demands a decant. Very deep black red colour, with definite bricking. Black cherry, plum, blackberry with some chocolates. Sweet but not one-dimensional, there’s some red fruits in the mix with the dark, and a touch of marzipan. Brandy spirit has integrated beautifully, and I can’t see an upside in waiting, as this is downright delicious now, albeit with more time up its sleeve.

1987 Peter Lehman “the king” AD 2008 (Vintage Port) 18.5%
Barossa Valley. Mainly Shiraz with some Cabernet Sauvignon. Unusual, embossed bottle, with all the detail on the back.
Confusion as the AD is meant to be peak drinking as a 21-year old. Anyway, a sneaky auction buy last year for $29- pretty smart for a 37yo.
Hefty sediment, dense colour with minor bricking. Dark cherry, roses, liquorice, blackberry and blackcurrant and amazing high-quality brandy spirit. Soft and mellow, but still tannin sneaking away. Absolutely a winner, with time ahead.

saturn5519

Post by saturn5519 »

scribbler wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:07 pm 1988 Stanton and Killeen Vintage Port 18.2%
Rutherglen, 100% Shiraz, vintage rated as 8.5/10 by the winemaking team
I’m lucky enough to have purchased this recently at auction for $35 (yes, less than $1 per year), with a decent cork and its sediment demands a decant. Very deep black red colour, with definite bricking. Black cherry, plum, blackberry with some chocolates. Sweet but not one-dimensional, there’s some red fruits in the mix with the dark, and a touch of marzipan. Brandy spirit has integrated beautifully, and I can’t see an upside in waiting, as this is downright delicious now, albeit with more time up its sleeve.

1987 Peter Lehman “the king” AD 2008 (Vintage Port) 18.5%
Barossa Valley. Mainly Shiraz with some Cabernet Sauvignon. Unusual, embossed bottle, with all the detail on the back.
Confusion as the AD is meant to be peak drinking as a 21-year old. Anyway, a sneaky auction buy last year for $29- pretty smart for a 37yo.
Hefty sediment, dense colour with minor bricking. Dark cherry, roses, liquorice, blackberry and blackcurrant and amazing high-quality brandy spirit. Soft and mellow, but still tannin sneaking away. Absolutely a winner, with time ahead.
Nice to get bargains.You can't go wrong with any fortified that comes from Rutherglen.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

6E601D26-E3E7-4634-9B7D-7B56A06AD0DF.jpeg
Lovely Tawny. It does not have the silkiness and glycerin of a top Fortified, but there is a lovely pepperiness on the finish. Not sweet, just red fruits and some dark sugar. Lovely wine
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

saturn5519

Post by saturn5519 »

Old fortifieds are nectar of the gods.

scribbler

Post by scribbler »

2002 Stanton and Killeen Vintage Fortified 18.1%
29% Shiraz, 25% touriga, 20% durif, 12% tinta cao, 12% tinta barocca, 2% tinta roriz (served masked)
Deep black/red colour with some bricking. Mocha, spices, creaminess, excellent spirit integration, and dark blackberry. Palate is packed with liquorice and aniseed, and fruitcake spices. Vintage port style, but It was certainly sweeter than Portuguese models. I suspected touriga inputs alongside Shiraz, and age around 25 years. Stanton and Killeen rate the vintage as very good with an 8/10 rating.
After the wine was unmasked, I was disappointed that marque’s usual depth, complexity, and drinking pleasure was less than expected. A sound wine, but lacking the expected thrills.

2000 Stanton and Killeen vintage fortified 17.7%
Rutherglen 38% Touriga, 24% tinta cao, 18% tinta barocca, 14% Shiraz, 6% Durif (served masked)
Vintage rated 8/10 by the winemakers.
Morello cherry, redcurrant, wild raspberry fruitcake spices and some almond. VP style for sure. Palate has red and dried fruits, red fruits, milk chocolate and excellent spirit. The wine is fresh, and light on its feet. Sweetish, and around twenty years old, Australian. Touriga makes a contribution – maybe Stanton and Killeen? Very good wine!

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

scribbler wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm 2000 Stanton and Killeen vintage fortified 17.7%
Rutherglen 38% Touriga, 24% tinta cao, 18% tinta barocca, 14% Shiraz, 6% Durif (served masked)
Vintage rated 8/10 by the winemakers.
Morello cherry, redcurrant, wild raspberry fruitcake spices and some almond. VP style for sure. Palate has red and dried fruits, red fruits, milk chocolate and excellent spirit. The wine is fresh, and light on its feet. Sweetish, and around twenty years old, Australian. Touriga makes a contribution – maybe Stanton and Killeen? Very good wine!
Thanks Scribbler

I have a few of the 2000s in the cellar (DIL's birth year). Good to hear it's travelling well.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Has anyone had one of the Penfolds Grandfather port from 1945?

I think it was the second vintage made.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

saturn5519

Post by saturn5519 »

No unfortunatelyYes it was the second and bottled the day after the moon landing in July 1969.

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

I have had one, with the type-written label. I'm not 100% sure of provenance, but I found it to be dominated by spirit - of reasonable quality nonetheless.

Vinoo

Post by Vinoo »

I had an Orlando 1983 and St Hallett 1954 recently. Both very good fills, well into neck. Perfect corks. Orlando was very complex and nuanced but a bit truncated on the finish, grew with a few days of air time. St Hallett was very sweet and more than hanging in there, but one dimensional and dominated by star anise.
The drinker formerly known as Alex F