Standish Mailer

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
I Love Shiraz

Standish Mailer

Post by I Love Shiraz »

Anyone purchase wine in the Standish annual mailer today?

I was able to purchase wine 45 minutes after the mailer opened up on the Standish website. Not quite the feeding frenzy of Giaconda or Sami Odi, reflecting the high price points and greater production levels than the other two.

I purchased 2 x Lamella and 2 x Shubert Theorem.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

jminas

Re: Standish Mailer

Post by jminas »

Yeah I jumped on about 10mins after the receiving the email.

2 x Lamella
2 x Shubert
1 x Standish

Checked periodically during the day and everything was still available. No need for my hastiness!

AUew

Post by AUew »

I Love Shiraz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:40 pm Anyone purchase wine in the Standish annual mailer today?

I was able to purchase wine 45 minutes after the mailer opened up on the Standish website. Not quite the feeding frenzy of Giaconda or Sami Odi, reflecting the high price points and greater production levels than the other two.

I also noticed that Standish wines are not as popular as before in recent years. Even the auction price of the Lamella dropped quite substantially compared to few years ago. I don't know should I call it over-priced but the quality of Standish is always good.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

AUew wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:36 am
I Love Shiraz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:40 pm Anyone purchase wine in the Standish annual mailer today?

I also noticed that Standish wines are not as popular as before in recent years. Even the auction price of the Lamella dropped quite substantially compared to few years ago. I don't know should I call it over-priced but the quality of Standish is always good.
I wonder if it’s the price point (meaning people are buying smaller allocations in the current environment) or something else? In prior years some wines have sold out faster than others. I just jumped online again as was curious and looks like all 4 are still available.

Cheers Ed

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I know $125 is a lot of money for a bottle of Barossa Shiraz, but when you compare the quality of Dan's wines to many others at similar and higher price points it becomes a bit of a bargain.
I have been going to the Barossa a couple of times a year for over 20 years and I can't think of a better range of wines at similar price points. Probably only Sami-Odi piques my interest like Standish does. Absolutely amazing Barossa Shiraz. I'd love to be able to afford to buy 6 packs of each but I save my pennies all year waiting for the Standish (and Sami Odi) releases. I only buy the Lamella and Schubert Therom these days. I am going for a tasting with Dan in June and if either of the other two appeal to me, I'll dig deep.
Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Alan Foo

Post by Alan Foo »

Yes,
1 X Schubert
1 X Lamella

Cheers
Alan

Teisto

Post by Teisto »

Bought a dozen this year

4 x Lamella
4 x Schubert
2 x Standish
2 x Relic

Given another relatively strong vintage went the dozen. Have been buying since 2006 vintage and was mainly a half dozen most years.

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

VinoEd wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:19 pm

I wonder if it’s the price point (meaning people are buying smaller allocations in the current environment) or something else? In prior years some wines have sold out faster than others. I just jumped online again as was curious and looks like all 4 are still available.

Cheers Ed
I just wonder whether that cult wine space, a lot of it driven by Instagram, is now quite crowded.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

I Love Shiraz wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:53 pm

Cheers Ed
I just wonder whether that cult wine space, a lot of it driven by Instagram, is now quite crowded.
It’s a good call. Lots of cult wines around and finite pools of consumer dollars.

I’m not complaining. If it means I can access the relatively modest amount I’m happy with each year - good outcome.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I Love Shiraz wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:53 pm

Cheers Ed
I tend to agree, albeit wines like Standish predate instagram by a decade plus and were already popular. There are some that pop up on social media frequently and now get rave reviews on this board and elsewhere. Some of them are quite average for my tastes. Others are excellent and deserve the kudos, especially those that come from established / mature vineyards.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I got the Standish email at 0430 Hong Kong time and was about to depart. As much as I was keen to pull the trigger I didn’t. I had a suitcase full of Italian Barolo bought for cheaper. Being back on the international buying game makes Australian purchases heavily scrutinised and I figured I have plenty of Shiraz.

AUew

Post by AUew »

Anyone can access the wine advocate? May someone post the review of the Standish 2022 release here? Thanks a lot

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

Erin Larkin's video on the 22's is out

https://youtu.be/E4dkaGiVFtw

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

AUew wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:22 pm Anyone can access the wine advocate? May someone post the review of the Standish 2022 release here? Thanks a lot
Wine Advocate scores for 2022 Standish:
Lamella - 100
Schubert - 98+
Relic - 98+
Standish - 98

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Mine arrived this week.
Picked up 8 bottles. 3 each of the Relic and Standish, 1 each of the others.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

Croquet King wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:53 pm Mine arrived this week.
Picked up 8 bottles. 3 each of the Relic and Standish, 1 each of the others.
I went the opposite, 3 each Schubert and Lamellar, 1 each the others.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

I finally gave in and got 2x Lamella and 1x The Standish
------------------------------------
Sam

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

100 pts for the Lamella, I'd reckon that will sell out quickly now.

Very glad I got a 6 pack of Lamella and a 6 pack of Schubert.
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

mjs

Post by mjs »

3 x Schubert
3 x Standish

arrived this week :D
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

Erin Larkin reviews Aussie stuff for ERP site, she gave the Lamella 100 points. If you are intending to flip, then clearly that's the one to buy. If you are intending to actually cellar and drink, go for a spread across the board.... IMO she is, at best, very hit and miss.

Vinoo

Post by Vinoo »

I had a bottle of the Lamella and it was absolutely astounding on day 2. Went back for more.
The drinker formerly known as Alex F

mjs

Post by mjs »

Just added

3 x 2022 Lamella

to my previous Schubert and Standish order
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I got my usual six packs of Lamella, Standish and Schubert. The Relic hasn’t ever done it for me.