Tasmania recommendations

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Tasmania recommendations

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

My partner and I are looking to spend a couple of weeks in Tasmania late September, and I would like some recommendations on where to visit, where to eat and drink and where to stay. It's not only a wine tour, there will be some non-wine tourism as well!

I've reviewed previous posts on the Forum on this subject. So far, on the winery front, we're looking at:

Pooley
Moorilla Estate (and MONA)
Josef Chromy (as a lunch option)
Freycinet Vineyards (while visitng the national park)

We also intend to visit (and possibly stay at) Stillwater in Launceston.

Can I have your suggestions, please?

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

A_Steady

Re: Tasmania recommendations

Post by A_Steady »

While in the Freycinet area Devils corner have a lovely outlook and worth stopping in for a look (wines not so much.)Also consider visiting Springvale

In Hobart Glaetzer-Dixon is well worth a visit and Home hill down south of Hobart is great and has a restaurant
While in Launceston consider Black Cow Bistro for steak, Cataract on Patterson, The Mud Bar, Grain at the silos, and Rupert & Hound

On the east Tamar I suggest Apogee, great sparkling and a Pinot. If you like sparking. Janz wine room do a good paid tasting, and nearby Kreglinger/Pipers Brook estate are worth a visit - they have Nadine’s cafe for a lunch stop

People seem impressed by Sinupus wines and Delamere. There is also Bay of fires/House of Aaras and Clover Hill

On the west Tamar, Stoney Rise, Moores Hill and Marion’s would be my picks

Further west Ghost Rock near Port Sorell also has a restaurant

Further West again the Hellyers Road Whisky distillery does tours, tastings and good lunches

ticklenow1

Re: Tasmania recommendations

Post by ticklenow1 »

I’ve been to most of the wineries around the Barnbougle golf course and the pick for me was Sinapius. None of the others really impressed me though Pipers Brook was probably the next best.

Stoney Rise would surely be worth a visit. The Holyman Chardonnay is one of the best from Tasmania.
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?