So what wines are on the Xmas menu this year?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
VinoEd

So what wines are on the Xmas menu this year?

Post by VinoEd »

I’m heading back to Adelaide for family Christmas, so will grab a few different bottles of sparkling, white and red from the cellar to contribute to the festivities. I haven’t quite landed the selections yet, however thinking some sparkling red, 10+ year old Riesling (SA) and Chardonnay (WA), and likely a couple of reds - will decide once the weather forecast becomes clear - and a fortified, also to be determined (however I don’t have a huge range so happy to take any recommendations).

What are others thinking and any favourites you wheel out each year?

Cheers Ed

felixp21

Re: So what wines are on the Xmas menu this year?

Post by felixp21 »

Big family gathering, 20 adults plus kids, so about 4-5 of each of these:

Rodez Champagne NV Cuvee de Crayeres
Leeuwin Estate LEAS 2010 chardonnay
Matrot 2014 Meursault Perrieres
Giant Steps 2020 Applejack Pinot Noir
Climens 2009

experience tells me to keep them pretty young and bright, which the above all are. It also tells me we will pretty much drink beer from about 5pm until midnight, so catering for about a bottle each is about right. :D

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Sounds like some very good drinking happening guys.

I have on the list for Xmas:

2008 seppelt show reserve sparkling red
2019 bests sparkling Shiraz
NV charles heidsieck brut reserve
2014 Mount Mary Chardonnay
Vintage Bellebonne sparkling rose .... Have to raid the cellar to see which vintage... Maybe 2016 by memory.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Xmas this year will be with some friends at an Airbnb house in Devon.
At this stage I am eyeing off a 2011 La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion and possibly a magnum of Muga Prado Enea Gran Reserva 2010. Both have been bouncing around cupboards for a couple of years without ever being drunk, so I do have some concerns about storage.

Not sure yet in regards to a white... I have one bottle of Chapoutier Chante Alouette Hermitage blanc 2017 left, might fit the bill.
Plenty of options if I could pick from my Aussie cellar, but unlikely I would be back in Oz before xmas!

Now where in the UK could I find a good sparkling shiraz without paying triple the correct price???
------------------------------------
Sam

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

sjw_11 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:30 am
Now where in the UK could I find a good sparkling shiraz without paying triple the correct price???
Not easy at all. Occasionally Noel Young Wines would get odd bottles in, but usually a bit pricey. Australian wine centre have just the two - Lehmann's Black Queen, plus my favourite of the genre: Primo Joseph. The catch is they don't split (half) cases, so it's £290/6 (albeit free delivery)

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

That’s just a smidgen above Aussie retail for Joseph. Not too bad. I’d go six drink then over the next six Christmases. May see a bit of development. I’m not sure how Joseph ages? Always been a Rockford guy though patience has been tested.

Bytown Rick

Post by Bytown Rick »

Thank you for reminding me to start thinking about this.

Of the OZ wines that I will be popping over the holidays and in the weeks beyond, here is what I am thinking about. I will also be looking at some new world/old world wines as well. :mrgreen:

• 1999 E&E Black Pepper Sparkling Shiraz (last bottle)
• 2003 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling
• 2013 Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay
• 1998 Noon Reserve Cabernet
• 1998 Noon Reserve Shiraz
• 1998 Rockford Basket Pressed Shiraz

Comments/suggestions?

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Nice one Rick.

The 2013 LEAS Chardonnay should be a treat.

I’ve never drank any Noon wine with that much age on it, will be keen to hear how they go.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:20 am That’s just a smidgen above Aussie retail for Joseph. Not too bad. I’d go six drink then over the next six Christmases. May see a bit of development. I’m not sure how Joseph ages? Always been a Rockford guy though patience has been tested.
I’ve got a couple of Joseph from a few years ago, so certainly not much age on them. Debating whether I grab one of those, or a WDC, also without much age on it? By the sounds the Joseph may be a better option if there’s a query over it’s longer term potential.

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

I'd suggest that Joseph is not a candidate for extended ageing, as the aged character and complexity is built into it from the get-go. I've started tucking into a six pack that I have professionally cellared for 20+ years, and although the bottles are in perfect condition, the dosage really does tend to dominate. It's like drinking a tawny port with bubbles. Not a terrible thing, but not what I want in a SS. The Rockfords I kept for the same time have been delicious but not super-complex.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Good tip. I won’t bother with the Joseph.

I adore old Black Shiraz from good vintages at 10 +

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

kenzo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:21 pm It's like drinking a tawny port with bubbles.
As an aside, I tried some sparkling black coffee this weekend. It's from Italy and moderately sweetened as is not uncommon when they drink espresso. One of those things that takes a bit of contemplation to decide if you like it or not, though probably not so unusual to anyone that likes iced coffee.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

kenzo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:21 pm I'd suggest that Joseph is not a candidate for extended ageing, as the aged character and complexity is built into it from the get-go. I've started tucking into a six pack that I have professionally cellared for 20+ years, and although the bottles are in perfect condition, the dosage really does tend to dominate. It's like drinking a tawny port with bubbles. Not a terrible thing, but not what I want in a SS. The Rockfords I kept for the same time have been delicious but not super-complex.
Interesting. I am not sure any of the ones I buy, WDCE, Peter Lehmann, St Hallett and Rockford suffer from this. I usually have the Rockfords for 5-6 years before I drink them.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

I'll be opening a Seppelt OSS with about 10-15 years on it depending on which one I can find easily.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

mjs

Post by mjs »

VinoEd wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:42 am I’m heading back to Adelaide for family Christmas, so will grab a few different bottles of sparkling, white and red from the cellar to contribute to the festivities. I haven’t quite landed the selections yet, however thinking some sparkling red, 10+ year old Riesling (SA) and Chardonnay (WA), and likely a couple of reds - will decide once the weather forecast becomes clear - and a fortified, also to be determined (however I don’t have a huge range so happy to take any recommendations).

What are others thinking and any favourites you wheel out each year?

Cheers Ed
Current forecast here is 21 deg, cloudy, medium chance of showers, 0-1mm rain

Haven't sorted Xmas booze yet!
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

I haven't either but there's a few Coonawarra's a few old St Peter's. A little 02/12/22 Drumborg Riesling run. A 90 Eileen Hardy Shiraz. A 98 Maurice O'Shea, plus a 15 yo MaCallan and a botanist gin to take care of.

Can feel multiple hangovers already :oops: :oops:
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

The inlaws prefer sweet wine and rum, so the fine wine this week will just be for me. Given the weather forecast for Melbourne it looks like it will be a time for Red rather than white. The 67 Kaiser Stuhl will impress everyone, while I tuck into some 90’s Cabernet.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

We got the meat for roasting today, so now to think what would go with stuffed partridge?

Probably some red Burg / Pinot Noir, or Piemontese Nebbiolo, or something else on the lighter side of medium bodied and/or with good age on it... or maybe one of the more substantial Timorasso wines from Derthona?

mjs

Post by mjs »

Ian S wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:13 am We got the meat for roasting today, so now to think what would go with stuffed partridge?

Probably some red Burg / Pinot Noir, or Piemontese Nebbiolo, or something else on the lighter side of medium bodied and/or with good age on it... or maybe one of the more substantial Timorasso wines from Derthona?
Ian,
Sounds great, although partridge doesn't make that much of an appearance in Oz at the Xmas table for lunch. I'd go a solid red Burg, something from '05 or '09 perhaps
cheers and best wishes
Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

After spending all day in the garden and a couple of cleansing Peroni's a bottle of 2002 Petaluma Riesling with King George Whiting.
Absolutely fabulous, the faintest gold with a green hue, lovely acid on the palate, but such easy comfortable drinking.
A joke to think this is 21 years young...have a couple of cases to go. A fabulous wine.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

mjs wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:12 pm
Ian S wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:13 am We got the meat for roasting today, so now to think what would go with stuffed partridge?

Ian,
Sounds great, although partridge doesn't make that much of an appearance in Oz at the Xmas table for lunch. I'd go a solid red Burg, something from '05 or '09 perhaps
cheers and best wishes
Malcolm
Thanks for the suggestion Malcolm, candidates would be
2001 Domaine Drouhin-Laroze Latricières-Chambertin
2009 Frederic Esmonin Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Estournelles-St.-Jacques
2009 Frederic Esmonin Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux St. Jacques
2015 Domaine Joblot Givry 1er Cru Clos de la Servoisine
1993 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Volnay 1er Cru Clos des Chênes
1993 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Volnay 1er Cru Santenots-Du-Milieu
2002 Domaine Maume Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux St. Jacques

oh and a nuits st george from 1980, with the label badly torn, so I've no idea who the producer is! I picked it up this week in a local wine shop that had some rather old remnants from a deceased's cellar they were offloading at £5 a bottle. I do have a taste / tolerance of over-mature wine, so it's the sort of gamble I enjoy (and there's still red in the colour of each bottle I bought). Indeed I opened one tonight, a 1982 G. Meffre Crozes-Hermitage, that's definitely and unsurprisingly fading, but still with some decent interest. Probably the pick of the £5 lots I got was a 1975 Monte Real Gran Reserva Rioja. I missed out on the Loire saumer-champigny which apparently was singing, but conversely lots of other wines got tipped down their sink. Weird curio of the collection was surely the 1982 Inniskillen Gamay Noir. I can only guess this was a gift from a visiting Canadian.

I'm probably leaning towards one of the Esmonin Gevreys, but open to be talked in the direction of something else

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Primo Estate Joseph 2001 disgorgement - the best bottle so far out of 9 I have cellared for the past 20+ years. Whilst the others have had a tawny port taste to the fore, this had the fruit to keep the older material at bay and was a delicious drink. Just 3 more left out of the original 9, and I'll try to get to the remainder next Christmas.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

which rather keeps the discussion open as to how the Primo Joseph fizz ages :)

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

p.s. ended up switching to the Maume, which was fortunate as the cork was wet almost to the top (and broke), but it did go very well with the partridge (and roasted veggies & roast tatties). Gravy got a big boost of richness from the remnants of the Crozes-Hermitage.

Not a great red burg (nor a bad one) - elements of it shone, but somewhat disjointed overall.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Regardless Ian, I am sure it was all very enjoyable.

Different food here, all cold, lobster (or crayfish), prawns, salmon two ways, chicken, salads, followed by pudding and pavlova! Not great for reds, but it didn’t stop us. Had a ‘08 Wynns John Riddoch which was still so youthful, plenty of fizz and some other miscellaneous wines as you do. Very enjoyable.
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

A fairly simple selection for us to see us through the day:
Seppelt OSS 1995 (loved this)
Lanson Vintage 2008 (big wine that needs time)
Simonnet Febvre Petit Chablis 2022 (not bad)
Orlando Jacaranda Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 (amazing bottle)
Tyrrell's Futures Selection Shiraz 1985 (quite mature but holding up well)

Cf
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Had various bottles of bubbles, a few Riesling (WDC Mallard and some Rieslingfreak), 2003 Clarendon Hills Cabernet and 2009 Penley Estate reserve both via magnum and a 2009 Wendouree Shiraz. All good drinking.

Highlight of the week was the 1999 St Peters though, absolutely singing.

Merry Christmas all. Cheers Ed

Con J

Post by Con J »

Christmas Day was the usual lamb and chicken Gyro with a 1996 Chateau Reynell Basket Press Shiraz.

A few days before Christmas we had a neighbourhood street party and opened the following. Poured myself a decent glass and passed it along.

Started with 2014 Produttori del Barbaresco then 1980 Lake’s Folly Cabernet, 1996 Leasingham Classic Clare Shiraz, at this stage I was getting followed and chased like I was on heat. Followed by 2002 Sepplt St Peters and 1971 Wynn’s Black Label.

All were a joy but the star was the St Peters.

Cheers Con.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

mjs wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:56 am Different food here, all cold, lobster (or crayfish), prawns, salmon two ways, chicken, salads, followed by pudding and pavlova! Not great for reds, but it didn’t stop us.
Rellies in Perth have taken to making breakfast the big family event on the day (and when midday temperature is nearing 40C, that does make sense to me). Of course that's not a time of day conducive to reds either (whereas a glass of riesling doesn't feel out of place).

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Ian S wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:39 am which rather keeps the discussion open as to how the Primo Joseph fizz ages :)
I'd still say you'd want to consume within 10 years or so IMHO. I've a few more vintages coming down the line so will comment further moving forward. I still think it's great off the bat and with a few years to settle in bottle. Mixed bag with lengthy ageing thus far. 2001 DG Rockford tonight was superb again however...