Cellar Reduction Plan Gone Wrong.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Con J

Cellar Reduction Plan Gone Wrong.

Post by Con J »

Hi Guys.

About this time last year I decided a few things.

1 - Reduce my cellar size so I can manage it better.

2 - Reduce cellar size by selling about 20% of my cellar.

3 - Most will be my high end imports and a few bits and pieces.

4 - Relates to #3, hang up my high end wine glasses. Only keep a few bottles for special occasions.

5 - Redirection, focus on old Aussie wine and fortified. Drinking and buying.

6 - Try not to buy too much more than I drink.

A year later.

Selling going great, sold about a third of the 20% and getting some decent returns.
I’ve only opened a few imports, glasses still hanging up.
Redirection going great, haven’t bought any imports and drinking more Aussie stuff.

Now the problem!

Not only did I buy more than I drank, I bought more than I sold.
Now my cellar has increased by about 4%.

Cheers Con.

WineRick

Re: Cellar Reduction Plan Gone Wrong.

Post by WineRick »

Join the club!

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

A lateral thinking suggestion - consider taking up a new hobby that will take some of your attention away from wine. Sharing your spare time with some other distractions can help take away some of the prompts that lead us to buying.

Barney

Post by Barney »

That's exactly what I did a few years ago when planning an early retirement which starts at the end of next week, diverted a large part of my wine spend to the purchase of some pretty high end woodworking tools and machinery for use in my next life as a furniture maker.

The good bit is that it worked on the wine front with a steady reduction of wines I have in my cellar over the last few years so that worked however now have a new obsession with wood working gear and am in fact off to Total Tools to collect a new mitre saw this afternoon. Do still have an interest in wine but spend far more time now in the shed or looking at woodworking forums and videos which for me personally is far better for my mental and physical heath as was drinking more than was good for me.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

What a lovely example of that idea in practice Barney!

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Con J wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:43 pm

Now the problem!

Cheers Con.
Give up, Con. You've got the bug like the rest of us!
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

I have a similar story Con. I am 40% through selling off my long term storage wines, but the “drink soon” pile at home is increasing with every auction. I have upped my drinking rate, but that’s from a low base. In the old days I used to open 3 or 4 tasting bottles on a Monday and watch how they develop over the week. That would put a dint in the collection, but I cant keep that pace up any more.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Cellar capacity will be dictated by storage rates. I am currently going to war against a company who has an operations team who thinks its perfectly ok to slug me with a 21% rental increase. Our reviews are based on market forces...what bullshit. Would be appreciative if anyone can help me out with other SA options.
Cellar capacity will also be dictated by space, which I have almost run out of. That said 2021/22 vintages will be my absolute last...its a relief actually, that I can see the day where i will make my last purchases. With respect, its also a relief that the 2023 vintage is rather mixed, late vintage in many regions with growers praying that sugar levels catch up before berry spilt/mould takes place. If there were any last grapes to be picked in SA this week, they wouldn't...rain rain and more rain coming.

Still, largely first world problems.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Con J

Post by Con J »

Yeah mate I get hit every year for my offsite storage.

Few great ideas there guys.

Actually the last couple of months I’ve been watching you tube on working with metal, I was an apprentice fitter and turner for a couple of years.

When I was younger I loved tinkering with my Holden’s.
On Sunday I bought a 1975 HJ Holden Statesman, 5 litre V8, Turbo 400 transmission, no reg, no road worthy.
So I’ve been pulling out my old tools that haven’t been touched for about 25 years. As I’m pulling them out I’m starting to realise that I can get a obsessive with my hobbies.

Cheers Con.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Con J

Post by Con J »

Couple more photos.😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

If it brings joy, do it!

mjs

Post by mjs »

Con J wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:41 pm Yeah mate I get hit every year for my offsite storage.

Few great ideas there guys.

Actually the last couple of months I’ve been watching you tube on working with metal, I was an apprentice fitter and turner for a couple of years.

When I was younger I loved tinkering with my Holden’s.
On Sunday I bought a 1975 HJ Holden Statesman, 5 litre V8, Turbo 400 transmission, no reg, no road worthy.
So I’ve been pulling out my old tools that haven’t been touched for about 25 years. As I’m pulling them out I’m starting to realise that I can get a obsessive with my hobbies.

Cheers Con.
Con,

From your post, it's all falling into place for me now :lol: :lol:

But seriously, have had a similar problem since leaving you guys in Melbourne and coming to Adelaide a couple of years ago. Cellar storage, how much longer do I want to keep buying new stock given that I like older wines. My mate grb2001 doesn't even buy green banana these days :lol: :lol: , I need to drink quicker than I buy. At least I didn't get into the MW auction this week :lol: :lol:

Well, been pretty much a failure so far. Cellar at home is full and off site storages in Adelaide and Melbourne are still full, and charges for these storages have increased substantially in the last 12-18 months. Perhaps I just feel a bit uncomfortable drinking $50-$80 bottles of wine every night :lol: :lol: and keep buying too many cheapies. Like you, I have a keen interest in older stuff, perhaps not so much the fortifieds, but old nevertheless. Have pulled a solitary single bottle out of storage in Melbourne since leaving there. Approx 0.15% of stock in that storage :D :D. perhaps some off lines in Adelaide would help?

From your point of view, can I suggest you put on another tasting or two like that legendary Wynns tasting a couple years ago, given enough notice, I'd be happy to attend any such events :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Would certainly help to draw down the cellar. Wouldn't have to focus so much on the tool chests :lol: :lol:

All fabulous first world problems of course. What an enjoyable hobby we all enjoy.

cheers, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Con J

Post by Con J »

Yeah I think I’ve been more of a collector rather than a drinker then last few years. Maybe a new hobby should be drinking.

I’d love to do another Wynn’s night, that was a great night. Yes it did put a dint in the cellar but I bogged it up pretty quick.

Doubled up on a photo, missed this one.

Cheers Con.

mjs

Post by mjs »

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Con J wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:43 pm Hi Guys.

About this time last year I decided a few things.

1 - Reduce my cellar size so I can manage it better.

2 - Reduce cellar size by selling about 20% of my cellar.

3 - Most will be my high end imports and a few bits and pieces.

4 - Relates to #3, hang up my high end wine glasses. Only keep a few bottles for special occasions.

5 - Redirection, focus on old Aussie wine and fortified. Drinking and buying.

6 - Try not to buy too much more than I drink.

A year later.

Selling going great, sold about a third of the 20% and getting some decent returns.
I’ve only opened a few imports, glasses still hanging up.
Redirection going great, haven’t bought any imports and drinking more Aussie stuff.

Now the problem!

Cheers Con.
I look back at all my resolutions over the years and none of them have ever been achieved (except one - I no longer buy Shiraz)

I still need to buy more Champagne and interesting whites. I still need to reduce my cellar (by drinking) and find more red fruited wines (with minimal Oak).

It's a lifetime journey mate.

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

Over a 3-4 year period I was able to reduce the size of my cellar by 115 bottles, then the 2021 vintage releases and 2022 Riesling releases hit the market! The 2021 reds and 2022 Rieslings has seen my collection balloon back up to mover 500 bottles. This does not include the 2021 Curly Flat Pinot Noirs (just released) and 2021 Mount Mary reds (when released later this year) to be purchased.

The upshot is I can relate to your post Con.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael