Top Canberra restaurants which do BYO?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TravisW

Top Canberra restaurants which do BYO?

Post by TravisW »

Afternoon all,

We just went to book a table at Aubergine for December and discovered to our horror that they no longer allow BYO (for any fee). Alas, it used to be our go-to place for a big night out.

Where else in Canberra does the elusive combo of top food and has some sort of BYO policy?

Cheers, Travis.

redstuff

Re: Top Canberra restaurants which do BYO?

Post by redstuff »

Artisan.
http://www.theartisanrestaurant.com.au/Home.htm

last time I went there it was BYO.

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

Didn't like the Artisan - trying too hard to be fine dining, and falling short of the mark in just about every aspect.

Pistachio at Torrens does BYO, but it isn't the same class as Aubergine. Atmosphere not there, but food is very good.
www.vinographic.com

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

ooo, forgot to mention, Lanterne Rooms is BYO - though sometimes the spices don't agree with the wines. We took a Helm Half-Dry 2013 Riesling, and a Hently Farm The Beauty 2006 on our last visit. The crispy tom yum prawns with melon and apple slaw are the best dish in canberra.
www.vinographic.com

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

Pulp Kitchen does BYO, and is apparently much improved since the change of owners. Haven't been there yet myself.

Boathouse by the Lake also have this message on their website:

"While we don't allow BYO please discuss with our staff if you have a special bottle you would like to bring in."
www.vinographic.com

Duncan Disorderly

Post by Duncan Disorderly »

I had lunch at Pulp Kitchen three weeks ago and it was lovely. They have a 2 courses for $33 and 3 for $43 deal which was great value.

They also have a small selection of wines at reasonable prices.

shauno

Post by shauno »

Ottoman does BYO, good food too :)
I'll drink to that :)

Duncan Disorderly

Just out of interest if there is a BYO restaurant that everyone's keen on, how about we all get a fancy bottle or two and have one of these 'offlines' like those in Sydney and Melbourne are want to indulge in???

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Sounds good to me Duncan!

dan_smee

Post by dan_smee »

www.vinographic.com

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

Quay & now Aubergine: are you starting to suspect a conspiracy, Travis? :wink:
Last edited by Mark Carrington on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Carrington

Post by Mark Carrington »

dan_smee wrote:ooo, forgot to mention, Lanterne Rooms is BYO - though sometimes the spices don't agree with the wines. We took a Helm Half-Dry 2013 Riesling, and a Hently Farm The Beauty 2006 on our last visit. The crispy tom yum prawns with melon and apple slaw are the best dish in canberra.

Appears there's been a policy change: the web site advises BYO excluded.

dlo

Post by dlo »

TravisW wrote:Afternoon all,

We just went to book a table at Aubergine for December and discovered to our horror that they no longer allow BYO (for any fee). Alas, it used to be our go-to place for a big night out.

Where else in Canberra does the elusive combo of top food and has some sort of BYO policy?

Cheers, Travis.

I have been a client of, and always held high praise for Aubergine for many, many years. No longer, if the above is the case. A very sad development. I always gladly offered a taste/glass of everything I could salvage to owner/chef Ben Willis and his most excellent staff. :evil:
Cheers,

David

Peter Schlesinger

Post by Peter Schlesinger »

Last time I looked, Rubicon in Griffith still offered a BYO option at, I think, about $15 pb. Owen Kenyon has been running this place for over a decade and his team consistently provide a quality product. I've also never had a problem with BYO at Courgette. I think the real questions are how many big night out restaurants are there in Canberra and which of them offer a BYO option. I have no problems with a restaurant refusing a request for BYO. It's their restaurant and their rules. I ask when I book, explain what I intend to bring and, if I get a knock back, just go elsewhere. Canberra is a small place but I've never found a shortage of alernatives as long as I arrange the booking at least a week in advance of the dining event.

The fish

Post by The fish »

I'd second votes for Rubicon and the Ottoman - Rubicon has always been accomodating with my requests. I'd suggest that if Aubergine has indeed changed it's policy its more a sign of the current state of the Canberra dining market than any deliberate move to block BYO.

After lurking for a while and continually reading about those Sydney-centric quality booze extravaganzas I'd be keen to participate in a Canberra offline. TravisW, Duncan, Dan, Dlo and others is there sufficient interest to get the numbers together for an offline event here?

Cheers
Matt

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I sent off an email to Aubergine explaining our situation and they very kindly have made an exception in this instance. I got the impression that it is a one-off. The BYO bottle charge will be a little steep but fair call, it's their restaurant and it's their policy. It's a shame because we love the food and atmosphere at Aubergine, so it looks like this will be our last meal there for a long time.

Mark C - And here I was saying that "everywhere" does BYO in Australia. Oooops.

Very keen to catch up with some of the other beautiful people of Canberra in an Auswine Forum Canberra Offline. Maybe in the New Year when things slow down a touch? Any ideas on a restaurant and/or theme?

Cheers, Travis.

Duncan Disorderly

Mid to late January sounds like a plan as my diary is filling up pretty quickly between now and early Jan.

Perhaps given the summer heat half white and half red might be an option, maybe riesling (aged?) or semillon and pinot noir or gamay, with a sticky or two thrown in for good measure.

There seem to be a wealth of options...

The fish

Post by The fish »

Mid to late January and possibly even early February sounds like a plan to me. Getting a booking between now and Xmas would be nigh on impossible. We can keep a tally of interested parties here in this thread for now and as we flesh out the plans move it to it's own thread?

Possible theme: half white and half red - like your line of thinking Duncan. Open to discussion as we move forward.

Possible Venues: Rubicon, Courgette, Sage, Aubergine, Ottoman, Soju Girl, 2601 - is there anything in the Nishi complex these days that's any good?

Throw up your suggestions. Irrespective of corkage restrictions there is almost always room for negotiation with venues when you're looking at a fixed menu/tasting style event. Ideally somewhere that's a bit private and with semi decent glassware would be a plus. The Ginger Room formerly at Old Parliament House had a private dining room and the food wasn't bad - does anyone know if it's still an option under the new operators?

Possible Attendees: Travis W, Duncan Disorderly, The fish - let us know if you're interested by posting here.

Feel free to put forward possible dates, venues and themes up here for now and we'll make it work somehow. Either way it would be a bit of fun and a great opportunity to share some wine with like minded people.

Cheers
Matt

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Does Rubicon still do BYO?

The fish

Post by The fish »

Hey Travis 8)

Last time I was there in February BYO was still the go there. $15 or $20 a bottle for corkage iIRC. Took a tasty little SC Pannell Syrah:)

Enjoy!

Cheers
Matt

PDG

Post by PDG »

I wouldn't say 'best' restaurant, but certainly the best Indian I've had in Canberra is Blu Ginger and that's BYO....pity about the atmosphere, or lack thereof...

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Thanks Matt.

We have a Birthday/Anniversary coming up. Got a nice 1999 bottle lined up for the 15 years.

Cheers, Travis.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

This old chestnut again. Bumpity bump bump.

Any new recommendations?

Cheers, Travis.

Sigmamupi

Post by Sigmamupi »

Since this thread commenced a couple of years ago some things thankfully remain the same but there are a few changes worth mentioning.

Rubicon in the Griffith shops continues to be the best option for byo without restriction and high food quality. Glassware and wine service are generally excellent.

Courgette continues to allow byo and most recent experience there late last year was very enjoyable.

Mezzalira in the city now allows byo again (@ $15 per bottle) after a high handed decision to ban it a few years ago. At the time that was no great loss as the food and service had gone seriously downhill. Four of us went for lunch earlier this week after a very favourable Canberra Times review and happily the review was accurate (not always the case with Canberra Times reviews). The food was excellent, glassware very good and service patchy.

For high level Asian, both Chairman and Yip (now in Barton) and Wild Duck (near the Kingston Foreshore) allow byo, have good glassware and have generally very enjoyable food. A special of moreton bay bugtails with noodles and XO sauce with a byo bottle of 2010 Giaconda chardonnay at Wild Duck was one of the most memorable dishes I had last year. I also highly recommend XO restaurant in the Narrabundah shops in the former Artisan site, although you have to be careful with the spice level of some dishes. It is licensed with an interesting drinks list but also allows byo and has good glassware.

C Seafood & Oyster Bar (which is actually on the site of the former C Dine restaurant) at the Kingston Foreshore also got a recent very good review in The Canberra Times, so we are shortly to give it a try. BYO is allowed and is $10 a bottle.

Your query is about top end places allowing byo but a couple of other lesser lights in my experience are worth a mention. Mr Wei’s in the city is mid-level and does an excellent Peking Duck if you want something to accompany a red burgundy or Otago pinot. The large glasses are inherited from the French restaurant that previously occupied the site. My favourite cheap and cheerful byo is Pho@Dickson which has the best and most genuine Vietnamese food in Canberra. The glassware is terrible so take your own box of Riedels and a bottle of an aromatic white and you will have a good match with the cuisine.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

It's been five years so time for a bump.

Any additions to the list, or any restaurants we need to remove?

Many thanks,

Travis

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I can't recommend any restaurants, as it has been 27 years since being in Canberra.

However, I am likely to be there in the last week or so of November 2022, and would be interested in an offline.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Since the pandemic the number of restaurants allowing BYO in Canberra has shrunk
The Boat House, Pomegranate and Rubicon are strict on no BYO now, those that do often don't advertise that and/or charge a high corkage fee, Chairman and Yip is $35 pb now. I don't know if Courgette still allow BYO. Ottoman closed a couple of years ago, was supposed to reopen elsewhere, but hasn't happened yet.

The only BYO places I've been to in recent times (apart from some basic Thai places) are Bella Vista (Italian, Belconnen) and Wild Duck (up market Chinese, Kingston), both of those can cater for groups, Wild Duck has the ability for private rooms for 10 or more and we've had several wine group dinners there. Wild Duck is about $20pb, negotiable to $20/head for groups if that works better.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

An offline would be great fun Allan. Count us in.

Many thanks for your info Brian. I might have to make a few enquiries. Our go to place was always Rubicon as the food is good and you can actually hear people talking.

Cheers, Travis

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

My plans are firming, and I might be looking at Wednesday November 23 for an offline. Does this work for Canberra's Auswine Forumites?

I used to attend / arrange quite a few offlines up until 2016, and on those occasions, I generally represented WA vs whichever state or region I was in. What grape varieties or wine styles does Canberra do very well? I believe riesling is up there, and I would be heppy to bring a couple fo decent WA examples (for a start).

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

rooman

Post by rooman »

Hi, I was in Canberra a month ago and had a bizarre but highly enjoyable eight course degustation dinner at a small BYO cafe two locals took me to called VIIN in Pearce. During the day the owner who is Vietnamese but French trained runs an extremely low key unpretentious cafe selling coffees and croissants.

But come nighttime he operates a bookings only degustation meal for people who phone ahead for a table, no walk-ins. On the night we were there, there were only three tables and the owner cooked all courses by himself behind the counter on a single hot plate. French cooking is clearly his love and passion.

The empty bottles around the walls however show those with decent cellars are more than happy calling ahead for a table.