Brisbane Offline - 21st April

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Rednick

Brisbane Offline - 21st April

Post by Rednick »

85 Miskin Street - one of our favorite offline venues is closing it's doors at the end of April

If there is any interest in an offline on the 21st I'm happy to organise, it's tasting menu only costing $120 + $15 per bottle corkage.

Sorry it's a school night but weekends have pretty much booked out already - if you are keen I'll need to book with the restaurant early next week as they are filling up fast.

Currently have

myself +1
Michael +1

Cheers - Nick

Waiters Friend

Re: Brisbane Offline - 21st April

Post by Waiters Friend »

85 Miskin is closing? End of an era. I recall being part of a couple of wonderful offlines years ago (even back when it was still called Brents). Excellent establishment, and its loss will be mourned.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Thanks for organising Nick. Iconic Brisbane Offline venue.

Might have to mark the occasion by bringing my last 2008 Marius Wines End Play.
And maybe a 2014 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre.

Might as well use it as an excuse to bring out the good stuff!

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Michael McNally

*bump

vovo

Post by vovo »

How did this go?
I've been away from the forum for a couple months and missed out.

Michael McNally

vovo wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:20 am How did this go?
I've been away from the forum for a couple months and missed out.
Sorry to miss you Clive.

It was just Nick, Mel, Yasmin and me, so we didn't really focus too much on the wine. From memory and brief notes:

2010 Grant Burge 'Helene' Grande Cuvee Tasmania Sparkling - no notes. Nice but not spectacular bubbles, with Nick noting the old school, toasty vibe. A very pleasant start.

2014 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre - my note says Lemon curd, wet stones and maybe a very feint curry leaf. Juicy acid and lemon. Some stone fruit and lemon pith. Minerally acidity. Great length.

2011 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne - my note says Fantastic nose of sous bois, pastrami, and raspberry. Beautiful from the first sip. Delicate. Fruit is deep set but subtle. Raspberry cookie. Excellent Burgundy.

2008 Marius Wines 'End Play' - found this wasn't my last bottle after all so that's a happy thing! Note says savoury, blackberry, floral. So sniffable. Palate full of life. Raspberry and cranberrry. Almost an Etna tannin profile. Didn't really get much better over the course of the evening so won't hold the other bottle too much longer.

The food was absolutely sensational. There was only the degustation menu available, but it was course after course of gastronomic delight. The highlights were the seafood bisque (and I'm not a big seafood fan), the confit duck and the baked choc-raspberry dessert. Such a shame we are losing this venure. :cry:

Cheers

Michael

vovo

Post by vovo »

Sounds like a good night was had even if not vinously geeked out.
Indeed what shame to lose, seems to be the trend recently. Hang around for a couple years then reinvent yourself. As the customer we are always wanting to try the new place the days of the "regular" are gone. Must be very stressful and tiring.
Soul bistro at Milton village and the French place in Auchenflower on Haig Rd disappeared while I was over seas and now 85 Miskin. Need some new quality BYO spots

rens

Post by rens »

vovo wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:34 pm Sounds like a good night was had even if not vinously geeked out.
Indeed what shame to lose, seems to be the trend recently. Hang around for a couple years then reinvent yourself. As the customer we are always wanting to try the new place the days of the "regular" are gone. Must be very stressful and tiring.
Soul bistro at Milton village and the French place in Auchenflower on Haig Rd disappeared while I was over seas and now 85 Miskin. Need some new quality BYO spots
Hi Clive
My wife and I went the following night. We did the BYO and had some German Rizzer and a bottle of 2001 Bin 707.
We were one of the first to arrive before the place really got cranking. Kylie (Front of house) and her husband Brent (Chef) have been there for 16 years. My wife and I have been going for about 15-first as Brent's and now as 85 Miskin. We had a good chat and Brent apparently had a Cancer scare last year and has reprioritised things in life. So They're taking 6 months off. Then Kylie would like to go into Real Estate and Brent is going to be spending much time on his boat and flipping and renovating houses. They own the building and will be leasing it out so there will be a bit of income from that.
Very sad to see it go, but the last menu was a cracker. I thought the Seafood Bisque was superb as a non-seafood person. The duck and lamb shoulder were also beautiful. Very fond memories of the many superb outings.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity