Old Australians From Climate Controlled Storage.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
phillisc

Re: Old Australians From Climate Controlled Storage.

Post by phillisc »

Will have to keep an eye out for some of these Malcolm...birth year for one of my lads.
Interestingly, in the last 6 months have had quite a few 97 Coonawarra's, Lindies trio, Bowen, Zema, Petaluma, Wynns, all drinking very nicely.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

JamieBahrain wrote:Strange week of weather in Adelaide. Slowly acclimatising to the vagaries of southern summers. Went for a few lighter reds ( style and maturity ) and a more recent Chardonnay.

Shaw & Smith M3 Chardonnay 2008- A modest expression of Adelaide Hills Chardonnay. Colour is youthful, development is not happening as the screw cap preserves the wine’s youth in subdued fashion. I think I’ll leave the other two a decade and see what happens. I had a few fantastic Petaluma Piccadilly’s last month from 04 that where offering great interest as they’d developed into mature Chardonnay’s.
I shall have to look and see if my 2005 Shaw & Smith M3 is cork or screwcap sealed to see how to proceed. I had been thinking that it might need drinking but your note is very reassuring.

Cheers ......................... Mahmoud.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Mahmoud Ali wrote: In 2003, when it was 12 years old I opened a bottle of the Koonunga Hill and it had developed beautifully, so much so that a wine store manager at the table remarked that it was better than the latest 1997 Penfold's releases that he had recently sampled.
I drank a bottle of 1990 Koonunga Hill in 2019 that a friend had given me - I think he paid about $4 for it! It was superb - lovely and smooth and had obviously been well stored.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

WAwineguy wrote:
Mahmoud Ali wrote: In 2003, when it was 12 years old I opened a bottle of the Koonunga Hill and it had developed beautifully, so much so that a wine store manager at the table remarked that it was better than the latest 1997 Penfold's releases that he had recently sampled.
I drank a bottle of 1990 Koonunga Hill in 2019 that a friend had given me - I think he paid about $4 for it! It was superb - lovely and smooth and had obviously been well stored.
Given label-creep at Penfolds, it wouldn’t surprise if the grapes that used to go into KH now go into St Henri or RWT.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Not much to report. Drank foreign gear this week for the most part. Couldn’t get to the deepest, darkest parts of the cellar though did find a stash of Kalleske including Johann George. Alas, an 03 corked. Pity. Will try another in time. I realise not an “old” Aussie however it looks in great nick, fresh despite the hot vintage, and then the muting wafts of wet cardboard settled in.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

My cellar is a mess. There’s about three hundred bottles of young Barolo and Barbaresco blocking free movement. These were drop-offs before COVID from friends and family coming back from HK, as well as myself. Anyways I can’t get to some of the “older” stuff yet. I had a beautiful bottle of Kalleske Reserve Grenache 2003. Super-ripe vintage notes are preserved by proper cellaring, mellow and now mixed up in excellent fruit complexity. There’s a delicate skeletal structure still remaining- a wine at its precipitous maturation summit. A 2004 Kalleske Greenock was going great guns too. Soft and again mellow with age, so easy to drink and loaded with Barossan flavour. An 03 Kalleske Greenock was refreshing with odd spritz notes on the palate. A corked 03 will be kindly replaced.

I was the unlucky one whose case of 2002 Petaluma Riesling was in cork! Wow now here’s convincing support for stelvin. Three bottles, two of which were more than drinkable though having that almost sickly notes of ripe fruit that’s been bruised by oxidation. Another bottle was superb! Razor-sharp and complex, colour still youthful. Is the variation of Petaluma Riesling under cork 90’s Elizabeth like? From this small sample it seems so.

Two bottles of Shaw and Smith M3 2008. One was OK, dull. The next I drank out of Zalto Burgundy glasses and wow what a treat! Stunning aromatics and ultra-elegant on the palate, though appropriately weighted. A 2007 Shaw and Smith Shiraz showed polish and craft in an excellent Hill’s framework and grace.

Gotta get to the pre-2000’s Aussies of which many should be a treat.

Teobaldo Cappellano

Tucker Wine Studios

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

Hi Jamie, now that you mentioned Kalleske …. my first Kalleske wine was the 2004 Greenock Shiraz, which I really loved on release. I also remember a fantastic 2006 OV Grenache. Later I brought a 2006 JG Shiraz to an Adelaide offline and it was great, maybe opened a bit too young at that time. More recently I wasn’t so lucky with a 2003 JG Shz, which I got from PALS. Cork looked pristine but the wine was oxidised and undrinkable. I was a bit disheartened and had not much hope for a bottle of the 2003 Greenock Shz which I bought a decade ago at auction. But this time I was lucky, kaboom, what a wine, so rich and opulent, sure lots of oak and rum’n’raisins flavours, but integrated and balanced and settled (no spritz here). Made it to my all time top 10 wine list. Couple of months ago I opened my only bottle of the 2002 Greenock Shz, I think the first release, and wasn’t disappointed, a bit less thumping than the 2003 but excellent, no question. Kalleske now have an amazing variety of wines, some I like more than others (and I haven’t tried all of them). The Edward Shiraz is always quite impressive. I also like both of their Durifs, the Backboard and the CCCLXV. Also enjoyed a couple of bottles of their port-style JMK Shz. Cheers, Mario.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

JamieBahrain wrote:My cellar is a mess. There’s about three hundred bottles of young Barolo and Barbaresco blocking free movement. These were drop-offs before COVID from friends and family coming back from HK, as well as myself. Anyways I can’t get to some of the “older” stuff yet. I had a beautiful bottle of Kalleske Reserve Grenache 2003. Super-ripe vintage notes are preserved by proper cellaring, mellow and now mixed up in excellent fruit complexity. There’s a delicate skeletal structure still remaining- a wine at its precipitous maturation summit. A 2004 Kalleske Greenock was going great guns too. Soft and again mellow with age, so easy to drink and loaded with Barossan flavour. An 03 Kalleske Greenock was refreshing with odd spritz notes on the palate. A corked 03 will be kindly replaced.
Brief history, I was, I think, the first retailer to sell Kalleske Wines, having met Troy, and tried the wines before that first release when he was making them in a shed on the farm, and being SUPER impressed with them. That first vintage was, of course, before Old Vine Grenache, or Eduard, or Johann Georg, so ALL the fruit went into the

Greenock Shiraz and Grenache, I believe ( hoping my memory is correct?)

Anyway, going back into the depths of my cellar, which is much easier (read much smaller) than for Jamie, I discovered I still have 1 bottle of that first release.

That is, I have 1 pristine (cellared by me since its release) bottle of

2002 Kalleske Shiraz

hmmm, when to open that and try?? :roll: :roll:

regards

Gavin Trott

mjs

Post by mjs »

No present like the time ...

I'd say any time from now!
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

mjs wrote:No present like the time ...

I'd say any time from now!
+1 for me Gavin, at 20 years should be singing!!

Jamie can certainly confirm bottle variation in Petaluma Riesling...still have a few 91, 94, 97-99 and someone here commented once would be like drinking Singer sewing machine oil :shock: :wink: actually no.
What I can say that cork plays a part and that there is also bottle variation across a single vintage. I have never had one that is so oxidised, stripped or vinegar in character, but have had wide variation in colour, aroma and palate depth, so objectively a score out of ten have had 6/10-10/10.

2002 is interesting too, Con Michos who was the Petaluma winemaker at the time actually preferred cork, so that the wine could age gracefully. I have a few of each under cork/screwcap, so will need to get a move on. I have had two recent 2002 Leonay's, Pewsey Contours and Yalumba Handpicked and Heggie's. The Leonay's were stark, one magnificent, one OK. The Yalumba's probably past it if I am honest and the Pewsey Vale somewhere in between.

Cheers Craig

Tucker Wine Studios

Post by Tucker Wine Studios »

Hi Gavin, I opened and drank my 2002 Kalleske Shz bottle in April 2021. On that day, nothing special happened, except that I opened this bottle. Well, I agree, a special wine for the above-mentioned historical reasons. I drank it on my own, no distraction, gave it all the attention and respect it deserved. But still I feel lucky that this bottle turned out to be a good one, actually an excellent one. With the advanced age of this wine and being under cork, I guess every bottle that still exists of this wine will be somewhat unique. Now is a good time, but also no hurry to drink up. Enjoy. Cheers, Mario.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Talking about 2002, and now 20 years ago, tonight I opened a screw-capped Wynn's 2002 Coonawarra Riesling (13%). My what a lovely nose, a hint of petrol along with fragrant white flowers and green beans. The palate was equally good but with a hint of spiciness, acidity and a cleansing palate. The fragrance and spiciness had my better half suspecting a Gewurztraminer and then a German Riesling. Imagine her delight to find it an Aussie Riesling, from Coonawarra of all places.

Mahmoud.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Talking about 2002, and now 20 years ago, tonight I opened a screw-capped Wynn's 2002 Coonawarra Riesling (13%). My what a lovely nose, a hint of petrol along with fragrant white flowers and green beans. The palate was equally good but with a hint of spiciness, acidity and a cleansing palate. The fragrance and spiciness had my better half suspecting a Gewurztraminer and then a German Riesling. Imagine her delight to find it an Aussie Riesling, from Coonawarra of all places.

Mahmoud.
Snap!!
Drank one of these last Saturday, cap went pop when opened. I found it a pleasant drink, honeyed notes, soft, acid all gone, quite nice but didn't set the world on fire...have another half dozen to get through...but at $4 on release, pretty good buying.
Cheers Craig

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

That's odd Craig, my bottle still had good acidity. We had it with pan-fried salmon strips in teriyaki sauce.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes probably bottle variation. Will look at another.
Cheers Craig

mjs

Post by mjs »

Had a 2010 Wynns Riesling about a year ago. Have to say it was a fantastic wine, much better than I was expecting, showing some developed notes, still some freshness. Wonderful aged Australian riesling, and a bargain for the price.
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Gavin Trott wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:My cellar is a mess. There’s about three hundred bottles of young Barolo and Barbaresco blocking free movement. These were drop-offs before COVID from friends and family coming back from HK, as well as myself. Anyways I can’t get to some of the “older” stuff yet. I had a beautiful bottle of Kalleske Reserve Grenache 2003. Super-ripe vintage notes are preserved by proper cellaring, mellow and now mixed up in excellent fruit complexity. There’s a delicate skeletal structure still remaining- a wine at its precipitous maturation summit. A 2004 Kalleske Greenock was going great guns too. Soft and again mellow with age, so easy to drink and loaded with Barossan flavour. An 03 Kalleske Greenock was refreshing with odd spritz notes on the palate. A corked 03 will be kindly replaced.
Brief history, I was, I think, the first retailer to sell Kalleske Wines, having met Troy, and tried the wines before that first release when he was making them in a shed on the farm, and being SUPER impressed with them. That first vintage was, of course, before Old Vine Grenache, or Eduard, or Johann Georg, so ALL the fruit went into the

Anyway, going back into the depths of my cellar, which is much easier (read much smaller) than for Jamie, I discovered I still have 1 bottle of that first release.

2002 Kalleske Shiraz

I vaguely recall you joined Andrew Jordan and Yours truly at the winery in 2004. I bought 4 cases at that 02 Shiraz and have less than one left now. Still my favourite wine by Troy.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

Had a 2001 Henschke Springton 'Vineyard selection reserve' Riesling presented to me amongst some other things. (was stored correctly from birth i was told)
Not much happening here. Although colour was great in the glass it was fairly flat on the nose. Let it warm up and gave it a chance but there was next to no development here for an aussie riesling of this age IMO.
Acid barely noticeable and there was nothing discerning or worth mentioning here nose or palate wise. I was even yearning for some much maligned kero notes but nothing doing......screw cap. :shock: :shock:

In contrast just finished a 6'er of Oliver's Taranga 2017 Fiano. What an awesome funky sulphury champ of a wine. Some crazy good floral and nutty notes here and big phat mouth feel. Can i say slightly voluptuous ? Character, depth and finish. Put the aforementioned Henschke rizz in the shade for days.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Mike Hawkins wrote:
Gavin Trott wrote:

2002 Kalleske Shiraz

I vaguely recall you joined Andrew Jordan and Yours truly at the winery in 2004. I bought 4 cases at that 02 Shiraz and have less than one left now. Still my favourite wine by Troy.
Yes, true

and

my recall is 'vague' also these days!! :roll: :roll:
regards

Gavin Trott

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Modest drinking of late due lack of occasion and weather. Interesting opportunity last night. I’ve been buying from auction as a depleting cellar is a little depressing. I had a bottle of Devil’s Lair 1997 Cabernet Merlot gifted to me long ago and one of these in magnum came up at auction so I bought it. Dramatic difference due cellaring. My 750ml still fresh, rounded and loaded with still plump fruit. Tannins still in evidence. A nice wine though a touch short. The magnum was BON and the cork a mess. Very tertiary and tired, leafey and autumnal. Rather dry as the tannins aren’t at all “fresh” nor lively like the 750ml. Still drinkable and a bit of air helped- though no comparison to the properly cellared example.

Teobaldo Cappellano

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Had some Katnook Cabernets which were nice in their style. A 2004 is drinking beautifully and a 98 magnum exemplified the house style. It hasn’t changed in price much over the years? If at all? I think they make solid wine having looked at this pair at maturity. Not much opinion here over the years? I wonder if it’s because their super-premium range is so in the face of wine lover types?

Teobaldo Cappellano

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

JamieBahrain wrote:Had some Katnook Cabernets which were nice in their style. A 2004 is drinking beautifully and a 98 magnum exemplified the house style. It hasn’t changed in price much over the years? If at all? I think they make solid wine having looked at this pair at maturity. Not much opinion here over the years? I wonder if it’s because their super-premium range is so in face of wine lover types?
Agree with your comments about the Cabernet being a solid wine and consistent in style. I visited there about 7-8 years ago, tried a number of back vintages at the time and were all lovely. The Cellar Door experience was one of my favorites that visit.
Since then, in recent years, I have only tried a few 2011s (apparently their block missed a lot the rain) they have been lovely. I have a number of 2012s locked away under screw cap, I am trying to give them at least 15 years. I have enjoyed their Shiraz and straight merlot too in the past.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

99 Katnook Cabernet, that I finished a couple of years ago were absolute crackers. Will be getting some of the 18/19 I think.
Yes the flagships, particularly Odyssey are a very smart wines, and agree under Stelvin, 20-25 years.
Cheers Craig

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I can see folks frustration with cork. I went to the cellar and got an old Block 6 to have with pizza. Corked! New protocol always grab a spare. Fortunately I had a Wild Duck Creek Reserve Shiraz 2012 on hand. Different enough in its style to be interesting.

The scary issue being I’m getting replacements for tainted Aussies however there’s statistically tens of thousands of dollars of foreign wine where TCA is plain tough luck.

Teobaldo Cappellano

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I had a Kalleske 2007 Greenock Shiraz last night. A replacement for a corked 02. Amber from CD kindly gave a choice of a few vintages they had and I took the 07 and it was beautiful! Lots of aged complexity on the palate and a very nice effort for 07. Troy’s done well for himself-long way from tasting in his garage. Had a platter at their CD in Greenock. Great spot and somewhere you’d love to to take a cheerful group.

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

JamieBahrain wrote:I can see folks frustration with cork. I went to the cellar and got an old Block 6 to have with pizza. Corked! New protocol always grab a spare. Fortunately I had a Wild Duck Creek Reserve Shiraz 2012 on hand. Different enough in its style to be interesting.

The scary issue being I’m getting replacements for tainted Aussies however there’s statistically tens of thousands of dollars of foreign wine where TCA is plain tough luck.
So they don't wish to concede that there is a problem with cork and their wine, for fear of reputation and instead lay the blame/excuse squarely at the purchaser...rather than offering a replacement and the word gets out that there are indeed issues!!??

I have never had a problem returning any wine here thankfully. Wonder what the local punter in France or Italy thinks when they have brought a wine from a producer up the road and the wine is stuffed, but simply no come back...very strange indeed. Equally, importers that choose to do nothing, despite ongoing complaints.
Cheers Craig

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

In my experience getting corked wine replaced isn’t a drama most of the time in Europe. It’s just not as easy as Australia and is not often done. Old World drinkers seem to inherently be accepting of TCA which has always been infuriating. This consumer complacency has IMO let the cork producers get away with slower quality improvements.

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

True Jamie, more like got away with murder. I have a smattering of international stuff, all purchased in Oz, they are probably all stuffed. I would hope I could at least have a conversation with the importer.
Cheers Craig

mjs

Post by mjs »

See my post under “what are you drinking”, replacement of a wine selected from cellars at the Edinburgh. Not quite the same as wine in our cellars. Was replaced but replacement really wasn’t much better. It really was a storage issue IMO rather than cork quality (TCA etc)
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

brodie

Post by brodie »

JamieBahrain wrote:In my experience getting corked wine replaced isn’t a drama most of the time in Europe. It’s just not as easy as Australia and is not often done. Old World drinkers seem to inherently be accepting of TCA which has always been infuriating. This consumer complacency has IMO let the cork producers get away with slower quality improvements.
I had a recent fairly lengthy conversation about this with some wine friends after two corked bottles of 2002 Hudelot Noellat Richebourg. The consensus amongst the group (all serious wine lovers with deep cellars) was as follows:

1. NZ has historically enjoyed remarkably good allocations of rare and sought after wines
2. The competition from overseas is very big (and getting worse each year) for the importers and retailers.
3. The NZ retailers/importers will give you a refund or credit for a corked bottle, but the chateau and domaines in France don't want to hear about so the $$ burden is on the NZ retailer
4. The group's view was that accepting corked bottles was an "acceptable" price to pay to retain these rare allocations, there was a fear that returning corked bottles would result in losing your allocation

I was a bit shocked as NZ (like Oz) has consumer protection laws for things like faulty goods. These are not mugs but serious punters but are willing accept this. No wonder we are stuck with f**king corks.

Brodie