Rockford 2021 Release

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Hacker

Rockford 2021 Release

Post by Hacker »

My Rag arrived yesterday and, amongst other things I read that already they are raving about the 2021 vintage as being the best ever. Rockford don’t normally make calls such as this so I trust their judgment. And all this with the 2018 vintage offering which has also universally been lauded as brilliant (not necessarily best ever).
Anyway I dived in for some of both the Rifle Range and of course the BP. When it comes to this winery I am happy to dive in despite cork seals. I’ve hardly ever been let down, and they always replace with the same vintage, something I believe only Rockford do. A year or so ago I had a 1996 BP which was horribly corked, and they replaced it with another superb 1996.
Thanks Robert and your team.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

phillisc

Re: Rockford 2021 Release

Post by phillisc »

Hacker, couldn't agree more.
Even replaced a bottle of the 96 RD Sparkling that was released near on 20 years ago...amazing.
Yes 2021 vintage rated the best of the last 5-6 vintages...Coonawarra winemakers are raving about. 19 also very smart.

Will visit next month, credit card willing :oops: :oops:

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Had to have a laugh and thought of you Dave Vino, but on the back of The Rag amongst the photo montage was a Black Shiraz birthday cake...so your fabby BP cake can continue the trend and would be a shoe in for next year.
I'm probably being a complete tosser, but have just finished a 14 metre long half metre high sandstone wall...being going since March and bloody hard yakka for an old bloke lifting 30 kg rocks and mixing mortar by hand. But perhaps should get a photo reading The Rag whilst drinking one of those sexy little half bottles :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Going to be another rather large spend.
Cheers Craig

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

80 bucks. Sheesh. OK I’ll grab 12. Certainly a crowd pleaser and I reckon the perfect Poor Man’s Grange in my experience. It has a cult-like reputation amongst the semi-knowledgable wine lovers.
Last edited by JamieBahrain on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

I’d love to grab 12 but alas my limit is 6. You fly in different circles to me.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

It’s becoming too expensive for many folks. Grab someone else’s allocation if keen?

Teobaldo Cappellano

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

This is one time I won't argue too much about price $11 for the '86 $78 for the '18, two to three dollars a vintage.
Not sure about the poor man's Grange sentiment or less knowledgeable wine folk. Always found it to be a well regarded consistent drop. Certainly a better wine than RWT.
BTW how do you get 12 bottles on release, 2 mailers, someone else's allocation, on forwarded as gift. I've never been that fortunate, usually involves a couple of visits or topping up with the public in March.
Cheers Craig

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I’d like 18 of the ‘18. A few SA retailers will carry it and Rockford will open it up for another dip again in March. In the interim I got 6 each of the Basket Press and Black Shiraz.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

[quote="Mike Hawkins"]I’d like 18 of the ‘18. A few SA retailers will carry it and Rockford will open it up for another dip again in March. In the interim I got 6 each of the Basket Press and Black Shiraz.[/quote]

I probably would too. Be interesting to see how it is reviewed and what the early drinkers say. 2018 was an incredible vintage for Grenache (and very good across the board), so I'm looking forward to the Dry Country Grenache coming out.

Cheers
ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes indeed, glad I purchased a dozen halves, will still get a dozen 750s...but a lovely opportunity to road test a half to see where a 750 might be. Might even need to get a magnum when they are released.
Cheers Craig

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Not a fan of 375ml. Magnums perfect to age Basket Press but they charge a silly premium. Perhaps if 375ml BP in screw cap it would be interesting to buy and age better?

Teobaldo Cappellano

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Has anyone tried the 2017 Dry Country Grenache and can comment on it? Thinking about dipping in, as I picked up some of the 2016 (but haven't tried as my cellar is in Australia).

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Received my Stone Wall membership tag today. Many thanks Rockford.

Regards